Team Chemistry | Syracusefan.com

Team Chemistry

shandeezy7

Living Legend
Not in a personality way, but in an on-the-court way, has there been an SU team in recent years with worse chemistry than this one? Every game it looks like these guys just assembled a team at the local playground instead of being a college team that has practiced and played together for countless hours.

How many times last night did we turn the ball over on a pass to no one because guys weren't on the same page? Throw on top of that the horrific offensive sets where no one does anything (lazy screens, lackadaisical cuts, etc.) and the long stretches every game where guys seem disinterested, and you have a recipe for the disaster that is currently unfolding.

Not in a personality way, but in an on-the-court way, has there been an SU team in recent years with worse chemistry than this one? Every game it looks like these guys just assembled a team at the local playground instead of being a college team that has practiced and played together for countless hours.

How many times last night did we turn the ball over on a pass to no one because guys weren't on the same page? Throw on top of that the horrific offensive sets where no one does anything (lazy screens, lackadaisical cuts, etc.) and the long stretches every game where guys seem disinterested, and you have a recipe for the disaster that is currently unfolding.

I said this after the UConn loss and got lambasted by the board. The chemistry this team has shown this year is bottom five since I've been a Cuse fan. Perhaps bottom two. It's beyond bad. I would go so far as to say personality wise-too. I'm sure FH can't be happy that Carey's nipping at his heels for the starting gig. Howard looks disinterested out there, but to be fair, most of his teammates do as well.

This team's body language is not good.

Haven’t you heard? Buffalo shot worse than us. The loss was because of FTs and rebounding.

Two years ago was worse...and the chemistry improved over the course of the season.

I've said the same thing. At his point I feel like I'm watching a collection of play ground players who are all wearing their favorite NBA jersey's pretending to be those guys. Brissett thinks he's Kevin Durant, Battle thinks he's Jordan, Hughes thinks he's Melo, and Howard I don't have any idea. They all try to do WAY more than they are capable of.

I've said the same thing. At his point I feel like I'm watching a collection of play ground players who are all wearing their favorite NBA jersey's pretending to be those guys. Brissett thinks he's Kevin Durant, Battle thinks he's Jordan, Hughes thinks he's Melo, and Howard I don't have any idea. They all try to do WAY more than they are capable of.

Check Brissett's instagram. He wants to be Paul George. He's obsessed with Paul George. It's actually quite nauseating because the only thing they currently have in common is that they both play the same sport.

This team has 2002 level quitting potential

I was going to post this last night. JB needs to be careful he doesn’t lose this team. It’s important that they get on another winning streak here or that danger is possible.

Two years ago was worse...and the chemistry improved over the course of the season.
Let’s just say 2 years ago 2 of our best players really didn’t get along.
Both were gone after the year.

This year’s team has no chemistry good or bad.
They look like they just show up for games and play.
It’s intramural 1 on 1 play on the court.

Check Brissett's instagram. He wants to be Paul George. He's obsessed with Paul George. It's actually quite nauseating because the only thing they currently have in common is that they both play the same sport.

he should be obsessed with learning how to finish bunnies and dunks. Worst finisher in recent memory.

The frustrating part is, during our impressive post-season run, this team really seemed to have coalesced and were playing well together -- they demonstrated quite a bit of complimentary on-court chemistry. The team "peaked" at the right time in no small part because of it.

Noticeably absent this year.

The “glue guy”, Marek, hardly plays and JB affirmed in the presser last night that he’s not gonna get substantial minutes on this team. The real semblance of unity on the team last year occurred when he started getting serious PT last year and became more assertive.

I don't think so.

I think individually none of the players are in great places but its December they can all play through it.

We better scrap that stupid Cornell drivel fest next year I'd demand to keep them off the schedule if I am Buddy and fighting for minutes as a fringe player.

The only game these kids could really get excited for playing a peer opponent was OSU and we won.

ACC play can't come soon enough. All these guys have flaws they can improve on between now and March and I'd expect them to do so we should have won last night and thats with noone playing particularly well individually. Marek makes that front end and ties the game and I think we escape with a W.

I would just say all questions/concerns are on the table right now, and chemistry is certainly one of them.

The “glue guy”, Marek, hardly plays and JB affirmed in the presser last night that he’s not gonna get substantial minutes on this team. The real semblance of unity on the team last year occurred when he started getting serious PT last year and became more assertive.
Agree, but the problem this year is that he doesn't seem to get serious when he is on the floor.

In the first game, when he drove to the basket, I thought, Wow. This is going to be a real plus for us. Unfortunately that was a one off.

Agree, but the problem this year is that he doesn't seem to get serious when he is on the floor.

In the first game, when he drove to the basket, I thought, Wow. This is going to be a real plus for us. Unfortunately that was a one off.
So hesitant

It is amusing at times - as they do sort of resemble a pick-up team where they all sort of have a concept of how an offense can play, but not really quite a solid idea on what offense is being run. Lots of passes to nobody!

It is amusing at times - as they do sort of resemble a pick-up team where they all sort of have a concept of how an offense can play, but not really quite a solid idea on what offense is being run. Lots of passes to nobody!

And lots of Frank dribbling at the top of the key for 15 seconds, pointing at guys to do stuff, which usually ends in a turnover or a terrible shot that sometimes goes in but most of the time does not.

You know all those times the driver kicked it out for an open three or made a nifty interior pass for the dunk? Me neither.

When a team loses a close game, or even when they lose bigger at MSG, it is easy to pseudo-diagnose -- lack of energy, lack of chemistry. If they win a game they nearly lost (Georgetown), or win one on the road (OSU) we must have had better chemistry and found energy?

This team night after night has poor play from its centers, is struggling at the point guard position (though Frank looked OK last night), and does not shoot all that well. Some of our guys are not particularly good at creating for teammates. The team does not get its share of inside finishes. Maybe that is chemistry?

The frustrating part is, during our impressive post-season run, this team really seemed to have coalesced and were playing well together -- they demonstrated quite a bit of complimentary on-court chemistry. The team "peaked" at the right time in no small part because of it.

Noticeably absent this year.
One of the things I really enjoyed about last year’s team was how hard they competed, night-in and night-out. It may not have been the prettiest basketball but the effort was always there.

I thought the team played really hard last night for 30 minutes. The last ten minutes they just seemed to wilt.

They may have lost last year but they never wilted. They would have competed until the bitter end.

I agree with you 1000%. No idea why.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom