Teeny Armed Pugh | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Teeny Armed Pugh

my coach:

KateUptonSportsIllustratedSwimsuit201111.jpg

You probably didn't notice but she does appear to have long arms.

I know no one will see this post around all of the Kate Upton pictures, but have we really gone this far into the discussion about Justin's short arms without a Pugh-ny reference? You people are slacking.

All kidding aside, Justin was amazing yesterday and did nothing but improve his draft stock. There was only one instance where his man got by him. He handled everything else that was thrown his way and had one beautiful pancake block. Several times you could see him drive his man back 10 yards or so. He stood two bull rushers straight up and was rarely pushed backwards all day. My favorite Justin Pugh play was when rusher did the Freeney spin, Pugh pushed him aside and took on another rusher who tried to fill the opening.

Arm length is one reason I think Justin could possibly morph into a center in the NFL. He joked with me that it was the only position he could not step in an play right away at SU and that maybe he should start learning it. He may have been a prophet. We'll see. I don't think he can bulk up to NFL guard size and maintain his great athleticism - his footwork and mechanics are flawless with his current frame. Perhaps he remains at tackle in the right system. In any event, this is not new information to him and probably wasn't to the draft advisory board when it gave him its assessment. The NFL, for good or bad, is a league of "measurables."

All kidding aside, Justin was amazing yesterday and did nothing but improve his draft stock. There was only one instance where his man got by him. He handled everything else that was thrown his way and had one beautiful pancake block. Several times you could see him drive his man back 10 yards or so. He stood two bull rushers straight up and was rarely pushed backwards all day. My favorite Justin Pugh play was when rusher did the Freeney spin, Pugh pushed him aside and took on another rusher who tried to fill the opening.

That's not completely accurate. He got the guy from Miami Ohio killed. The UGA guy ate him up. LSU, not so much. He did okay.

Arm length is one reason I think Justin could possibly morph into a center in the NFL. He joked with me that it was the only position he could not step in an play right away at SU and that maybe he should start learning it. He may have been a prophet. We'll see. I don't think he can bulk up to NFL guard size and maintain his great athleticism - his footwork and mechanics are flawless with his current frame. Perhaps he remains at tackle in the right system. In any event, this is not new information to him and probably wasn't to the draft advisory board when it gave him its assessment. The NFL, for good or bad, is a league of "measurables."
Dave I thought the article by Michael Cohen was unfair to Justin.

"It was a difficult day for the Syracuse football players" and headline "Three Syracuse football players struggle in Senior Bowl" is both a disservice to the players, readers as well as followers and fans of Syracuse football.

IMHO I thought Justin had a great day. As was pointed out by the NFL expert on the broadcast Justin displayed great footwork and technique. Among the things I observed were that he kept himself square to his man. In many of the blocking situations Pugh drove his man backwards, in a couple of cases as far as 10 yards. He stayed engaged in his blocks through the play. He handled several bull rushes very well with minimum backwards movement. Had one fabulous pancake. One South defender tried to pull a Dwight Freeney spin move. Justin stayed composed and veered him off course, suddenly another defender filled the void and Pugh quickly engaged him preventing a sack.

Justin played in about 80% of the North's offensive plays. I would say that in 90% he had a positive outcome. Three plays where he might receive a minus, illegal movement penalty, man got by him and his defender once pushed him near the QB. On that last play another defender pushed the O-lineman on the other side into the QB and then the QB was pushed into Pugh and went down.

There is no doubt in my mind that Justin Pugh's play yesterday helped elevate his draft stock.

The blanket statement above by Cohen was also unfair to Alec Lemon. I responded to the new PS writer with, "Did he drop balls, run the wrong routes, miss blocking assignments get called for penalties." Of course he didn't. Only one ball was thrown his way and that was by Ryan who threw the ball into coverage.

The statement may have hit closer to home with Ryan, however, the North was running a conventional huddle offense. Ryan shinned in SU's version of the K-Gun. Any football expert will tell you that these all star settings are not always good QB showcases.

All three SU players were important cogs in an SU record setting season. Cohen's reporting was unfairly harsh.

Pugh - B
Nassib - F
Lemon - Inc

Pugh was good but not great. Nassib had a horrible day. Lemon I can't grade cause they didn't go to him and it's impossible for me to grade the other stuff like route running, blocking etc.

I think my grades are the fairest assessment. Maybe Nassib could be a D or D- cause the OL was horrible.

Sent using my Commodore 64 on Tapatalk 5.3

Barney will be fine at the next level. It's not how high your draft stock is but what you do when get there. There was a knock about his strength, didn't he have surgery last year and miss some games. He now has an off season to gain the strength he lost. He will go 2nd round. A lot of teams will try to be coy and steal him in the 3rd, but will be disappointed when he is off the board.

Justin Pugh@JustinPugh67
On my way back to ATL. Right back to training. Can't afford to take a day off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom