Targeting | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Targeting

Didn't Mikel Jones get tossed out of a game a couple of years ago for a helmet to hip hit?

I have to admit that I don’t understand this rule.

I thought the hit by the Ohio player was about as blatant as I have ever seen.

And then saw a borderline hit in tonight’s USC-LsU game called at a critical time.

As Vince Lombardi once said, “What the hell is going on out there?”
I thought the LSU targeting call was rather obvious.

Lol at the supposed Cuse fan knuckle head trying to say it wasn’t the crown of the helmet… umm there isn’t a red dot on the top of the head. The crown is the section above the facemask (ie top of the helmet). It’s clear as day this was leading with the top of the helmet
That’s my choice for dumbest Twitter post of the day. Trying to say that James wasn’t defenseless. He was being hit from BEHIND. How many people do you know are capable of defending themselves when they’re being hit from behind? LOL

JAYSUS. That hit was even worse than I remembered it.

If you’re looking for THE example of what “targeting” is (supposed to be) in the dictionary -

That was it.

Unconscionable that this wasn’t ruled as targeting, and the player ejected.
Yeah literally exactly what it is. killsme

It means whatever the ref wants it to mean. It's really not supposed to be a subjective call. The rulebook is pretty damn clear what the elements of targeting are. It's about as objective of a call as you can get. ESPECIALLY since it's the only penalty that is subject to review, so there are TWO shots at getting it right.

I'm convinced that ACC refs are reluctant to call targeting calls when we are the targets.
It wasn't ACC refs.

And it's not a conspiracy, there aren't enough good officials.

It wasn't ACC refs.

That's true overall. Unfortunately, the referee should be one of the most overall experienced and knowledgeable on the field. You don't come in as a referee. You start at another position and get promoted into becoming one if you are interested.

It wasn't ACC refs.

Yeah, I was already corrected on it. But thanks for piling on and the laughing emoji.

Someone else alluded to it here elsewhere

Line was what, -17.5? -16.5?

Game finished at -16

Did an official take the under?
Maybe the Ohio +17.5 but the total was 45.5 so this over got smashed regardless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom