Talent Evaluation | Syracusefan.com

Talent Evaluation

dyedorange

Marginally on Topic
There's been talk lately about how SU's recruiting strategy has often relied on targeting guys that are maybe a little under the radar (or at least not top-25), and then developing them into complete players. Not that we're always looking for 'diamond in the rough' types, but we do seem to have a good deal of success with evaluating talent that other top teams may pass on. To the extent that's true, it got me wondering who on our staff is most critical to talent evaluation? Who's got the best eye when it comes to picking out undervalued recruits? I ask, because I have to think JB himself may be the answer to the above question, and I wonder how that will impact recruiting once he retires. Anyone have some perspective on how recruits are targeted and who's responsible for that...is it a team effort by our coaching staff, or more top-down, coming directly from JB?

We miss on our fair share of guys as well. Its a bit of a crap shoot trying to judge how a player will develop over the years. I do agree that SU has found plenty of guys that weren't too highly thought of and they became excellent players. TT was either completely missed by most of the evaluators or he improved a lot his senior season. (probably a bit of both) I think Sidibe is going to improve a lot as a senior as well. SOme of it is the developmental curve the player is on.

As to your question I think its JB's call in the end and since this has happened all throughout his tenure I think he's your most important talent evaluator.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom