TC and and the fast break | Syracusefan.com

TC and and the fast break

STEVEHOLT

There are FIVE letters in the name BLAIN.
I realize that JB encourages him to take the ball to the hole and TC in fact has become very adept at driving to the rim. Note I said DRIVING. His ability to finish is pathetic. I dont think he hits 33 percent on his drives, and that includes dunks.

The best play for him on a 3-1 or 2-1 break is to stop at the top and shoot a three.

he made a couple of questionable decisions tonight, but generally speaking him being aggressive is good because he is a good foul shooter

I cringe every time he leads the break. That ball's got to get out of his hands.

I'll just say this: it got to the point after the second or third bad break that Derrick Coleman tweeted, "Give it up Trevor"...

He gets an inordinate amount of balls deflected for a 6"3 guard. Not deflected by forwards, mind you, deflected by guards defending him. Does he have short arms or something like that offensive lineman from SU?

He is pretty good at driving showing surprising speed to get to the hoop but he's not able to slow enough as he reaches the basket to jump with any power, accuracy to finish his shot so he rushes or hesitates and gets it blocked. He has the hops as we've seen when he dunks on breakaways but in those situations he has the room and time to jump and control his speed. Sometimes he should just slow up when he gets to the foul line and attempt to hit a trailer or the occasional open 12 foot shot.

Hope he develops a passing game and some smooth good ball fakes to escape his defender for the room to shoot or to allow him to hit an open man as the defense reacts to it. Looking for him to become a better passer and rebounder. I'm not getting on Trevor, he's not the main problem I just know he'll need to diversify and be one of the main answers for the team to succeed.

He needs to be on the wing or be a trailer on the break.

He just doesn't have the vision or the explosiveness to be the guy trucking down the middle on the break.

With that said, the way guys fill the lanes on the break doesn't make it easy on TC to make a decision either.

Lot of room for improvement for all parties involved.

He needs to be on the wing or be a trailer on the break.

He just doesn't have the vision or the explosiveness to be the guy trucking down the middle on the break.

With that said, the way guys fill the lanes on the break doesn't make it easy on TC to make a decision either.

Lot of room for improvement for all parties involved.

This. I cringe watching our fast breaks these days.

just pass on the pass.

pointatopointb.jpg

Can someone please convince Cooney he needs to come to a jump stop and go up strong.

Unfortunately, we don't really have any other options, so Trevor is going to have to stay aggressive. Plus, I think it helps him in other areas of his offensive game. He could get better at finishing as well. remember MCW the first half of his Soph season? 6-6 guard that couldnt finish over anybody. By the end of the year he was exponentially better.

His issue is he attacks strongly, but his body control in the air is not that great. He ends up flinging the ball at the rim with one hand instead of powering up smoothly with two. It's almost like a prayer. I mentioned this in the game thread last night and then a minute later, we blew a 4 on 2 break.

Cooney just isn't a "smooth" player. Everything seems very rigid. Ennis was the opposite, and every player is different. I still love the aggression he shows, but when you don't go up strong, you limit your chances of putting up a high% shot, as well as getting the call from the ref.

It's not just the fast break. It's any time he drives. He always gets too deep and gets blocked or has to throw up a wild layup. The only time something good comes is when he gets a bailout foul called. He is in dire need of a floater in the lane. Or just pull up and shoot a 10 footer. This needs to be drilled into his head by the coaches

I like him with the ball driving in the half court.

On the break... he's not good.

When he decides to take that pull up jumper from the elbow and hit it with regularity, he will be a pretty well rounded scorer. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why he uses the dribble to create space, is wide open for that elbow pull up, but instead he stops, picks up his dribble and looks for a bail out. I am screaming to shoot the damn ball when I see him do that! That is the best option this offense will see many times down the court.

Spacing seems to be a big issue with this team on the break. That is easily correctable with drills and reps in practice. Hopefully, we work on it and improve as the year goes by. It's very important because we need some "easy" points, considering our half court struggles.

Its like Cooney is in a race to get to the rim as fast as possible and the shot is of secondary concern. This is also in the half court when he drives. I agree with those saying he doesn't go strong or get good lift. I think he just needs to slow down a tad bit at the rim, be under control, gather and try and dunk or draw actual contact.

Its like Cooney is in a race to get to the rim as fast as possible and the shot is of secondary concern. This is also in the half court when he drives. I agree with those saying he doesn't go strong or get good lift. I think he just needs to slow down a tad bit at the rim, be under control, gather and try and dunk or draw actual contact.

He also launches himself straight at the rim, with absolutely not recognition as to where the defender is. He doesn't try to initiate (or avoid) contact; he just goes right at the rim. And he rarely if ever passes, and when he does, it's not a good pass or it's to the wrong guy. It's maddening to watch.

He also launches himself straight at the rim, with absolutely not recognition as to where the defender is. He doesn't try to initiate (or avoid) contact; he just goes right at the rim. And he rarely if ever passes, and when he does, it's not a good pass or it's to the wrong guy. It's maddening to watch.

Agreed there is so much that he is not doing correctly that its tough to watch.

He is pretty good at driving showing surprising speed to get to the hoop but he's not able to slow enough as he reaches the basket to jump with any power, accuracy to finish his shot so he rushes or hesitates and gets it blocked. He has the hops as we've seen when he dunks on breakaways but in those situations he has the room and time to jump and control his speed. Sometimes he should just slow up when he gets to the foul line and attempt to hit a trailer or the occasional open 12 foot shot.

Hope he develops a passing game and some smooth good ball fakes to escape his defender for the room to shoot or to allow him to hit an open man as the defense reacts to it. Looking for him to become a better passer and rebounder. I'm not getting on Trevor, he's not the main problem I just know he'll need to diversify and be one of the main answers for the team to succeed.

for me trevor seems more worried about using his body to shield the defender when he goes up then just taking it strong. trevor has hops and is strong. he should use those abilities and focus on finishing through the contact instead of trying to avoid it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom