Temple hiring Rod Carey | Syracusefan.com

Temple hiring Rod Carey

you don't often see someone make a move like this, a coach of a solid MAC program going to another solid MAC program. NIU is about a half hour from where I live, I will be interested to see if they do hire Hammock.

you don't often see someone make a move like this, a coach of a solid MAC program going to another solid MAC program. NIU is about a half hour from where I live, I will be interested to see if they do hire Hammock.

Yep, except Temple is in the AAC but kinda, sorta same difference. It's not a huge step-up. Money might be a reason? Temple has lost Addazio, Rhule, Collins, Diaz in quick succession. They must have quite the war chest from contract buyouts to get a solid coach. And ever since the Big East disintegrated, it would appear that Temple has really benefited from the vacuum created. Coaches go in knowing they can win there. Huge difference from 15 years ago when they got kicked out of the BE for non-competitiveness.

Yep, except Temple is in the AAC but kinda, sorta same difference. It's not a huge step-up. Money might be a reason? Temple has lost Addazio, Rhule, Collins, Diaz in quick succession. They must have quite the war chest from contract buyouts to get a solid coach. And ever since the Big East disintegrated, it would appear that Temple has really benefited from the vacuum created. Coaches go in knowing they can win there. Huge difference from 15 years ago when they got kicked out of the BE for non-competitiveness.
And Golden.

sorry, I am a moron, I knew that they are AAC, having only three remaining brain cells after 17 years of raising daughters caught up with me finally! excellent points, especially the war chest they have from buyouts, I think it was $4.5 million total for Collins and Diaz

It's a solid step up.

Very good football program in a good conference that includes Houston, USF, Cincy and UCF.

Plus he comes to a large city and media market.

It's the right decision.

It's a solid step up.

Very good football program in a good conference that includes Houston, USF, Cincy and UCF.

Plus he comes to a large city and media market.

It's the right decision.

Agree it's a step up. But guys can make the bigger jump to the P5 from Northern Illinois or the MAC, for that matter, too. Doeren, the guy Carey replaced, and Babers are just two of many examples. And Northern Illinois is in a big market. Dekalb is only about 60 miles from downtown Chicago. It gets coverage in the Chicago media equal to what Temple does in Philly. Carey is a Midwestern guy. It's a bit of a surprise on that front as well. I'm sure the pay package helps to cure any homesickness.

Agree it's a step up. But guys can make the bigger jump to the P5 from Northern Illinois or the MAC, for that matter, too. Doeren, the guy Carey replaced, and Babers are just two of many examples. And Northern Illinois is in a big market. Dekalb is only about 60 miles from downtown Chicago. It gets coverage in the Chicago media equal to what Temple does in Philly. Carey is a Midwestern guy. It's a bit of a surprise on that front as well. I'm sure the pay package helps to cure any homesickness.
Sure, but you can jump even easier from Temple based on recent history.

sorry, I am a moron, I knew that they are AAC, having only three remaining brain cells after 17 years of raising daughters caught up with me finally! excellent points, especially the war chest they have from buyouts, I think it was $4.5 million total for Collins and Diaz
Nah, your not a moron. An honest mistake. They were in the MAC until fairly recently.

He may see it as a perfect step to get a P5 job. Being in Philly gets him into the backyards of both the NJ and Baltimore/DC recruiting areas. If he gets sound contacts there, plus improved contacts in FL (from playing UCF and USF), he will be set for bigger offers.

Northern Illinois gets a lot of attention in Chicago?

Over Northwetern? Illinois? Purdue? Norte Dame???

Temple is the only major college football program in Philadelphia- the school is in the city itself.

The fact is that none of the Power 5 schools hired Carey.

He should be very happy with a solid Temple job.

Last edited:
It’s true, no one in Chicago really thinks of Northern. My wife went to Northern and college football was more of a social gathering than any real sense of true fandom.

You’re also forgetting about Wisconsin. In my experiences, Wisco and ND carry more weight than any other schools in Chicago at least from a true fan following. Northwestern is getting a little more play given they’re recent success in football over the past 5-6 years. Only the transplants to Chicago truy care about college football. True Chicagoans are really only passionate about pro sports.

It’s true, no one in Chicago really thinks of Northern. My wife went to Northern and college football was more of a social gathering than any real sense of true fandom.

You’re also forgetting about Wisconsin. In my experiences, Wisco and ND carry more weight than any other schools in Chicago at least from a true fan following. Northwestern is getting a little more play given they’re recent success in football over the past 5-6 years. Only the transplants to Chicago truy care about college football. True Chicagoans are really only passionate about pro sports.

Agreed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom