Ten years ago: Syracuse Basketball The Season that should have been. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Ten years ago: Syracuse Basketball The Season that should have been.

We definitely got the luck of the draw a couple times in the tourney, but that 2010 draw was BRUTAL. If we play any other 4/5 seed, we walk to at least the FF and maybe even win it, but Butler obviously was much better than their seed.

2000 and 2005 stick out as the other crummy draws.
To me, it wasn't even about the draw. I think Cuse handles Butler with AO. That quad injury, IMO, will go down as one of the most brutal injuries in Cuse history. I truly believe that team cruises to the F4 with him. Just my opinion, but I truly believe that team was well positioned for a run at the title.

I think our 2012 game at St. Johns was the most Syracuse fans that have ever been inside MSG at one time. The crowd was like 90% Orange and it was amazing. The place went insane after the below MCW dunk.

Was that the same game at the garden that Grant had the amazing two handed catch block?

I was more heartbroken when we lost in 2010 than 2012, but only but a little. It's just terrible that neither team has a final four appearance

We've had 5 teams that achieved a #1 ranking and 6 Final Four teams. That's 11 different teams. We keep sending the wrong teams to the Final Four, (with one exception).

Last edited:
I think our 2012 game at St. Johns was the most Syracuse fans that have ever been inside MSG at one time. The crowd was like 90% Orange and it was amazing. The place went insane after the below MCW dunk.

That was so much fun. St. Johns fans were demoralized to the point that I almost felt bad for them.

Didn't Arinze say it was a matter of time for his quad? He needed treatment everyday for it and it was eventually gonna go? Just 8 games or so early?

I'll never forget when I found out (on here I think) Fab was out for the tournament. Talk about deflated. I still agree though with a few above - 2012 was Kentucky's year. 2010 was our year.

Did a shot w DC after that game. We sat in front of Danny Ainge recruiting. What a game.

I ask that we close this thread. This is very painful. It was 10 years ago and now its even more. Thank you for your consideration.

1645628551109.png

Fab's first game back from the suspension, IIRC.

And as a bonus, the suspension allowed some reserves to get real in-game experience. It was February and the bench hadn't been shortened yet.

To me, it wasn't even about the draw. I think Cuse handles Butler with AO. That quad injury, IMO, will go down as one of the most brutal injuries in Cuse history. I truly believe that team cruises to the F4 with him. Just my opinion, but I truly believe that team was well positioned for a run at the title.

Butler (and, people forget, both getting shipped out West because the East regional was in the Dome and then also getting the short turnaround between the subregional and SLC) was a horrible draw, no doubt.

But even without Onuaku that was a wide-open path to the final game. Kansas State and Xavier went to double-OT in the other game. After that, Michigan State was in the same situation SU was, Kalin Lucas had torn his Achilles or something like that and was out; SU was a lot stronger than they were. And Duke was weak that year.

All SU needed to do was a) not spot Butler an 11-0 lead or b) not slow the tempo when we were opening it up late. That's the kind of game that sticks with a fan for a long time...

And this is why I HATE Daryl Gross. None of that needed to happen

I for one feel bad for Jim Boeheim. It's frustrating when your boss goes behind your back and directs your subordinates to commit academic fraud on behalf of a college student.

Their fans were so salty after that game.

I think the 2010 team was one of the most fun teams. But they got beat even at full strength by Pitt and Louisville. And weren't we losing to Georgetown even before AO went out? Physical teams gave them trouble. Even with AO, Butler could have been a problem given their style of play.

That 2012 team had no real weakness.

Their fans were so salty after that game.

I think the 2010 team was one of the most fun teams. But they got beat even at full strength by Pitt and Louisville. And weren't we losing to Georgetown even before AO went out? Physical teams gave them trouble. Even with AO, Butler could have been a problem given their style of play.

That 2012 team had no real weakness.
Honestly we should have beat Butler even without AO. We tend to use that as too much of an excuse, IMO. We turned the ball over way too much that game.

If I remember correctly we had a 4 point lead late in the game and turned it over on like 3-4 straight possessions.

Last edited:
I for one feel bad for Jim Boeheim. It's frustrating when your boss goes behind your back and directs your subordinates to commit academic fraud on behalf of a college student.

There were other reasons why Fab had no business being on a college campus beyond a stupid paper that he got extra help with.

Honestly we should have beat Butler even without AO. We tend to use that as too much of an excuse, IMO. We turned the ball over way too much that game.

If I remember correctly we had a 4 point lead late in the game and turned it over on like 3-4 straight possessions.

18 turnovers in that game, very costly.

Butler (and, people forget, both getting shipped out West because the East regional was in the Dome and then also getting the short turnaround between the subregional and SLC) was a horrible draw, no doubt.

But even without Onuaku that was a wide-open path to the final game. Kansas State and Xavier went to double-OT in the other game. After that, Michigan State was in the same situation SU was, Kalin Lucas had torn his Achilles or something like that and was out; SU was a lot stronger than they were. And Duke was weak that year.

All SU needed to do was a) not spot Butler an 11-0 lead or b) not slow the tempo when we were opening it up late. That's the kind of game that sticks with a fan for a long time...
Most painful loss ever