Talk about getting shafted - Michigan State | Syracusefan.com

Talk about getting shafted - Michigan State

29-4 ranked #2 in the country gets a 3 seed with Kansas and Duke.

And Syracuse as their 11 seed.

Seriosuly - Taking resumes out and judging the actual team - Kansas is the worst 1 seed, Duke is the best 2 seed.

They only beat 2 teams in the NCAA tournament field.
North Carolina and Purdue.

Michigan State didn’t beat Ohio State or Michigan.

They got what the metrics showed they deserved. The Big Ten only got 4 teams.
Nebraska was shown that 13 conference wins meant nothing and Penn State beating Ohio State 3 times meant nothing.

Posted a thread last night on this. They have a total of 2 wins of all those 29 vs teams who are in the tournament. Lucky for them those were great wins vs UNC and Purdue. Hence that 3 seed is pretty fair all things considered. Plus they lost their other two games vs tourney foes both to Michigan.

And Syracuse as their 11 seed.

Seriosuly - Taking resumes out and judging the actual team - Kansas is the worst 1 seed, Duke is the best 2 seed.
Kansas was 3, Xavier was 4, North Carolina 5, Duke 6.

Posted a thread last night on this. They have a total of 2 wins of all those 29 vs teams who are in the tournament. Lucky for them those were great wins vs UNC and Purdue. Hence that 3 seed is pretty fair all things considered. Plus they lost their other two games vs tourney foes both to Michigan.
Fun fact - MSU has 2 wins over the field, whereas SU is 6-8 (I may have missed one somewhere).

A bunch of folks on our board are shocked that they're not in our region given our history in the NCAAs. I thought the committee would make a special exemption and make them the #16 so we'd have to play them first.

If you look at Ken Pom, Michigan State is 6, despite the lack of wins over tournament teams. They're a few spots ahead of Kansas, fwiw.

Interesting that Xavier is #14, one spot ahead of them is WVU, who is a 5, and one spot behind them is Ohio State, also a 5.

If you look at Ken Pom, Michigan State is 6, despite the lack of wins over tournament teams. They're a few spots ahead of Kansas, fwiw.

Interesting that Xavier is #14, one spot ahead of them is WVU, who is a 5, and one spot behind them is Ohio State, also a 5.
If we get to Michigan State I don’t think it’s that bad a matchup as Duke is.
State has a post guy but the Big Ten doesn’t have a team that plays zone.
The conference is all man to man.

The zone could force some turnovers against them. Bridges is a Kwahi type college player.

I am okay with our draw except Duke as the 2.

You put any other 2 I am so there is a Chance guy. Even though if we lose on Wednesday I am fine.

They lost to Duke because Izzo can't ever beat K.

Then they went and scheduled Houston Baptist, Southern Utah, and Depaul in the non-conference.

The only having 2 wins over tournament teams I get that. But unfortunately is was by chance; they went out and played people. UConn, ND, UNC, Duke, Georgia, and of course the Big10.

The 4 losses were to Duke neutral, Michigan 2x (home/neutral) and Ohio State on the road. 8-1 road record. They beat 2 #2's in UNC and Purdue - who also has 6 losses.

At worse they are #2 seed and the shaft is being number #3 in the bracket they are in.

It's really hard to justify UNC as a #2 with 10 losses. Is that the most losses ever for a #2 seed ?

The seedings will improve by default if they ditch RPI completely and use Kenpom going forward.

The seedings will improve by default if they ditch RPI completely and use Kenpom going forward.

Don't think Point Differential should have any part of it. It's dumb. The BCS used point differential and how did that work out?Duke doesn't deserve a one seed either. They didn't win anything during the season.

Move it to ESPN's strength of record if people are complaining about RPI.

The only having 2 wins over tournament teams I get that. But unfortunately is was by chance; they went out and played people. UConn, ND, UNC, Duke, Georgia, and of course the Big10.

The 4 losses were to Duke neutral, Michigan 2x (home/neutral) and Ohio State on the road. 8-1 road record. They beat 2 #2's in UNC and Purdue - who also has 6 losses.

At worse they are #2 seed and the shaft is being number #3 in the bracket they are in.

It's really hard to justify UNC as a #2 with 10 losses. Is that the most losses ever for a #2 seed ?
Carolina gets the benefit of the doubt which is a joke. They lost to Wofford at home.
Carolina beat 14 quadrant 1 teams that is what the committee chair said.
Get this if Carolina beat Virginia they would have flipped with Xavier and been a 1 according to the chairman.

Carolina gets the benefit of the doubt which is a joke. They lost to Wofford at home.
Carolina beat 14 quadrant 1 teams that is what the committee chair said.
Get this if Carolina beat Virginia they would have flipped with Xavier and been a 1 according to the chairman.

They don't care about bad losses anymore if you make it up in other areas. That much is clear.

RPI is just a metric they look at like Ken Pom.
It’s not the most important one anymore.

If you look at Rhode Island and Michigan State their resumes are similar except State beat UNC and Purdue hence they are a 3 and Rhody a 7.

Don't think Point Differential should have any part of it. It's dumb. The BCS used point differential and how did that work out?Duke doesn't deserve a one seed either. They didn't win anything during the season.

Move it to ESPN's strength of record if people are complaining about RPI.

Point differential definitely has predictive value. I think it absolutely needs to be part of t he equation. I would never suggest solely seeding teams by KP, or any one single metric though.

They don't care about bad losses anymore if you make it up in other areas. That much is clear.

it's a fine line for sure. You want people to challenge themselves but man 10 losses is still 10 losses. And Wofford at home is a really bad loss.

I’m still jaded over MSU getting a home game in Auburn Hills in 2000.

They can’t get enough of the shaft after that frustrating loss.

(Settle down, Chip. Not what I meant)

I'm a big kenpom proponent but I feel like ignoring W/L and going strictly predictive is a bad idea; only de-values the reg. season even further.

In theory it should even out over time how though your bracket is; even though Duke always seems to gets the softest 8/9 or 7/10 in round 2, etc. by KP's ratings.

For once they managed to balance that sort of stuff pretty well. This tournament is definitely seeded much much better than other years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom