Terrific article about next year's team from Mike Waters | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Terrific article about next year's team from Mike Waters

Yeah, as someone else mentioned, Mike's article kind of just touches on what many have thought/said here in various threads. I'm optimistic for sure, but as other's have alluded, I'll proceed with caution for the reasons/variables noted.

Certainly, hope springs eternal. As a Browns fan, I know this all too well. With some of the moves the Browns have made recently, along with their upcoming high draft picks, I've actually heard some NFL talking heads state that the Browns could be a playoff team next season. That sounds premature for sure...as does anything at this stage about being in contention for a national championship.

Yeah, as someone else mentioned, Mike's article kind of just touches on what many have thought/said here in various threads. I'm optimistic for sure, but as other's have alluded, I'll proceed with caution for the reasons/variables noted.

Certainly, hope springs eternal. As a Browns fan, I know this all too well. With some of the moves the Browns have made recently, along with their upcoming high draft picks, I've actually heard some NFL talking heads state that the Browns could be a playoff team next season. That sounds premature for sure...as does anything at this stage about being in contention for a national championship.
Cleveland just needs a QB and a decent coach and they could be a playoff team by next year.

They have talent on the roster. They have just bungled the most important position QB.

Syracuse just needs scoring and we would be a NC contender. The zone has been working in March recently. It's putting the ball in the basket we have struggled at. Michigan-2013, Dayton-2014. Those teams could have won NCs with a better offense.
This year we struggled at an alltime high to score. The game we were eliminated in we actually destroyed the Duke zone and scored 65.

I like Waters but this article is pretty basic. I think I could have written it just as well given the lack of insightful or "insider" info.

I wonder about the Top 25 is almost a given comment...college basketball is never that predictable.
I agree with the first part about the basics. But the top 25 next year is a gimme. If Battle is back we are top 10. If Battle and Brissett both leave then maybe the top 25 will be a stretch early but we could still be a better team with more potential.

It will be VERY interesting to see how JB deals with Buddy in terms of playing time. Obviously, it will mostly depend on how quickly he adapts to the college game, but...

The interesting part will be whether JB plays him more than he actually earns, because it's his son, or less, trying to overcompensate for the fact Buddy's his son. Or, will the coach be able to remain perfectly dispassionate, and treat him just like any other player?

Film at 11.
If Buddy makes shots nobody will care who his dad is or how much PT he is getting. If he doesn't make shots I think even Juli will understand.

I really want people to understand that before Sidibe was hurt, he was our best center.

That's saying a lot because there's nothing wrong with Chukwu, but Sidibe was starting games in the nonconference schedule, was scoring and swatting balls like nobody's business.

His injury hurt this team more than anything else. Not only did it hurt his ability, it set him back in development. What could have been with him healthy

I really want people to understand that before Sidibe was hurt, he was our best center.

That's saying a lot because there's nothing wrong with Chukwu, but Sidibe was starting games in the nonconference schedule, was scoring and swatting balls like nobody's business.

His injury hurt this team more than anything else. Not only did it hurt his ability, it set him back in development. What could have been with him healthy
Sidibe didn't start any games, but he was more or less splitting time with Chukwu early on, and I believe that was JB's plan. He and Chukwu bring different skill sets to the post, and they will make a dynamic combination next season if both are healthy.

Sidibe didn't start any games, but he was more or less splitting time with Chukwu early on, and I believe that was JB's plan. He and Chukwu bring different skill sets to the post, and they will make a dynamic combination next season if both are healthy.

Plenty can change, but PC seems to be the much better defensive presence and BS, the much more naturally gifted offensive player and rebounder. While PC showed he is capable of finishing lobs at the basket, I never expect to toss the ball to him in the post. However, BS seems very, very capable of back to the basket moves. Looking forward to seeing it.

Cleveland just needs a QB and a decent coach and they could be a playoff team by next year.

They have talent on the roster. They have just bungled the most important position QB.

Syracuse just needs scoring and we would be a NC contender. The zone has been working in March recently. It's putting the ball in the basket we have struggled at. Michigan-2013, Dayton-2014. Those teams could have won NCs with a better offense.
This year we struggled at an alltime high to score. The game we were eliminated in we actually destroyed the Duke zone and scored 65.
Agree completely. We had an all time bad scoring team this year, and we still had a shot at the title. My concern is that the opportunity is/has been there for us to grab another title, like Nova, UCONN, etc, and we haven't capitalized. Our system can beat anyone in March, and we have proven to be able to win without even playing our best. These blue bloods are vulnerable because they are stocked with freshman. Our chances have been hurt by sanctions, and reduced rosters. The zone is winning games we already shouldn't. If we had some more scoring we could def take one of these. So tough seeing Nova in a great position to get another ship this year. That is one team that won conference realignment without having to go anywhere. With cuse/Pitt gone and UCONN down/out, they are thriving in the NBE.

Plenty can change, but PC seems to be the much better defensive presence and BS, the much more naturally gifted offensive player and rebounder. While PC showed he is capable of finishing lobs at the basket, I never expect to toss the ball to him in the post. However, BS seems very, very capable of back to the basket moves. Looking forward to seeing it.

I agree about each guy having different strengths. Maybe we can sneak them on and off the court depending on if we're heading to the offensive end or back on defense. I'm sure nobody will notice.

I agree about each guy having different strengths. Maybe we can sneak them on and off the court depending on if we're heading to the offensive end or back on defense. I'm sure nobody will notice.

Health permitting, I expect almost a full time split next year between those 2. Obviously game to game, foul trouble will swing that but overall, both can and will play good minutes. Foul trouble also does not hurt nearly as much when you know you have roughly half the game to use those fouls.

That would be tremendous if we could sub on the fly like hockey. No buzzers to delay in bounding or subs after the first fouls shot. Just "on the go" for offense/defense.

I have heard that Sidibe's injury is quite treatable with surgery. Is anyone able to explain exactly what he is dealing with (tendonitis?), and their confidence he will be close to 100% after surgery and rehab? Pure speculation of course, but a lot of the time, knee injuries especially for big men can be very difficult.

Surgery for tendonitis is extreme. I have it as does my brother. It comes down to pain management and your tolerance. The tendon is likely torn.

That's a really tricky situation to navigate for JB. If the other players sense that Buddy is getting preferential treatment, it's bad for team morale. But then if JB is too harsh on Buddy, it's bad for family morale.
Most coaches are tougher on their kids than they are other players.

Check back in October. It’s too early with this program to judge next year.

Unfortunately this is now the call of the year -- it's as if you knew something this devastating was going to occur. I guess we do seem to take a big hit just about every year as of late.

Unfortunately this is now the call of the year -- it's as if you knew something this devastating was going to occur. I guess we do seem to take a big hit just about every year as of late.

No kidding...

So much for that.