Talent Level and Expectations with Babers | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Talent Level and Expectations with Babers

I'm taking the long view: marathon not sprint, and all that.
I expect to see gradual improvement, not the opposite as we saw last coupla years.
I see 5-6 wins, with a "best-case-scenario" possible shot at a bowl game, by season's end.

I think our Oline will need some time to develop but I think with HCDB offense it will be of help...pretty sure I heard there are lots of slants, outs, etc...so perhaps more 3 step drops...plays that won't require the line to be all pros to execute successfully but build confidence...I also think ED with a year under his belt can extend plays a bit with his legs as needed without full out scrambling...i think with our offense skill guys we see more large chunk/ yardage plays as well...Strickland will be a big part of that...I think we surprise as teams do every year...this will be our year finally to surprise...7 wins and a bowl...Go Cuse...

I think we're not going to recognize this team and the offense is going to make us feel more hopeful than we have since McNabb left... But our talent level will betray us a bit and we sneak into a bowl game... But the rest of the league will be on notice. Esp, NC State, Wake, BC, and Pitt.

Dabo and Jimbo will be wishing they still had the old staff to roll over.

I think our Oline will need some time to develop but I think with HCDB offense it will be of help...pretty sure I heard there are lots of slants, outs, etc...so perhaps more 3 step drops...plays that won't require the line to be all pros to execute successfully but build confidence...I also think ED with a year under his belt can extend plays a bit with his legs as needed without full out scrambling...i think with our offense skill guys we see more large chunk/ yardage plays as well...Strickland will be a big part of that...I think we surprise as teams do every year...this will be our year finally to surprise...7 wins and a bowl...Go Cuse...
I'm super excited about Stickland this year, I think he can be lined up in a lot of different places and cause mismatches against slower LBs. He could be our most explosive player on the offensive side of the ball so hopefully we can get him some space to do what he is capable of doing.

you watch the BG tape and you see most of what we did last year.. the difference us running twice as often so more chances for good plays. it really comes down to can your WR beat the press man coverage that will be there all game.

one thing that we dont really know but I think is true is that our Oline talent is better than the BG even with a new scheme and pace. if that is true many of the plays that broke down in the Tenn game done happen. BG had tons of chances in that game.. add to that we may have been disappointed in the D last year, they still were better in most areas than what BG put out there

cuse309 said:
I'd think he'll keep it fairly vanilla vs. Gate. He won't want to give away much vs. a really important Friday night game vs. L'Vile (yes that's L'VILE...not Ville. Their program is Vile). Granted they can watch a ton of BG film to prepare, but we have totaly different personel with different strengths and weaknesses. That being said, I would think winning by 3-4 t.ds should be expected vs. Colgate. I just look at how many games last year we were competitive in until the end. Babers system neutralizes superior talent, which to me, means that if the games were played in a vacuum, we are even with Louisville, and better than NC state for that 3rd spot behing Clemson and FSU. It also means we should beat Colgate, Wake, BC, Uconn, USF, and NC State All in all here is my if they played in a vacuum breakdown Should beat: Colgate USF Uconn Wake BC NC State (Not sure if they go in this category, but we get them at home) Toss up: Pitt Va Tech Louisville Not there yet: FSU Clemson ND So I'll go ahead and say if they played in the Dyson Dome, they finish with a record of 7-5.

I'm not sure he keeps it vanilla against Colgate. It's one of the things I'm curious to see, because it'll tell me alot about him.

Pasqualoni, Marrone and Shafer would ground it up and not take any chances in getting the "w".

I think Babers thinks differently. He wants to develop his team the way he plays...and it's always at full speed.

I think he opens it up and tries to score as much as possible to instill confidence in his system, and send notice.

His system isn't a secret...sending a warning shot is more important than hiding a wrinkle.

I'm not sure he keeps it vanilla against Colgate. It's one of the things I'm curious to see, because it'll tell me alot about him.

Pasqualoni, Marrone and Shafer would ground it up and not take any chances in getting the "w".

I think Babers thinks differently. He wants to develop his team the way he plays...and it's always at full speed.

I think he opens it up and tries to score as much as possible to instill confidence in his system, and send notice.

His system isn't a secret...sending a warning shot is more important than hiding a wrinkle.
I'm expecting a beat down the likes of which we've forgotten is even possible.

Jake said:
I'm not sure he keeps it vanilla against Colgate. It's one of the things I'm curious to see, because it'll tell me alot about him. Pasqualoni, Marrone and Shafer would ground it up and not take any chances in getting the "w". I think Babers thinks differently. He wants to develop his team the way he plays...and it's always at full speed. I think he opens it up and tries to score as much as possible to instill confidence in his system, and send notice. His system isn't a secret...sending a warning shot is more important than hiding a wrinkle.

Agreed.

I think the system is designed to attack - calling off the dogs goes against everything they are trying to instill.

I've said it before - I don't think there is a half-speed. It's on or off.

Agreed.

I think the system is designed to attack - calling off the dogs goes against everything they are trying to instill.

I've said it before - I don't think there is a half-speed. It's on or off.
I'm conservatively estimating that Dungey will have 5 passing TDs.

By halftime.

i dont think we can look forward to the season if its anything less than a 50-60 pt effort by the offense.. thats a ton of pressure on a new system. if we only score 25 against colgate cant imagine we can score 20 vs UL. if you also listen to him say it takes awhile to learn then playing anything less than a full effort wont be speeding up the learning curve.

i can also see some crazy field position 4th down tries that stick the D in a bind and perhaps make the game a bit closer than it actually plays on the field.

That's, uh, that's a really generous statement.
this system isnt so much about the plays as about the sequence and pace. the big wrinkle is the wider spread to help force the reads by the D.

that BG/tenn game was draws, some zone read, bubble screens, but with a healthier dose of over the top throws into the deep seems. even the coach says its not about the plays. but you better complete the passes or they will just be sitting down sooner.

this system isnt so much about the plays as about the sequence and pace. the big wrinkle is the wider spread to help force the reads by the D.

that BG/tenn game was draws, some zone read, bubble screens, but with a healthier dose of over the top throws into the deep seems. even the coach says its not about the plays. but you better complete the passes or they will just be sitting down sooner.

Earlier you said we ran the same stuff basically last year - but I don't remember a lot of zone read (we ran option, similar - but different), everyone runs draws but we ran a lot of sweeps and weird misdirection out of the backfield, I don't think we ran a single bubble screen. The passing concepts include a lot more routes than what was run last year too, I think.

I agree that Coach Babers will go full speed, regardless of the opponent.

If you're setting the line at 7.5, I'll take the under.
Too cute.

I said 7 or 8 wins, so you want the under 7?

Tough schedule no doubt. South Florida has talent all over, Va Tech might be improved on offense under its new coaching, and Pitt might be better than the team we lost to by 3 points. You can work through the schedule and find reasons we can lose.

Then consider, SU has an improved roster (especially at QB & RB & LB), and a much better coaching staff on the offensive side. We can't find two upsets?

Too cute.

I said 7 or 8 wins, so you want the under 7?

Tough schedule no doubt. South Florida has talent all over, Va Tech might be improved on offense under its new coaching, and Pitt might be better than the team we lost to by 3 points. You can work through the schedule and find reasons we can lose.

Then consider, SU has an improved roster (especially at QB & RB & LB), and a much better coaching staff on the offensive side. We can't find two upsets?
You said 7 or 8, so I split the difference.

i dont think we can look forward to the season if its anything less than a 50-60 pt effort by the offense.. thats a ton of pressure on a new system. if we only score 25 against colgate cant imagine we can score 20 vs UL. if you also listen to him say it takes awhile to learn then playing anything less than a full effort wont be speeding up the learning curve.

i can also see some crazy field position 4th down tries that stick the D in a bind and perhaps make the game a bit closer than it actually plays on the field.

So, if we can't post 50+ on the gate the season is lost? Thats kinda crazy. These are 18-22 yo kids, there will be jitters and drops and over throws in game 1 regardless of the opponent.

i think more along the lines that scoring 30 against colgate means more like a 30-14 type win and that leaves a ton of work to do to be competitive against P5 schools. if its more like a 45-14 type thing that points to at least going in a good direction. 45-28 would mean the offense might be trending but the D needs lots of work.. now if we score 50+ that makes it feel like the offense may be looking at 30 when it plays the better teams and that in itself is what we need to build momentum even if the D is no better than last year.

Su was mentioned on XM for the UL game being a tough one for UL since they FSU coming to town the next week and very well could be looking past us for that one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom