Targeting | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Targeting

The game is no more dangerous now than it was decades ago; the equipment has probably made it safer. The awareness of the dangers of the sport is heightened though, which I would also consider a good thing.

I'm not saying keeping your son out of football is a good or bad decision, but I think it's a decision that should be revisited if your son develops a love for the sport. Football is a team sport like no others, imo, so it has benefits.
Football as a sport like no others. . .is an interesting concept.

I think it is interesting that, of the major sports invented in this country, our "football" is maybe the only one that has not been embraced internationally. Basketball is huge from Eastern Europe, to Australia to South America. Baseball is as big in Latin America and Asia as it is in this country. Volleyball is played at a high level practically everywhere in the world. But football? Maybe Canada, Samoa and Tonga?

Draw whatever conclusions you will (or not).

From another angle it looked like he led with the shoulder but still got him simultaneously with the helmet. But still, even though it was close guys should expect these plays to be called. There was no attempt to wrap and tackle the guy. He was simply trying to blow him up

With the way things are trending with concussions I doubt rules on targeting will recede
No attempt to wrap up - combined with the fact the player was especially defenseless since he was being held already by another defensive player.

No attempt to wrap up - combined with the fact the player was especially defenseless since he was being held already by another defensive player.
The problem is that players are being taught to "blow up" as opposed to "wrap up".

Football as a sport like no others. . .is an interesting concept.

I think it is interesting that, of the major sports invented in this country, our "football" is maybe the only one that has not been embraced internationally. Basketball is huge from Eastern Europe, to Australia to South America. Baseball is as big in Latin America and Asia as it is in this country. Volleyball is played at a high level practically everywhere in the world. But football? Maybe Canada, Samoa and Tonga?

Draw whatever conclusions you will (or not).

Football is expensive. Baseball is a cheap sport that is often the ticket for Latin American men to get out of Latin America. Basketball is a relatively cheap and easy sport to setup as well. Both baseball and basketball can be played relatively faithfully in non-organized (pick-up games) settings.

Football is expensive. It can't be replicated too well in non-organized games and has a lot of rules that don't share similarities with other sports. Basically, it's the hardest sport to pick up from scratch, imo. It also goes up against soccer, which is obviously huge, and rugby in certain countries.

The problem is that players are being taught to "blow up" as opposed to "wrap up".

I don't think this is right. From the very lowest Pop-Warner levels, proper tackling technique is being taught more often than not and that's how it's been for a long time now.

Targeting calls and non-calls have been all over the place this season.

The UCLA-Nebraska game the other night had a ridiculously bad targeting call too. Textbook wrap up tackles are considered targeting now.

Here's the play from that game.

Believe it or not, that is exactly what is taught by USA Football "Head's Up" tackling. And as you know "Head's Up" is an NFL initiative.

We have a serious issue on the targeting call if that was targeting.

yeah they are close, this wasn't as vicious, I'm not gonna argue, it wasn't a clean hit, it's not a football play, maybe not an ejection, but definitely a defenseless player penalty
If they want to call a 15 yard penalty, whatever fine, they change games in the NFL with pass interference all the time, but he was ejected...in his final collegiate game ever...on the first play. That's not right.

Believe it or not, that is exactly what is taught by USA Football "Head's Up" tackling. And as you know "Head's Up" is an NFL initiative.

After 4 minutes of deliberation the call was confirmed, player kicked out of the game. Referees need to be held more accountable for this crap. Even opposing HC Jim Mora thought it was a great clean hit and a bad call.

Here is the full length video with even better angles showing it was a terrible call.

Last edited:

I think the view from the ref's side looked like helmet-to-helmet, even though it wasn't. Seems like it should have been overturned on review, though.

After 4 minutes of deliberation the call was upheld, player kicked out of the game. Referees need to be held more accountable for this crap. Even opposing HC Jim Mora thought it was a great clean hit and a bad call.

Here is the full length video with even better angles showing it was a terrible call.

Funny, after the review result was announced and they showed the Nebraska coach, there was a ref behind him shaking his head no like he couldn't believe it either.

I still do not understand why the guy with the ball can straight arm a defensive player in the face. I know it wasn't this play but if hands to the face is illegal everywhere in the game but not that part of it is beyond me.
Bills got called for hands to the face against the Cowboys last weekend; believe it was Tyrod who was flagged for facemask. I believe Csonka was the first ever ball carrier to get flagged for unnecessary roughness.

Bills got called for hands to the face against the Cowboys last weekend; believe it was Tyrod who was flagged for facemask. I believe Csonka was the first ever ball carrier to get flagged for unnecessary roughness.
Facemask is different than hands to the face, I believe. I think stuff arms to the head are legal by the ball carrier, by rule.

Facemask is different than hands to the face, I believe. I think stuff arms to the head are legal by the ball carrier, by rule.

Correct. Hands to the Face means the actual face of a player. Typically happens when a lineman or defensive back's hands slide up from the chest when blocking/jamming.

I saw Csonka get flagged when he threw a forearm shiver into a would-be tackler. Just knocked the guy aside.

Wasn't too expensive when I was a kid. You went to the local playground, and, depending on the season, got out the baseball or the football. Or found the hoop at the corner. Point is, the idea of American football has not caught on around the world, in contrast to these other sports.

Football is expensive. Baseball is a cheap sport that is often the ticket for Latin American men to get out of Latin America. Basketball is a relatively cheap and easy sport to setup as well. Both baseball and basketball can be played relatively faithfully in non-organized (pick-up games) settings.

Football is expensive. It can't be replicated too well in non-organized games and has a lot of rules that don't share similarities with other sports. Basically, it's the hardest sport to pick up from scratch, imo. It also goes up against soccer, which is obviously huge, and rugby in certain countries.

I would argue that hockey is much more expensive and takes longer to pick up than football. Learning to skate full speed (front and backwards) can take longer to learn than football by itself.

Many more countries play hockey than football so I wouldn't say it's the violence that turns people off.

Football is more like baseball with short 3-7 seconds of action followed by lots of standing around. That and the complicated rules/penalties make it hard for a casual or new fan to follow without someone explaining what's going on.

Last edited:
Wasn't too expensive when I was a kid. You went to the local playground, and, depending on the season, got out the baseball or the football. Or found the hoop at the corner. Point is, the idea of American football has not caught on around the world, in contrast to these other sports.

Agreed. I was just addressing why it hasn't caught on. Like I said, backyard football doesn't really come close to the real deal, where pickup basketball and baseball are closer to real games. Soccer is also played in the same season as football and it's been around a lot longer.

I would argue that hockey is much more expensive and takes longer to pick up than football. Learning to skate full speed (front and backwards) can take longer to learn than football by itself.

Definitely. Hockey is the most expensive and hardest to learn 'mainstream' sport I can actually think of.

Macky44 said:
I think the defensive player being behind him made the play look 20 times worse than if it was just the lineback hitting him. The head snap had to be what made them throw out the flares on that play.

That's why there's supposed to be a smart actor in the replay booth to offset the gut reaction on the field.

The system let that player down bad.

The rule is in the right spirit but the they really need to change the "affirm targeting or no penalty" ridiculousness

That's where the adults screwed up here. Was that targeting? No, there was zero head contact with any body part, per the replay. If they want to call it "Unnecessary Roughness" then they should be able to.

The NCAA takes too many steps to get basic things done right, over many years

creeker46 said:
yeah they are close, this wasn't as vicious, I'm not gonna argue, it wasn't a clean hit, it's not a football play, maybe not an ejection, but definitely a defenseless player penalty

I think people are watching the wrong video. People saying the defensive player is standing there and the WR coming towards him. Huh? The WR is held up by another defender and the guy making the hit takes a good 2 steps at him and lowers his helmet.

The biggest problem right now is that the NFL and NCAA are making rules primarily to avoid legal action. They're going overboard with the penalties because they don't want more players with brains turned to hamburger to sue them.

I think people are watching the wrong video. People saying the defensive player is standing there and the WR coming towards him. Huh? The WR is held up by another defender and the guy making the hit takes a good 2 steps at him and lowers his helmet.

I'm not seeing that at all

edit: I'll give you the steps, but he did not lower his helmet. I don't think he even made contact with his helmet; Burgess moved his head to the side and hit the WR in the chest with, predominately, his shoulder.

Last edited by a moderator:

Did you actually watch the game or just the 4 second vine? He wasn't holding him up, he was tackling from behind. The guy tacking from behind actually was hurt more than the "defenseless receiver".

You are channeling my high school gym teacher. Had us playing lacrosse without helmets until one guy got his front teeth knocked out

Is this the same high school gym teacher that made you swim naked in class gym class?

Definitely. Hockey is the most expensive and hardest to learn 'mainstream' sport I can actually think of.
And yet, it has been more internationally adopted than football.