Taylor and Benny | Syracusefan.com

Taylor and Benny

Cuse_NYC

Starter
Just play defense and rebound. No need for many shots at all from them. They just cannot hit. Even Cuffe, if you’re wide open, fine, but otherwise, do the dirty work and let the others take the majority of the shots.

While Taylor and Benny have lacked production at times, having 'shooters' on the floor, taking shots, is essential for spacing purposes in an offense that mightily struggles with that already

They both stunk up the joint last night and nearly cost us the game.

They have to shoot. We already have one guy afraid to shoot right now at the 2.

Who told Justin to move his release over his head?

Ehhhh Benny has his moments. When Benny puts in the effort he is a very good rebounder and can be a good defender when he puts in the effort. He just needs to be more consistent.

Taylor seems like a great kid and I don’t want to say anything negative about him. But there’s just not much positive to say. He definitely puts in the effort, but his shot really hasn’t hit since he’s been on campus for us which is what he was brought to do. He’s a weak defender, slow, and limited athletically.

If I had to guess, I think Autry knows he’s not gonna win any ACC championships with Taylor and Bell starting at forward. Pretty confident one if not both will get the talk at the end of the year. Pretty certain Taylor will, Bell is to be determined how he finishes the season but he’s sooooo one dimensional.

Next year I’d like to see:

Starling
Westry
Cuffe
Copeland
Moore
Freeman
Brown
Benny
McLeod
Patterson

Possibly: Bell

Move on from: Carey and Taylor
Mintz to the NBA
Hima gets his degree and moves on

Bring in another shooter that isn’t one dimensional, that can take his guy off the dribble and play defense too from the portal

Bring in another big from the portal. Preferably center. McLeod is not it.

We can have a forward rotation of Brown, Freeman, Benny and Copland can play the 1 through the 3. Brown can play a little backup center but if we find a legit starting center, McLeod can play spot minutes can keep Brown, Freeman and Benny as your forward rotation.

Guard rotation will be strong with Westry, Starling, Moore, Copeland and Cuffe.

Ehhhh Benny has his moments. When Benny puts in the effort he is a very good rebounder and can be a good defender when he puts in the effort. He just needs to be more consistent.

Taylor seems like a great kid and I don’t want to say anything negative about him. But there’s just not much positive to say. He definitely puts in the effort, but his shot really hasn’t hit since he’s been on campus for us which is what he was brought to do. He’s a weak defender, slow, and limited athletically.

If I had to guess, I think Autry knows he’s not gonna win any ACC championships with Taylor and Bell starting at forward. Pretty confident one if not both will get the talk at the end of the year. Pretty certain Taylor will, Bell is to be determined how he finishes the season but he’s sooooo one dimensional.

Next year I’d like to see:

Starling
Westry
Cuffe
Copeland
Moore
Freeman
Brown
Benny
McLeod
Patterson

Possibly: Bell

Move on from: Carey and Taylor
Mintz to the NBA
Hima gets his degree and moves on

Bring in another shooter that isn’t one dimensional, that can take his guy off the dribble and play defense too from the portal

Bring in another big from the portal. Preferably center. McLeod is not it.

We can have a forward rotation of Brown, Freeman, Benny and Copland can play the 1 through the 3. Brown can play a little backup center but if we find a legit starting center, McLeod can play spot minutes can keep Brown, Freeman and Benny as your forward rotation.

Guard rotation will be strong with Westry, Starling, Moore, Copeland and Cuffe.
How many years are we going to argue Benny needs to be more consistent? With Freeman in the fold I don't see him back.

Just play defense and rebound. No need for many shots at all from them. They just cannot hit. Even Cuffe, if you’re wide open, fine, but otherwise, do the dirty work and let the others take the majority of the shots.
problem with that is vs the Duke's and the UVa's they can then shut everything down

once they see that 2 or 3 starters basically are no threat to score...it kills the chances for everyone else

the quad 1 losses are due to a lack of diversity on offense and those teams can stop penetration etc...they can take away the dribble and dont turn it over...

right now, it is important for all of the players to be capable...and active

i get what youre saying...but, in the long run, these guys need to be contributors

you cannot beat the top teams with only a few options going 1 on 1...it simply wont happen.

but yeah...it hurts to see them struggle so much...but just need to pray it comes around...

in an elimination game, then yeah...perhaps they might need to be limited somewhat etc...but for now need to try to get them rolling.

one of the major drawbacks anf limitations of the later JB years...was way too many one-dimensional players that were only given the red light on offense. I get why they were limited...but the best teams rarely have many "redlight" players.

Last edited:

Agreed, their shooting looked scary, but I would not put them both in the same boat:

Benny: You either get good Benny or bad. If his head is in the game, he's a net positive. That was not the case last night. He was either playing scared or literally was distracted.

Justin: While his shot was off (and form looked really funky), he was getting boards and wasn't making many mistakes. And I think that's the norm for him. If someone else gets hot, he should sit, but he usually plays smart and with 100% effort.

How many years are we going to argue Benny needs to be more consistent? With Freeman in the fold I don't see him back.
I see what you are saying. But Benny’s role right now is perfect for him.

You start Brown and Freeman. Benny comes off the bench and if he’s playing well, you ride him out. If not, like yesterday, you take him out and he only plays 10-15 minutes that game. There are games where Benny has had double/doubles, there are games where he’s had 1 point and 3 rebounds like yesterday. The games where he has near double-doubles are great and that’s great for a 3rd forward in a rotation. His role is perfect for him right now, no pressure of starting, etc…

Tbh my biggest concern with Benny is leadership and team chemistry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom