TBT Talent Level Comparison? | Syracusefan.com

TBT Talent Level Comparison?

OrlandoCuse

Living Legend
Where does the TBT fall in level of talent and competition? We know it’s not the NBA. Is it above the G League? Is it below the NBA Summer League?

I think it’s fair to say it’s above the majority of NCAA games. Is it above high-major college hoops? I think Boeheim’s Army would beat this years SU team.

See, to me, while I think the guys out there are truly giving it their all, it does feel like summer league due to the atmosphere.

Of course, the competition is above summer league though. I’d say it’s also above the G league too.

I personally think the TBT is below both the G League and Summer League. The G League consists of players that are cycling in and out of the NBA. The Summer League consists of many players who will be in NBA rotations, and some who will be starters. There are basically zero NBA caliber players in the TBT.

See, to me, while I think the guys out there are truly giving it their all, it does feel like summer league due to the atmosphere.

Of course, the competition is above summer league though. I’d say it’s also above the G league too.
Yeah, I was kind of leaning that way as well. Only thing I can’t reconcile is how the elite TBT teams compares to the best teams in D1. Would OE beat Duke?

I personally think the TBT is below both the G League and Summer League. The G League consists of players that are cycling in and out of the NBA. The Summer League consists of many players who will be in NBA rotations, and some who will be starters. There are basically zero NBA caliber players in the TBT.
Yeah, but there are a lot of TBT players that choose to play in foreign leagues because they make a lot more money than the G League or Summer League

Agreed until the last sentence. BJ and White both played in the NBA last year, so some of these guys are NBA caliber.

Agreed until the last sentence. BJ and White both played in the NBA last year, so some of these guys are NBA caliber.

In the history of the TBT, has anyone ever played a game in the NBA after having played in the TBT? (Honestly curious)

It's really hard to tell when they have virtually no cohesiveness as a result of not having practiced more than a week or two together, if that.
That's the key. Plus none of the coaches are currently D-1 or pro level. Thay matters for something

Where does the TBT fall in level of talent and competition? We know it’s not the NBA. Is it above the G League? Is it below the NBA Summer League?

I think it’s fair to say it’s above the majority of NCAA games. Is it above high-major college hoops? I think Boeheim’s Army would beat this years SU team.
not above g-league. not above legimately coached high-majors.

I dont know about the level vs other leagues, but I'll say the level of talent within the tournament is much improved vs when it started. Players are in much better shape.

I remember there being some in and out in 2015. I'm not sure who ultimately was available. Did Donte end up playing that year or did he never make it? I think our roster has been upgraded over the inaugural roster. Not sure about actual age, but I think it may also have gotten younger in some respects. Some veterans that are in good shape and then some younger guys that are well...younger.

Two rosters are side by side below. Year is the player's last year playing college ball. I didn't adjust for guys like CMAC or Donte whose last year was also their frosh year, making them even younger than they might appear. It will be interesting to see what happens if we get to next weekend and are able to add Triche and/or CMac both from the perspective of will they be upgrades and can they be worked into a cohesive rotation?

2015 Boeheim's Army Roster2019 Boeheim's Army Roster
Devo (2009)Devo (2009)
Hak (2005)Hak (2005)
Poetry in Moten (Player/Coach) (1995)Jordan Crawford (2010)
Big Rick Jackson (2011)D Watkins (2007)
Baye Keita (2014)Arinze (2010)
Mookie Jones (2007)Gbinije (2016)
Nichols (2007)AW III (2017)
T-Rob (2007)Gillon (2017)
Donte Greene (2008)BJ Johnson (2018)
Willie Deane (2003)Triche (2013)
Olu Famutimi (2005)Chris Mcullough (2015)

Last edited:
I think its great but there is something special about single elimination basketball as opposed to best of 7 (or league play.)

All the guys on BA could sign a 10 day contract with an NBA team and do well and have at some point had one or been in that position since leaving SU. Whenever our players get stuck in the G league they tend to be the best players on their teams.

NBA just doesn't have that many jobs to go around.

We could easily field 2 teams with a legit chance to win it all or both make it out of regionals.

Here is why I think it’s above the G-league.

Gillon and Gbinije both averaged nearly 30 mpg in the G league recently and neither one of them have been very effective in this tourney.

White and Johnson have averaged 15ppg there and they aren’t even our most effective player so far.

Triche is out, but he’d be a great G leaguer except he gets paid more in Europe.

Warrick is a veteran NBA guy.

Drop this team in the G league and they make the G league playoffs with some practice and good coaching.

Whatever level it is, slap a Syracuse connection and an orange jersey on it in the summer and I'm watching.

Agreed. I would watch a pickup game of former SU walk-ons before a G League game.

“Throw it downnnnn Ross DiLegiero!”

I'd be curious to know if any, or how many, of these teams spend any significant amount of time practicing together (e.g. twice a week for several months or something)?

We take a bit of an All - Star game approach to developing the roster. Bring in the best pieces we can get, but with guys having other commitments they don't have much time to gel together and develop complimentary roles. Adding BTriche and CMac is additive from a talent perspective, but how does dropping them in next weekend (if we are so lucky to get there) impact the rotation and any chemistry developed getting to that point?

Here is why I think it’s above the G-league.

Gillon and Gbinije both averaged nearly 30 mpg in the G league recently and neither one of them have been very effective in this tourney.

White and Johnson have averaged 15ppg there and they aren’t even our most effective player so far.

Triche is out, but he’d be a great G leaguer except he gets paid more in Europe.

Warrick is a veteran NBA guy.

Drop this team in the G league and they make the G league playoffs with some practice and good coaching.
I think some of these guys are exhausted from playing a full season of basketball. Ordinarily they would be resting up this time of year.

And some of them rely more on coaching. Practicing for a few days might not be enough time to prepare, so they don’t know what to do when they get out there. A guy like Devo excels because he can improvise and also because he thinks like a coach.

One last thing. D3 keyed on White. They did not want him getting hot. Gael Nation didn’t have a lockdown defender to take him out of the game. D3’s defense on our PGs was solid as well.

I'd be curious to know if any, or how many, of these teams spend any significant amount of time practicing together (e.g. twice a week for several months or something)?

We take a bit of an All - Star game approach to developing the roster. Bring in the best pieces we can get, but with guys having other commitments they don't have much time to gel together and develop complimentary roles. Adding BTriche and CMac is additive from a talent perspective, but how does dropping them in next weekend (if we are so lucky to get there) impact the rotation and any chemistry developed getting to that point?
As far as Triche goes, it doesn’t matter as much if you offend Crawford. He still gets paid and he probably won’t be back next year anyway.

McCullough would require more of a juggling act. AO and G stand to lose the most playing time.

As far as Triche goes, it doesn’t matter as much if you offend Crawford. He still gets paid and he probably won’t be back next year anyway.

McCullough would require more of a juggling act. AO and G stand to lose the most playing time.

For a kid who I have great memories from I am a little surprised G has been this tentative. Reminds me of Fair struggling a bit a few years ago. I think some guys are better in a structured environment where a player like Devo clearly owns a pickup game.