Teams have the book on us not much we can do. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Teams have the book on us not much we can do.

Not a fan of the talent argument. Staff takes credit for wins when we have talent, gotta maximize and coach up the lean talent years.

You have a proven hall of fame coach, what else could it be?? If he has talent he wins a lot of games, pretty cut and dry to me. People just want to look for stuff that isn't there, we have played nothing but zone for 25 years, more teams play zone than ever before. We have no knockdown shooters, no power forward or real scoring down low, we are devoid of many things on the talent side, many things.

JB isn't going to change and yes there are coaches that do different things but that's not really the issue, it just isn't. That's a blood out of rock type argument. This team, IMO is being coached UP, but the starting point and the ceiling is too damn low to compete with the upper echelon. The shooting and offensive prowess just isn't there.

Last edited:
That is obviously true. It's great to have depth, but this only matters if that depth gets to play and have a tangible influence on the game.

Depth doesn't seem to matter that much with JB. He will not play many players no matter how many are on the bench, who on other teams might see more PT as the head coach switches up the line up (looks) and gives his starters a blow from time to time. Every year, we fans look forward to next year when there will be more available guys and we come up with all these line up scenarios. But then next year comes and it basically ends up the same old thing. Same number of guys, few subs. This year did hurt with TT and GT leaving, but would that have mattered that much depth (PT) wise?

When JB has talent he has 7 kids that can really play. Right now you have 1 player that can really play at the college level ( Battle) Frank is good but wildly inconsistent and Brisett who is obviously very talented but probably being asked to do too much too soon, so we have 3 good players and couple bigs that are OK in certain areas and severely limited in others. That is all

Last edited:
It's 2018 and we haven't figured out you need shooters to win in Basketball.

You'd think the obsession of NBA small ball and stretch 4's would open some eyes on the coaching staff but apparently we think you can win basketball games by how your players look getting off the bus.

6'6 guards, 6'8 forwards, 7'2 whoaaaa... Then they all play like Stanley from The Office when they challenge the warehouse to a pick up game.

You'd think the obsession of NBA small ball and stretch 4's would open some eyes on the coaching staff but apparently we think you can win basketball games by how your players look getting off the bus.

6'6 guards, 6'8 forwards, 7'2 whoaaaa... Then they all play like Stanley from The Office when they challenge the warehouse to a pick up game.

I bet teams look at us, see nobody weighing more than 210 lbs and think they can be physical with us. Usually, they can.

He had Tyler Lydon and Taurean Thompson, who are quintessential stretch 4s, both of who could have been on this year's team. I don't think it's terribly helpful to re-litigate the Lydon and Thompson departures, but it is obviously the case that Boeheim has brought in the types of guys you accuse him of not bringing in. Brissett is going to be a perfectly good shooter for a 4; he's just a freshman this year.

Marek is the type of player folks constantly bash SU for not getting - a scrappy, basketball-savvy player whose effort is greater than his strength. It really hurts the team that he can't shoot this year.

I bet teams look at us, see nobody weighing more than 210 lbs and think they can be physical with us. Usually, they can.
And they know that they will probably lose if they don't play the physical card.

He had Tyler Lydon and Taurean Thompson, who are quintessential stretch 4s, both of who could have been on this year's team. I don't think it's terribly helpful to re-litigate the Lydon and Thompson departures, but it is obviously the case that Boeheim has brought in the types of guys you accuse him of not bringing in. Brissett is going to be a perfectly good shooter for a 4; he's just a freshman this year.

Marek is the type of player folks constantly bash SU for not getting - a scrappy, basketball-savvy player whose effort is greater than his strength. It really hurts the team that he can't shoot this year.
Where they at tho?...

I was at the game and didn't see either of them. I don't really care that we recruited one stretch 4 who went pro after 2 years, everyone knew he was probably gone all year. Taurean Thompson is a good mid-range shooter, not exactly the stretch 4 im talking about and he left the team.

CBB is at a point where programs like Syracuse shouldn't be using the "but he's a freshman excuse"...not when we only have players for 1-2 years.

What I never understood is that we go after certain guards because they fit the mold of our zone defense, tall, long and athletic. But, we don't maximize those "strengths" on the offensive end. They should be creating plays to post up these kids when we play against smaller competition. Alverado is 5'10 freshman, Frank had 6 inches on him and 20lbs with a high release point on his shot. Get Frank get the ball 6-8 ft out and have him do some work. You have to take advantage of the opportunities that present themselves.
There must be a reason JB didn’t want to do that. He’s usually a master of exploiting matchup advantages (see MCW and Triche posting up Indiana’s little guards and attacking them off the bounce, feeding the ball to Jerami Grant over and over against Duke after Jabari Parker and their big guys fouled out). But I did wonder about it against both Pitt and Ga Tech.

That is obviously true. It's great to have depth, but this only matters if that depth gets to play and have a tangible influence on the game.

Depth doesn't seem to matter that much with JB. He will not play many players no matter how many are on the bench, who on other teams might see more PT as the head coach switches up the line up (looks) and gives his starters a blow from time to time. Every year, we fans look forward to next year when there will be more available guys and we come up with all these line up scenarios. But then next year comes and it basically ends up the same old thing. Same number of guys, few subs. This year did hurt with TT and GT leaving, but would that have mattered that much depth (PT) wise?
TT would have helped enormously. I don’t know how anyone could argue otherwise. He was a bucket getter and could shoot from outside. We would have moved him to PF. Right now that spot is a black hole on offense. I also believe he would have improved on defense. The first thing he said in an interview with the PS after last season was that he really needed to improve his defense in the off season.

That was the book on us in September. The question is, why can't the staff come up with ways to overcome this?

You don't think they have tried a bunch of things. We don't have the horses. We don't have shooters or get much offense from our bigs and we have a pg who turns it over a lot.

Teams have the book on us not much we can do.

GOT_10.jpg

Where they at tho?...

I was at the game and didn't see either of them. I don't really care that we recruited one stretch 4 who went pro after 2 years, everyone knew he was probably gone all year. Taurean Thompson is a good mid-range shooter, not exactly the stretch 4 im talking about and he left the team.

CBB is at a point where programs like Syracuse shouldn't be using the "but he's a freshman excuse"...not when we only have players for 1-2 years.

This is why I wanted Montgomery. He’s Lydon with a better handle. Can’t have fours that can’t score anymore.

You don't think they have tried a bunch of things. We don't have the horses. We don't have shooters or get much offense from our bigs and we have a pg who turns it over a lot.

I'm aware of our limitations. I don't think our attempted solutions have been particularly innovative. The primary approach seems to be...

giphy.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom