Tennis scoring | Syracusefan.com

Tennis scoring

SWC75

Bored Historian
Non-aficionado here.

Why 0-15-30-40-game? Why not 0-1-2-3-4?

Why do you have to win by two? Wouldn't it be more fun to see the players volleying and the winner of that point wins the game and maybe the set and maybe the match?

Back into my hole...

1623614558588.png

Last edited:
Non-aficionado here.

Why do you have to win by two? Wouldn't it be more fun to see the players volleying and the winner of that point wins the game and maybe the set and maybe the match?

View attachment 202188
Why does a baseball umpire call a balk if a pitcher has the slightest of movement while in the stretch?

Non-aficionado here.

View attachment 202188
I have read that the scoring was based on the clock face (and for convenience, 45 was shortened to 40).

Don't know if it's true, but I have read that in more than one place.

I have read that the scoring was based on the clock face (and for convenience, 45 was shortened to 40).

Don't know if it's true, but I have read that in more than one place.

Why is that convenient?

I was thinking the same today when I was watching. Wonder how it was all established.

For those who can't get enough of why tennis is scored as it is:

So:

points - nobody really knows. Maybe it's too many single digit scores with sets and matches.

you have to win by two - doesn't say

love - means you're broke (many can relate)

deuce - two guys are tied

But it doesn't matter - people still like it. Maybe they like that it's 'different'.

So:

points - nobody really knows. Maybe it's too many single digit scores with sets and matches.

you have to win by two - doesn't say

love - means you're broke (many can relate)

deuce - two guys are tied

But it doesn't matter - people still like it. Maybe they like that it's 'different'.
Winning by two is easily explained; the server has a big advantage in tennis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom