Class of 2016 - TE Ray Marten (NY) verbal to BC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 TE Ray Marten (NY) verbal to BC

Wait. So we're happy one of the top recruits in NYS committed to BC just because it may or may not have increased our odds with another TE who most likely isn't going to chose here? smh

Wait. So we're happy one of the top recruits in NYS committed to BC just because it may or may not have increased our odds with another TE who most likely isn't going to chose here? smh
No, for me it's more that I don't think Marten was ever realistic, and I absolutely never expected him to choose SU. So if he's not going to choose SU, I wanted him to pick a school on the list of our current priority TE prospect. If we're not going to get Marten, at least now he's potentially helping to chop a school off the list of another guy at the same position we have a chance for.

Don't know if we had a chance with this kid or not, but I am starting to think that we are getting hammered (negative recruiting) out there based on NCAA report and no AD and how that impacts Shafer.

Don't know if we had a chance with this kid or not, but I am starting to think that we are getting hammered (negative recruiting) out there based on NCAA report and no AD and how that impacts Shafer.
Also 3-9 and a historically bad end of the season on offense.

Getting our clocks cleaned by BC and Rutgers...I am thinking the rapture should becoming soon.

anomander said:

And Marten is the better player.

rrlbees said:
And Marten is the better player.

Well sure. But what he's saying is that if we're out with Marten and have no realistic shot - it sure is nice that the kid we do have a shot with plays the same position.

"Happy" is the wrong word. Silver lining, maybe?

Well sure. But what he's saying is that if we're out with Marten and have no realistic shot - it sure is nice that the kid we do have a shot with plays the same position.

"Happy" is the wrong word. Silver lining, maybe?
Yeah, I'd probably go with silver lining. Again, my point is that if we weren't going to get Marten, at least his choice to go to BC should conceivably help us with the current top TE on our board since they now have two TEs committed (along with two signed in last year's class) and they had been thought to be the favorite.

is he?
I'm wondering the same. I'm not doubting that he could be - but I'm just wondering how many people have seen him play, since he doesn't seem to have any highlights available (his HUDL profile is private).

CIL said:
is he?

According to someone I trust. But we aren't talking a huge difference just a preference.

I saw 1 whole game of Ray Marten. Seems like a tough kid who seems to be a good blocker other than that I wasnt all that impressed. He looks more like 6'3 220 to me. He has team mate that is another TE/DE that look just as good. He's a 2017 kid.

Last edited: