Tell me about - Minnesota Golden Gophers | Syracusefan.com

Tell me about - Minnesota Golden Gophers

ROCcuse

2nd String
#8 team and I know next to nothing about them.

Personnel, strengths, weaknesses, etc?

They're going through a pretty tough patch in their schedule now

had and have upcoming Michigan State (W), Illinois (W), Indiana (1/12), and Michigan (1/17) in five games.

I've seen them a few times including the 2H of yesterday. Mbakwe (grad student I believe) is an undersized big man with a huge motor. I think he would destroy our frontline. He's good. Coleman is their 2G I think. They play hard and together. Illinois is good too but Minnesota is a very good TEAM. Maybe RF knows more about them.

I have watched them play 3 or 4 times this year. Here are my assessments:

They have a good mix of seniors and underslcassmen. They share it well and are a pretty decent rebounding team. Mbakwe is a beast on the boards (I think he averages like 8 a game). They have the 2 Hollins players, Williams and Coleman who shoots it very well from 3 point range. They also are a very good FT shooting team. This is a pretty good offensive team who will put up 70 a night in the B1G (which is like 150 in the Big East)

They got smoked by Duke but Duke shot the ball well in that game from behind the arc ( from what I can remember) and Minny had a poor shooting game. Plumlee really hurt them in that game.

Tubby can certainly coach and he has done a decent job since going there given it is Minnesota.

I think they are a tad overrated at #8 (or whatever they are) and will certainly take some lumps in the B1G this season. I see them finishing behind Michigan, Indiana and Ohio State in their conference. They will probably be like a 4-5 seed in the NCAA's. They have a huge game at Indiana coming up which will tell a lot.

I know they beat FSU...that is not saying much though...

Sent from Kindle Fire HD

I have watched them play 3 or 4 times this year. Here are my assessments:

They have a good mix of seniors and underslcassmen. They share it well and are a pretty decent rebounding team. Mbakwe is a beast on the boards (I think he averages like 8 a game). They have the 2 Hollins players, Williams and Coleman who shoots it very well from 3 point range. They also are a very good FT shooting team. This is a pretty good offensive team who will put up 70 a night in the B1G (which is like 150 in the Big East)

They got smoked by Duke but Duke shot the ball well in that game from behind the arc ( from what I can remember) and Minny had a poor shooting game. Plumlee really hurt them in that game.

Tubby can certainly coach and he has done a decent job since going there given it is Minnesota.

I think they are a tad overrated at #8 (or whatever they are) and will certainly take some lumps in the B1G this season. I see them finishing behind Michigan, Indiana and Ohio State in their conference. They will probably be like a 4-5 seed in the NCAA's. They have a huge game at Indiana coming up which will tell a lot.

You watch college basketball, marsh?

You watch college basketball, marsh?

Lets just say that tonight is a triple header (st marys vs gonzaga is on at 11) so tomorrow so i will be very tired. Thankfully i have a fresh sixer of miller pounders in the fridge.

Ive been on the couch staring at the blank tv until the unc/ miami game came on at 7.

Lets just say that tonight is a triple header (st marys vs gonzaga is on at 11) so tomorroe i will be very tired. Thankfully i have a fresh sixer of miller pounders in the fridge.

Ive been on the couch staring at the blank tv until the unc/ miami game came on at 7.

Look for me on saturday...nc vs. Fsu...i will be the one wearing orange...

Sent from Kindle Fire HD

marsh too soon for your 15/16 seed scouting reports for our possible 1st round opponent? lol

Unc is having trouble against the canes? Oh how the mighty has fallen.

Sent from Kindle Fire HD

Lets just say that tonight is a triple header (st marys vs gonzaga is on at 11) so tomorrow so i will be very tired. Thankfully i have a fresh sixer of miller pounders in the fridge.

Reason #1945 why you should move to Alaska, Marsh. Gonzaga game is on at 7pm here.

Plus I could golf 24 hours a day in the summer months.

Reason #103 right there. Fort Wainwright has a pretty good 18 hole course. Few other 9 holes around town.

Your gonna be surprised when you go out to mow the lawn and see a foot of snow out there.

Your gonna be surprised when you go out to mow the lawn and see a foot of snow out there.

Cant wait to mow my lawn.

Nice game UNC. This team sucks.

We need to organize an AK trip for you lower 48 guys combining ocean fishing on a bareboat charter and golfing as many rounds in a day as you want.

I've seen them a few times including the 2H of yesterday. Mbakwe (grad student I believe) is an undersized big man with a huge motor. I think he would destroy our frontline. He's good. Coleman is their 2G I think. They play hard and together. Illinois is good too but Minnesota is a very good TEAM. Maybe RF knows more about them.

Hollins is their star. Kid was a top 100 recruit who struggled last season as a frosh, but got thrust into a more prominent role during the gophers nit run last year. This year, he's an experienced difference maker as a scoring point who is a tremendous shooter.

Coleman is another perimeter stud who excels from trifecta land, but can also but the ball on the floor a little bit. He scored 29 last night against Illiniois, on the road.

Rodney Williams is a poor man's Hakim Warrick. Jumping jack who excels in transition and off the offensive boards, but isn't much of a shooter.

Trevor Mbakwe is a former Marquette transfer who is playing as a 6th year medical hardship this season. He's 6-8 245 of no frills. Earns a lot of calls inside as a "known" senior in the big 10.

Tubby has the team clicking on all cylinders right now. They are dangerous as an outside shooting team, and right now they are confident as hell. They beat an [admittedly, tremendously overrated] Michigan State team at home, and whipped a quality Illinois team on the road.

This is a team that if they shoot well, they can beat a lot of teams. If they don't...

They play hard defensively--Tubby's signature calling card. Not a great rebounding team.

Personally, I can't stand the Gophers--a position solidified by our football loss to them back in September. I'd like to think that they are overrated at #8, but I think they are a tough team that is better offensively than most minnesota teams under Tubby. Will be interesting to see how they perform throughout the rest of the big 10 schedule.

Hollins is their star. Kid was a top 100 recruit who struggled last season as a frosh, but got thrust into a more prominent role during the gophers nit run last year. This year, he's an experienced difference maker as a scoring point who is a tremendous shooter.

Coleman is another perimeter stud who excels from trifecta land, but can also but the ball on the floor a little bit. He scored 29 last night against Illiniois, on the road.

Rodney Williams is a poor man's Hakim Warrick. Jumping jack who excels in transition and off the offensive boards, but isn't much of a shooter.

Trevor Mbakwe is a former Marquette transfer who is playing as a 6th year medical hardship this season. He's 6-8 245 of no frills. Earns a lot of calls inside as a "known" senior in the big 10.

Tubby has the team clicking on all cylinders right now. They are dangerous as an outside shooting team, and right now they are confident as hell. They beat an [admittedly, tremendously overrated] Michigan State team at home, and whipped a quality Illinois team on the road.

This is a team that if they shoot well, they can beat a lot of teams. If they don't...

They play hard defensively--Tubby's signature calling card. Not a great rebounding team.

Personally, I can't stand the Gophers--a position solidified by our football loss to them back in September. I'd like to think that they are overrated at #8, but I think they are a tough team that is better offensively than most minnesota teams under Tubby. Will be interesting to see how they perform throughout the rest of the big 10 schedule.

They are actually not a bad rebounding team. They have out rebounded just about every team that they have played. Even against Duke they out rebounded them (although Plumlee grabbed 17 on his own).

They are actually not a bad rebounding team. They have out rebounded just about every team that they have played. Even against Duke they out rebounded them (although Plumlee grabbed 17 on his own).

I know that Mbakwe averages a hair under 8rpg, and that williams is around 5.9 rpg [from stats from yesterday's illinois game]. I don't think they have anybody else who gets that many, but maybe their backcourt rebounds more than I gave them credit for.

Like most Tubby Smith coached teams, they play hard.

last nite made me a believer that theyre a legit final 4 team. illinois is a solid team and thats a tough place to win even when they suck and minnesota spanked them.

I know that Mbakwe averages a hair under 8rpg, and that williams is around 5.9 rpg [from stats from yesterday's illinois game]. I don't think they have anybody else who gets that many, but maybe their backcourt rebounds more than I gave them credit for.

Like most Tubby Smith coached teams, they play hard.

They do play hard. I forgot that Mbakwe was a Marquette transfer. Good call.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CB277777

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom