Team's far and away biggest problem | Syracusefan.com

Team's far and away biggest problem

orangepassion

Nunzio Prophet
And has been to some extent for several years is second chance points. It seems the only times other teams are 1 shot and done is when they miss long. I rarely see guys blocked out.

Is there someone that has the stats of how often a team gets the Defensive rebound on the 1st opportunity? I would bet that we get it less than we don't.

Last edited:
And has been to some extent for several years is second chance points. It seems the only times other teams are 1 shot and done is when they miss long. I rarely see guys blocked out.

Is there somewhere that has the stats of how often a team gets the Defensive rebound on the 1st opportunity? I would bet that we get it less than we don't.

we rebound 29.6% of our misses, the average is 28.2% so we’re 123rd in the nation which isn’t bad.

however we give up on offensive rebound on 33.2% of our opponents misses which is 326th in the country aka pretty terrible

we rebound 29.6% of our misses, the average is 28.2% so we’re 123rd in the nation which isn’t bad.

however we give up on offensive rebound on 33.2% of our opponents misses which is 326th in the country aka pretty terrible
Wow. I didn't even know there were that many schools.

This teams biggest problem by a mile is our defense at the 5 and defense up top. If we had good defense up top or a good defense from the 5 there would be some bailing out happening. As we don't we have to score 80+ a night to win

326th? What have we been ranked the past few years in that stat? Or in the past when we were good? You can probably find that faster than me as you’ve already found that stat for this year

326th? What have we been ranked the past few years in that stat? Or in the past when we were good? You can probably find that faster than me as you’ve already found that stat for this year
For us giving up offensive boards?

2019 - 335
2018 - 246
2017 - 335

2014 we were 175 and 2008 we were 137. Those are our 2 best years since 1999

This teams biggest problem by a mile is our defense at the 5 and defense up top. If we had good defense up top or a good defense from the 5 there would be some bailing out happening. As we don't we have to score 80+ a night to win
We need better athletes at the top of the zone and the center. This is the heart of the defensive so its a huge problem. If we had better athletes at the top of the zone they could help the center by denying the entry pass.

Right now we are not denying middle or guarding the 3.

The weak side forward has to rebound well it's not just the center. Hughes only had 5 rebounds in 40mins.

We have to play Hughes some at the top of the zone.

We need better athletes at the top of the zone and the center. This is the heart of the defensive so its a huge problem. If we had better athletes at the top of the zone they could help the center by denying the entry pass.

Right now we are not denying middle or guarding the 3.

The weak side forward has to rebound well it's not just the center. Hughes only had 5 rebounds in 40mins.

We have to play Hughes some at the top of the zone.
I agree. I've been saying that for a month

For us giving up offensive boards?

2019 - 335
2018 - 246
2017 - 335

2014 we were 175 and 2008 we were 137. Those are our 2 best years since 1999
The weakness of the zone is on the offensive glass.

It's strengths when played well are steals/force turnovers and defensive field goal percentage against.

When we are not getting deflections and not holding teams to a low percentage we are not playing good zone defense.

I don't know. A bunch of times over the years, including this year, I see us make a bunch of stops in a row on the initial shot, but then get butchered over and over with 2nd and 3rd shots.

We need better athletes at the top of the zone and the center. This is the heart of the defensive so its a huge problem. . . . We have to play Hughes some at the top of the zone.
At least the guys we have at the top of the zone offset their defense by scoring on offense. And we need Buddy and Girard as shooters to allow Hughes to get some room to operate.
The problem is at center, where we get very little offense and not enough inside defense or defensive rebounding.

I think our biggest problem is we're not very good at basketball.

I keep going around in circles but always end up at the same conclusion as you.

At least the guys we have at the top of the zone offset their defense by scoring on offense. And we need Buddy and Girard as shooters to allow Hughes to get some room to operate.
The problem is at center, where we get very little offense and not enough inside defense or defensive rebounding.
We are 8-6 and we just lost a game where we scored 87 points.

Defense matters

2 years ago we lost 51-49 to Notre Dame with Battle and Howard when Notre Dame was missing 3 players. I’ll take this game all day over that one.

Was that the game where Howard and someone else loafed it back as Notre Dame had a breakaway at the end of the game?

I think our biggest problem is we're not very good at basketball.

Lol.

My first reaction to the OP is that it’s like looking at a piece of Swiss cheese and trying to describe the biggest hole.

Folks, our team is Swiss cheese. And not the gourmet variety.

We’ve always been a pretty mediocre to bad defensive rebounding team (because we play zone and you can’t just turn and block out the guy you’re guarding like you can in m2m), but this year we’re particularly atrocious. We’ve been in some recent seasons too. I do think JB’s rebounding philosophy out of the zone could use a refresher. They should still teach blocking out nearby guys to try to gain some advantage but instead they just tell our guys “to go get it.”

It's different every night, that's why it's so much fun to Watch.

80% of the time we will shoot 5/13% Times better then opponents, but 90% of the time, and they still will get more shots up. If Sidibe and Dolezaj were given 25 fouls a game, our opponents would still go back up on 2nd and 3rd chances.

In addition to that, in close games it's always if we did or didn't make an additional 2 plays.
Turnovers. ND 9 Cuse 11. If we both had 11, we win.

Sidibe had his mind ready for 5 offensive boards, but didn't make the decision ahead of time to grab the 1 defensive out of the air.
In the very end that's is the difference maker between 18/23 wins. Wish we had James harden or lebron James, but we don't.

Last edited:
We’ve always been a pretty mediocre to bad defensive rebounding team (because we play zone and you can’t just turn and block out the guy you’re guarding like you can in m2m), but this year we’re particularly atrocious. We’ve been in some recent seasons too. I do think JB’s rebounding philosophy out of the zone could use a refresher. They should still teach blocking out nearby guys to try to gain some advantage but instead they just tell our guys “to go get it.”

I'm still waiting for the guards to listen to the part of "go get it".

Watching the guards play D and especially rebound reminds me of that table hockey game where the players could only move in straight lines. The ball goes to a position off the line and they seem like they are restricted by some cosmic force and move in slow motion towards any free ball.

It also seems like the 3,4's and 5's always try to block shots instead of boxing out and rebounding. Jim seems to want contested shots and that's his MO but sadly this team isn't equipped to be able to do that part of the equation as well as in the past. Sid and Marek are tweeners in that regard.

Other teams have a "hit the offensive boards" mentality and we don't. I hate it when Girard shoots and fades back down court or even turns his back on the play. Shooters should know when it's going to miss and where it's likely to bounce to.

WE really need somebody to coach them up...someone like Bernie Fine. Teach them to block out better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom