team you least want to see in SU's bracket... | Syracusefan.com

team you least want to see in SU's bracket...

bpo57

Living Legend
I only need about half a second to answer this one. I have no interest in seeing Sparty in SU's bracket. Hope they finish with a flourish and grab a #1 seed. Rebounding just might be an issue in that game.

Michigan State
Florida State
Wichita State
New Mexico

Marquette, Georgetown,Florida and Murray State. Something about that Murray State team.

Michigan State
Florida State
Wichita State
New Mexico

Besides our conference foes that always play us tough, I think that's a good place to start.

Any team that dives for loose balls and plays as though they will have to report directly to Kim Jong Il if they dont win. We are a finesse team and struggle against teams that know they cant rely on talent alone.

Michigan State
Florida State
Wichita State
New Mexico
New Mexico may be the most underrated team in the country.
Marquette is going to be ready and knows our defense.
Tom Izzo always has MSU ready come tourney time.
This year we could have particular trouble with Big-10 teams that are patient and have steady inside play.
Wisconsin has that and an excellent senior point guard who doesn't turn it over in Jordan Taylor. They could be a handful.

Pitt or UCONN because that would mean we did not make the NCAA tourney or the NIT and had to play them in that other thing, if it still exists. :rolling:

Mizzou, Florida, Duke, Creighton

2/3 Seed - Michigan State (offensive rebounding and tournament history of Izzo's teams)

4/5 Seed - Florida St (remember this team had success last year - just seem like they would grind the game to a halt, and at times they hit garbage threes)

8/9 Seed - Rather a BCS team in this matchup rather then a NON-BCS team. Non-BCS teams seem to be more likely to pull upsets in the 2-7/10 or 1-8/9 in recent years. It seems that recently it is more likely that the Non-BCS team is underseeded. Rare that BCS schools are underseed.

16 seed - I hope nobody is worried about this matchup. Being in Pitt, it seems almost guaranteed that we will play one of the play in 16 seeds.

The Syracuse team that played Notre Dame this year...

In all seriousness, I think Missouri might give us fits and I could see Michigan State absolutely destroying us on the boards. Chances are, we won't have to face either team until the elite 8 at the earliest.

Mizzou first and foremost. Their guard play is very good and probably the best in the country and I would think it would give us fits in our zone, like when Nova had Ray, Foye, Lowry and Nardi all starting at guards. I

Besides that I would say:
-MSU and Izzo: are always a tough team to play when it comes tourny time, no question with Green they would out rebound us.
-Marquette: They have a very good team and we are lucky to have escaped with a win and probably would have lost if not for our early jumpstart.
-FSU: Defense has been a strong point for Florida State since becoming relevant again, not sure if they would be able to score on us but know points would be hard to come by and the score would probably be in the mid to high 50's to low 60's.
-Kansas: now if this question was raised a month ago I would not had even thought about Kansas but they are hot and Thomas Robinson would have a field day against us rebounding. Georgetown killed us on the boards and we barely won, playing Kansas would be similar rebounding wise and hard to imagine winning. This also depends on if they get the number one seed along with the fact that the other #2 seeds at this point make it harder for me to see us in the same bracket.
-Indiana: they have cooled down since their unbelievable run at knocking off the #1s, along with the fact they are terrible when they are away; however, beating OSU and UK is a good enough reason for me to not want to play them.
-Wichita State: havent seen them play, however from the looks of it as a pure they have a pretty balanced team and play good defense, just based off what I see on their schedule. Also, team is filled with Seniors which only adds to why I would not want to play with them.

and finally Duke (just like Kansas, depends on the seeding) and I can think of 923 (and counting) reasons why I would not want to play them. Coach K has his teams ready come tourny time and no reason to suggest otherwise. The man has 4 National Championships, no argument there. Regardless of what I think of the team, until Coach K retires I never want to face him in the tournament.

Besides that I don't see any other team getting in our way to our second NCAA NC. With that being said long way to go and cant wait for the tourny...both tournies actually!

Vandy as an 8-9 seed
Creighton as an 8-9
Wichita St as a 4-5
Wisconsin as a 4
Butler as a 12-13
Wagner/Weber as a 16

Big East teams, as have been hashed out above. Also, Michigan State/Indiana/Wisconsin/Michigan type of half court, slow down, Big-10, gouge your eyes out style teams. Not sure I feel comfortable watching the SU half-court for 40 minutes.

For the most part, if this team plays at their own pace, SU fans will feel confident. If not...it could be a heart attack regardless of opponent.

I think we'd beat Mizzou going away. And I actually think we'd out rebound them, just a hunch.

No need to worry about matchups against the Big East teams this year in our region. Although you see some valid projections right now with 9 for the Big East, I think it will settle down to likely 8 or maybe even 7.

If there are only 8 teams from the Big East, the rule that Big East opponents cannot meet until the elite eight will be in force. As Louisville will likely be a 4/5 it will be impossible for them to meet us in the round of 8. Due to the top three teams needing to be in different regions we can't meet Georgetown or Marquette until the final four either.

So, based on the responses in this thread:

MSU
FSU
Wichita St.
New Mexico
Marquette
Georgetown
Florida
Murray St.
Wisconsin
LBSU
Mizzou
Duke
Creighton
Ohio St.
Any Big East team
Kansas
Indiana
Kentucky
Vanderbilt
Butler
Wagner/Weber St.
Navy
Vermont
Richmond
Michigan

This leads me to a couple conclusions:

1) our 27-1 record is worthless and we are in big trouble come tourney time no matter who we play
2) some people haven't been paying attention to other teams, as there are a few on this list that won't even be in the tourney
3) Every game we are going to have a "I don't have a good feeling about this game and I'm never wrong" thread

Boy, I can't wait for the tourney :rolleyes:

So, based on the responses in this thread:

MSU
FSU
Wichita St.
New Mexico
Marquette
Georgetown
Florida
Murray St.
Wisconsin
LBSU
Mizzou
Duke
Creighton
Ohio St.
Any Big East team
Kansas
Indiana
Kentucky
Vanderbilt
Butler
Wagner/Weber St.
Navy
Vermont
Richmond
Michigan

This leads me to a couple conclusions:

1) our 27-1 record is worthless and we are in big trouble come tourney time no matter who we play
2) some people haven't been paying attention to other teams, as there are a few on this list that won't even be in the tourney
3) Every game we are going to have a "I don't have a good feeling about this game and I'm never wrong" thread

Boy, I can't wait for the tourney :rolleyes:
somebody said Butler? lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom