Team is starting to meet expectations | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Team is starting to meet expectations

Lol we play #3 UVA on the road, keep it to the wire and here comes the “we are who we thought we were” threads.

Then put your money where your mouth is and give us some prediction on our next few wins (just the next 4 games would be nice).

Then put your money where your mouth is and give us some prediction on our next few wins (just the next 4 games would be nice).
Fsu
Pitt
Bc
Georgia Tech.

Doesn't help FSU threw away a big lead last night. Gonna be amped to get a win over Cuse this weekend.

Lol we play #3 UVA on the road, keep it to the wire and here comes the “we are who we thought we were” threads.

With all due respect, here are some facts. UVA was ranked 3rd at gametime, but unranked at the start of the season. The game was at UVA. With just about a minute and half or so left in the game, UVA had a 14 point lead. In regards to the later, if that's keeping it to the wire, and you realistically thought that the game was in doubt, ask yourself this question. If we had a 14 point lead under the same pretense, and lead relatively comfortably throughout the second half, etc., would you still think this was a down to the wire game?

With all due respect, here are some facts. UVA was ranked 3rd at gametime, but unranked at the start of the season. The game was at UVA. With just about a minute and half or so left in the game, UVA had a 14 point lead. In regards to the later, if that's keeping it to the wire, and you realistically thought that the game was in doubt, ask yourself this question. If we had a 14 point lead under the same pretense, and lead relatively comfortably throughout the second half, etc., would you still think this was a down to the wire game?

They blew the double digit lead and allowed us within reasonable striking distance to tie. You didnt provide me facts, you provided me your opinion that the game was out of reach with a minute and a half to go.

And to answer your question, I’m never comfortable with an SU lead against a conference opponent until the clock strikes 0. The whole cardiac cuse thing is uncomfortably realistic. You think Bennett was comfy watching the lead dwindle with under a minute left.

They blew the double digit lead and allowed us within reasonable striking distance to tie. You didnt provide me facts, you provided me your opinion that the game was out of reach with a minute and a half to go.

And to answer your question, I’m never comfortable with an SU lead against a conference opponent until the clock strikes 0. You think Bennett was comfy watching the lead dwindle with under a minute left.

Please provide me in my post where I actually stated/wrote that the game was out of reach? You're spinning that in an attempt to bolster your own thinking and view that the aforementioned double digit lead (14 points with about a minute and half left) was a "down to the wire" game on the road. You can insert whatever you wish additionally now to claim otherwise, i.e. "within reasonable striking distance to tie," etc. But the fact remains that the lowest the margin got down to in last 25 seconds or so was 5 points AND Virginia possession.

I'll give you my opinion at this time. At no time whatsoever in my view was the end result ever in doubt down the stretch of this game. If the game had actually got to a one possession game, with us having an actual chance to tie (having possession down 3, etc.) than, yes, I would opine that it was a "down to the wire" game. See Notre Dame game if that makes it clearer for you. ;)

Please provide me in my post where I actually stated/wrote that the game was out of reach? You're spinning that in an attempt to bolster your own thinking and view that the aforementioned double digit lead (14 points with about a minute and half left) was a "down to the wire" game on the road. You can insert whatever you wish additionally now to claim otherwise, i.e. "within reasonable striking distance to tie," etc. But the fact remains that the lowest the margin got down to in last 25 seconds or so was 5 points AND Virginia possession.

I'll give you my opinion at this time. At no time whatsoever in my view was the end result ever in doubt down the stretch of this game. If the game had actually got to a one possession game, with us having an actual chance to tie (having possession down 3, etc.) than, yes, I would opine that it was a "down to the wire" game. See Notre Dame game if that makes it clearer for you. ;)
so you thought @ uva was a game SU should win?

We kept the game close despite them having easier buckets access from 3 point land than Jim’s finger has to his nose. Guy was nearly unguardable and always in the right place at the right time. Despite briefly being down double digits, i’ll concede as an opinion, I believe its more encouraging than discouraging that we kept this game close to the closing seconds whether or not you consider close as two possessions or not.

so you thought @ uva was a game SU should win?

In my opinion, after coming off that ND debacle from Saturday, no, I did not think we would beat UVA at Virginia. However, since these games actually are played, and watching the first half and early second half, I did think that it was possible to pull off the road upset. I think if we had done a better job of focusing/zeroing in on their guys that could hurt us (Guy & Jerome) and we could execute just enough on offense, the end result may have been different. However, at no time late in the game (again, after UVA built that 14 point lead with a minute and half or so left) did I believe that we could win, or calling this a "down to the wire" game.

We kept the game close despite them having easier buckets access from 3 point land than Jim’s finger has to his nose. Guy was nearly unguardable and always in the right place at the right time. Despite briefly being down double digits, i’ll concede as an opinion, I believe its more encouraging than discouraging that we kept this game close to the closing seconds whether or not you consider close as two possessions or not.

You again are altering what you originally said. The argument isn't about what you are inserting now, "encouragement" or "keeping the game close in the closing seconds." Saying the game is close or it got close in the waning moments of game is different than "down to the wire." Again, the end result was never in doubt as UVA was never up by less than 5 with possession under 25 seconds left in the game...only the final tally.

In my opinion, after coming off that ND debacle from Saturday, no, I did not think we would beat UVA at Virginia. However, since these games actually are played, and watching the first half and early second half, I did think that it was possible to pull off the road upset. I think if we had done a better job of focusing/zeroing in on their guys that could hurt us (Guy & Jerome) and we could execute just enough on offense, the end result may have been different. However, at no time late in the game (again, after UVA built that 14 point lead with a minute and half or so left) did I believe that we could win, or calling this a "down to the wire" game.
fair enough - I just think it was always (from time schedule came out) as simple as we have a bad offense, they have an elite defense plus a considerable homecourt advantage = extremely high likelihood of SU losing handily

I try to stay away from comments like this but, this full week of practice will determine the rest of the season. There's really no reason the team shouldn't come out and absolutely light up BC. If they do that and we see an evolution of the ball movement we finally got a glimpse of against Pitt, then we have something. If the team comes out flat and reverts back to 90% isolation ball in a slowdown, halfcourt offense, we might as well pack it in because we're done.

I try to stay away from comments like this but, this full week of practice will determine the rest of the season. There's really no reason the team shouldn't come out and absolutely light up BC. If they do that and we see an evolution of the ball movement we finally got a glimpse of against Pitt, then we have something. If the team comes out flat and reverts back to 90% isolation ball in a slowdown, halfcourt offense, we might as well pack it in because we're done.

I agree with everything, particularly the offense, except the part about "lighting up BC." This isn't the bad BC team of seasons past. They've already beaten Duke and FSU and only lost by 1 at Virginia. Is it a game I'd like to think we should win at home? Yes. But it doesn't appear to be the poor BC team of past recent seasons- and even those teams have managed to beat us a couple times anyway.

I agree with everything, particularly the offense, except the part about "lighting up BC." This isn't the bad BC team of seasons past. They've already beaten Duke and FSU and only lost by 1 at Virginia. Is it a game I'd like to think we should win at home? Yes. But it doesn't appear to be the poor BC team of past recent seasons- and even those teams have managed to beat us a couple times anyway.

You're absolutely right, they're not as bad as the BC teams we're used to. They're a bit enigmatic, but much improved. I'm just putting a lot of value in our 6-7 days to recuperate and prepare vs. BC's 2-3.

If they can keep Bowman in check, I think they'll be OK. He brings a lot of energy to the game and seems to love to play Syracuse.

They better! Or we may all see JB taking off more than just his sports jacket. ;):oops: Not to mention, they would've had a full week to prepare for BC.

If they can keep Bowman in check, I think they'll be OK. He brings a lot of energy to the game and seems to love to play Syracuse.
The key is stopping their 3-point shooters. Same # of games played as us, have shot 100 more 3-pointers. Looks like they play 6 player for the most part. Both teams are 13-6 but BC has those 2 victories against Duke and FSU. This is definitely not the BC team of the last 2 years.