Teams have the book on us not much we can do. | Syracusefan.com

Teams have the book on us not much we can do.

kcsu

Living Legend
Put ball pressure on Frank and Tyus. Clog the middle. We are cooked as JB doesnt know how to or has the talent to overcome 3 guys who are not really a threat to score

Tyus got by people. He either tried bad layups, got stripped/fouled, got rejected, etc. Bonner said it once...nobody is making themselves available when Tyus was driving.
He did a few times but they are leaving our wings open and clogging the lane. Its obvious we cant shoot well enough to beat teams from the perimeter so they are taking away the lane.

Put ball pressure on Frank and Tyus. Clog the middle. We are cooked as JB doesnt know how to or has the talent to overcome 3 guys who are not really a threat to score

Teams have to have the personnel to do that, though. You need 2 guards who are both quicker than ours and above average defenders. Not super rare, but not super common either. You also need a big rim protector. Again, not super rare but not super common.

For instance, if Grayson Allen tried to put as much ball pressure on Battle or Frank as the GT guards did today, he'd get coooked over and over again because he's not a good defender. I don't have intimate knowledge of all our upcoming ACC opponents, but I'd bet more than a few have at least one guard who Frank or Tyus could beat somewhat consistently.

Tyus got by people. He either tried bad layups, got stripped/fouled, got rejected, etc. Bonner said it once...nobody is making themselves available when Tyus was driving.

I thought we were seeing some progress with the off-ball movement the last few games but that came to a screeching halt today. Not sure what happened.

It comes down to talent. We don't have much at all. Can't coach that. Everything else amounts to about 10% of the issue, 90% of it is talent and a complete lack of depth. Battle is a good college player, nothing more nothing less, Brisett will develop and frank is hot and cold... and those are your top 3 and have NOTHING after that

It comes down to talent. We don't have much at all. Can't coach that. Everything else amounts to about 10% of the issue, 90% of it is talent and a complete lack of depth. Battle is a good college player, nothing more nothing less, Brisett will develop and frank is hot and cold... and those are your top 3 and have NOTHING after that
Not a fan of the talent argument. Staff takes credit for wins when we have talent, gotta maximize and coach up the lean talent years.

I think the book must have come out after 25-0. Maybe there is a special section for the refs in that book, too.
I thought we were seeing some progress with the off-ball movement the last few games but that came to a screeching halt today. Not sure what happened.

Clutch and grab physical defense. And such a team not getting called for it, per the usual. This is partly why it becomes unwatchable. Of course it didn't help to hear the crowd chanting obnoxiously, or Brando getting all excited when the other team scored, but couldn't care less when we scored. Fun.

Most good college teams have two to four above average three point shooters. We only three guys who can even take a three point shot. Of those, best case, two are average and one is below average. That clearly limits our options. On top of that we have a center with bad hands, which limits dump offs on drives.

We simply lack weapons.

What I never understood is that we go after certain guards because they fit the mold of our zone defense, tall, long and athletic. But, we don't maximize those "strengths" on the offensive end. They should be creating plays to post up these kids when we play against smaller competition. Alverado is 5'10 freshman, Frank had 6 inches on him and 20lbs with a high release point on his shot. Get Frank get the ball 6-8 ft out and have him do some work. You have to take advantage of the opportunities that present themselves.

I think the book must have come out after 25-0. Maybe there is a special section for the refs in that book, too.

Clutch and grab physical defense. And such a team not getting called for it, per the usual. This is partly why it becomes unwatchable. Of course it didn't help to hear the crowd chanting obnoxiously, or Brando getting all excited when the other team scored, but couldn't care less when we scored. Fun.

Please. Gee, I sure see a lot of teams struggling with Georgia Tech, lol. Our offense wasn’t any better against Pitt or ND. Pitt was just the worst of the three. Sure there were some missed calls. It was wildly inconsistent for both teams. Alvarado would just move his feet then Frank would dribble off his own foot.

A live look at our offense when someone else has the ball

giphy.gif

What I never understood is that we go after certain guards because they fit the mold of our zone defense, tall, long and athletic. But, we don't maximize those "strengths" on the offensive end. They should be creating plays to post up these kids when we play against smaller competition. Alverado is 5'10 freshman, Frank had 6 inches on him and 20lbs with a high release point on his shot. Get Frank get the ball 6-8 ft out and have him do some work. You have to take advantage of the opportunities that present themselves.

The complete refusal to ever post anyone up is negatively affecting basketball and makes zero sense.

I guess you could say the glaring reason we lost was the loose balls invariably moving upcourt ahead of our defense for easy baskets for them, and not vice versa. Otherwise neither team could score. We lost the transition game.

The complete refusal to ever post anyone up is negatively affecting basketball and makes zero sense.

You can only post up if there is a real threat at the trey line for a potential kick out or if there is a real threat down low for a dump off. If you lack thse alternarives the d can simply double the post up player.

To me the only answer is to run more of the o thru marek or matt at the high post, but that will only work if they can keep the d honest by making some mid range js.

I don't know. Posting up can ruin basketball too if the refs let it. I couldn't stand it when LeBron was unbeatable by doing his little wiggle, just because he can. I thought that was ruining basketball. I guess its all about balance.

Not a fan of the talent argument. Staff takes credit for wins when we have talent, gotta maximize and coach up the lean talent years.

And yet, it is true. The sanctions / scholarship restrictions really took their toll. But the staff deserves some level of "blame" [to your point] for roster management, and not having sufficient depth or enough guys who can score or hit from outside.

We need one of these Wife Swap show scenarios. Give Boeheim Xavier and Chris Mack Syracuse.

Does Boeheim turn X into an ISO team and get them stagnant? Do we see ball movement and cutting off the ball with Mack? My the intrigue.

It is February now. Five Top 100 guys (I’m counting Oshae) played minutes yesterday and that is what we roll out there on offense? I get there are some bad fits like Frank at PG and lack of shooting, but, is everybody really that bad?! Maybe they are.

Last edited:
Does GT have better players?

No. Outside of Lammers and Okogie, SU has a better roster. How many points did Tech get because of turnovers and Marek forgetting where the defender was in the zone? The turnovers was Tech's offense for most of the game. They are legitimately that bad of a program. SU played so poorly, they still had a chance to send the game into OT. A good program would have blown the doors off of Syracuse last night.

a complete lack of depth.
That is obviously true. It's great to have depth, but this only matters if that depth gets to play and have a tangible influence on the game.

Depth doesn't seem to matter that much with JB. He will not play many players no matter how many are on the bench, who on other teams might see more PT as the head coach switches up the line up (looks) and gives his starters a blow from time to time. Every year, we fans look forward to next year when there will be more available guys and we come up with all these line up scenarios. But then next year comes and it basically ends up the same old thing. Same number of guys, few subs. This year did hurt with TT and GT leaving, but would that have mattered that much depth (PT) wise?

Any casual fan can watch this team for 5-10 minutes and see exactly how to stop us. It's not difficult and the way we play/run an offense does not help.

We need one of these Wife Swap show scenarios. Give Boeheim Xavier and Chris Mack Syracuse.

Does Boeheim turn X into an ISO team and get them stagnant? Do we see ball movement and cutting off the ball with Mack? My the intrigue.

It is February now. Five Top 100 guys (I’m counting Oshae) played minutes yesterday and that is what we roll out there on offense? I get there are some bad fits like Frank at PG and lack of shooting, but, is everybody really that bad?! Maybe they are.
That would be fascinating with Mack or any other number of coaches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom