Texas A-M fires Kevin Sumlin / hires Jimbo Fisher | Syracusefan.com

Texas A-M fires Kevin Sumlin / hires Jimbo Fisher

Watch Mark D’Antonio for this job.
I heard from an Aggie buddy they think the Aggies can bring D’Antonio back to his home state of Texas as he has done amazing at Michigan State.

I heard from an Aggie buddy they think the Aggies can bring D’Antonio back to his home state of Texas as he has done amazing at Michigan State.

I read this as D'Antoni at first, thinking you were making a joke about Mike D'Antonio. Ah well.

Top flight coach...

In other news, would Jimbo really ditch Fla. St. for A&M?

His buyout is $38 million. Sumlin's buyout is another $11. So before they pay Jimbo a cent, they will have already spent $49 million. This is obscene. They would still fill that place with 100k rednecks if i were coaching the Aggies. They are already getting major SEC cash. What are they buying? How many underprivileged kids could go for free to aTm for $49 million?

His buyout is $38 million. Sumlin's buyout is another $11. So before they pay Jimbo a cent, they will have already spent $49 million. This is obscene. They would still fill that place with 100k rednecks if i were coaching the Aggies. They are already getting major SEC cash. What are they buying? How many underprivileged kids could go to free at aTm for $49 million?
Mini-tangent - this is precisely why I think paying the players is a horrible idea. It would destroy the education system.

Now, simply allow the players to profit from their own names and likeness on the other hand...

His buyout is $38 million. Sumlin's buyout is another $11. So before they pay Jimbo a cent, they will have already spent $49 million. This is obscene. They would still fill that place with 100k rednecks if i were coaching the Aggies. They are already getting major SEC cash. What are they buying? How many underprivileged kids could go for free to aTm for $49 million?

Based on a cost of attendance of $27.5K, you are talking about roughly 1,782 Texas urchins.

Lololololol. I will literally eat a glass table of D’Antonio leaves.

Mini-tangent - this is precisely why I think paying the players is a horrible idea. It would destroy the education system.

Now, simply allow the players to profit from their own names and likeness on the other hand...

My concern with that is wouldnt it push kids to the top schools if they could make $ off likeness. A kid would be more marketable at duke and uk. It would make the playing field even more uneven then it already is.

I don’t know why people bring up Jimbo Fisher anymore. His buyout is outrageous and he is divorced and very close with his two boys who live in Tallahassee as does his ex wife. His youngest son has some rare blood disease and is no older than 13. Just can’t see him uprooting anytime soon. He’s already very well compensateda and obviously has roots at FSU and Tallahassee.

I think SEC schools just throw his name out there because it lets their fan base know they are thinking big. Then again after this year, Jimbo isn’t looking that great.

Oh Texas A&M how delusional can you be?

Hmmm. Interesting thought. Why haven't you brought this up before? ;)

My concern with that is wouldnt it push kids to the top schools if they could make $ off likeness. A kid would be more marketable at duke and uk. It would make the playing field even more uneven then it already is.
Not necessarily - rosters are only so big.

A player is a lot more marketable starring than sitting the bench.

Sumlin was being offered NFL head coaching interviews 2 years ago and he turned them down. Now he is going to be out of work. Amazing how things work out

Sumlin was being offered NFL head coaching interviews 2 years ago and he turned them down. Now he is going to be out of work. Amazing how things work out

And for good reason most do take off when offered bigger cash...it's a fickle world coaching college football.

Yes. Boosters would make sure of it. If they're willing to pay off Nick Saban's mortgage, imagine how they (and other schooks like Alabama) will figure out how to manipulate that kind of system to pay their players the most and make sure recruits know it.

Not necessarily - rosters are only so big.

A player is a lot more marketable starring than sitting the bench.

Maybe for the more fringe talent thats true but for the top flight talent, that wouldnt matter. I suppose a retort would be, well those kids are already going to duke and uk anyways. My response to that would be, would companies really look to pay the lesser talent anyways? I am not so sure, so i see an advantage for the very top echelon programs which concerns me. That being said, i imagine this is something someone can study and better opine on. I would like to know the impact on competitiveness and my feeling is it wouldnt necessarily benefit syracuse.

My proposed solution is the schollie players should get a piece of the pie, and the money should be put in trust for when the kids turn 25 or something. Part of being in college is being broke. I dont see a lot of good having some of these kids make a ton of money at 18. How to allocate the money and where it should come from (school v ncaa), are more questions. This issue is a pandora’s box.

Last edited:
If you're allowed $ for your likeness, it's that much easier to exploit. Some billionaire says "you come here, every year the whole teams in a commercial" and they get paid x amount of dollars. Still haves and have nots. Only worse.

The *main* problem is that it all can be more fair - but you need an body that can oversee the whole thing and keep competitive balance. The NCAA doesn't have the teeth. But knowing that lots of southern big wigs are tied to a certain party not exactly known for seeking "fairness" over blatant capitalism... I don't see it happening.

Bag men keep the government and the IRS out of it too, lol.

Jimbo leaving Florida State for anywhere but Alabama is laughable.

Florida State can match pretty much anything Texas A&M could offer.

A&M is a great job it’s not close to Florida State.

Yes. Boosters would make sure of it. If they're willing to pay off Nick Saban's mortgage, imagine how they (and other schooks like Alabama) will figure out how to manipulate that kind of system to pay their players the most and make sure recruits know it.
That's a good thing.