Texas A & M is in...so let the fun begin | Syracusefan.com

Texas A & M is in...so let the fun begin

arbitragegls

All Conference
see story from ESPN...now the fun will begin...where does 'Cuse really want to end up in the dance that is about to begin:

The member presidents of the Southeastern Conference unanimously voted to accept Texas A&M Tuesday night as the league's 13th member, but the Aggies' official acceptance has been delayed by the potential threat of legal action.
The SEC's presidents want assurances that no individual Big 12 school will sue for contractual interference over Texas A&M's departure. Baylor has not given that assurance to this point, according to sources.
"We were notified yesterday afternoon that at least one Big 12 institution had withdrawn its previous consent and was considering legal action," University of Florida president and SEC chairman Dr. Bernie Machen said in a statement released Wednesday. "The SEC has stated that to consider an institution for membership, there must be no contractual hindrances to its departure. "
The SEC received written assurance from the Big 12 on Sept. 2 that it was free to accept Texas A&M as a member, Machen said.
Texas A&M had planned a celebration and news conference at the College Station campus for Wednesday but that is now on hold.
Texas A&M has said throughout the process that it was taking methodical steps. The Aggies hope to begin play in the SEC next season and have already sold out season tickets, in part from anticipation of the move.
Texas A&M is interested in making what it considers a bold move to separate itself from Texas while aligning with a conference it believes is a cultural fit and provides high visibility and financial stability. The SEC is interested in adding Texas to its television and recruiting footprint.

A&M ought to sue Baylor for interfering with their right to move to the conference of their choice, subject only to written withdrawal provisions of Big 12.

Is a school obligated to stay in a conference because another member prefers them not to leave?

Wonder what SEC is thinking in allowing Baylor to have the right to veto their expansion.

Baylor is a joke and is really coming off poorly in this whole deal.

Baylor's simply fighting for its life. They are on the verge of losing their seat at the table. All a legal challenge will do is:
1. Possibly delay aTm's move
2. Generate some more temporary BigXII/Baylor revenue
3. Make Baylor look desperate

The Texas legislature isn't looking good either. They've already driven aTm away. Perhaps they should create a Longhorn, I mean "Big Texas Conference" to house the state's schools. Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, SMU, Baylor, Rice, Houston, North Texas, UTSA and UTEP all remain.

[edited to include UTSA - thanks ALL4SU]

Baylor's simply fighting for its life. They are on the verge of losing their seat at the table. All a legal challenge will do is:
1. Possibly delay aTm's move
2. Generate some more temporary BigXII/Baylor revenue
3. Make Baylor look desperate

The Texas legislature isn't looking good either. Theyve already driven aTm away. Perhaps they should create a Longhorn, I mean "Big Texas Conference" to house the state's schools. Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, SMU, Baylor, Rice, Houston, North Texas and UTEP all remain.

You would leave UTSA out? TexanMark would be crushed.

As much as what Baylor is doing is sad and pathetic, I can't really blame them.

The worst case scenario here is that they are basically left for dead. And that worst case scenario has at least a 50% chance of happening if this move goes down.

Baylor has never been anything more than a anchor on the Big 12, but I understand their need to do everything they can to protect what they have.

You would leave UTSA out? TexanMark would be crushed.
Oops... they didn't have a program when I lived in TX.
I'll go update my previous list.

Baylor knows the reality of their future is likely the same of Iowa State and possibly Missouri. They are also extremely aware of what missing the boat does to a program, they just have to look down the street at Houston and SMU.

Baylor knows the reality of their future is likely the same of Iowa State and possibly Missouri. They are also extremely aware of what missing the boat does to a program, they just have to look down the street at Houston and SMU.

I don't see any scenario that leaves Missouri out of this. As odd as it seems, Missouri is one of the linchpins in conference realignment. They are a bottom block in Jenga. They are one of the first dominoes.

They're not really a "linchpin". I'd describe them more of an "easy pick up". Mizzou will jump at the first stable conference to offer them.

It's still possible they end up without a seat when all of the chairs stop moving.

If the SEC were to pursue Mizzou, it would certainly affect the B10's thinking. If the B10 were to pick them up, it almost forces them to think East vs. West.

They're not really a "linchpin". I'd describe them more of an "easy pick up". Mizzou will jump at the first stable conference to offer them.

It's still possible they end up without a seat when all of the chairs stop moving.

Outside of A&M, OU and Texas, Mizzou is the most attractive B12 program. They will have options. Don't lump them in with ISU or Baylor.

mizzou will never, EVER, not have a seat in realignment. the only conf not looking at them right now is the pac

The issue I have with Baylor is they are holding TAMU to a higher standard than they held themselves when they dumped long standing rivalries for a shot at the B12. Now that the shoe is on the other foot they are screaming like brats.

The issue I have with Baylor is they are holding TAMU to a higher standard than they held themselves when they dumped long standing rivalries for a shot at the B12. Now that the shoe is on the other foot they are screaming like brats.

I just read that Baylor is backing down. Not surprising, bad stall technique, nothing to gain.

Maybe what will happen is folks will settle, and UT will take a group of the "have-nots" and tell them, "suck it up, join our conference. Leave our network alone, give us a home, and split your other revenue.

So assuming things like Mizzou et al fall somewhere soft- say Mizzou to the SEC, OU and Okie State to the Pac 14, the Big East and/or ACC have some sort of realignment, Texas could arrange some sort of Lone Star conference, starring Texas, with a supporting cast of Houston, Tulsa, Baylor, Rice, Iowa State, Utah State, Texas Tech, North Texas, Tulane, Memphis State, etc. UT calls all the shots and gives their other sports a home. The other members take the shaft football wise but get a conference to call home and the leftover TV revenue.

Or am I as dumb as my wife thinks I am?

So we're really there now.

Wonder if the ACC will take this opportunity to right their recent wrong of a television contract. They can't be happy that the BE will soon be signing a contract that dwarfs theirs. Nothing like adding 4 new members to get rid of that little mis-step.

The problem with a Texas Conference is that it's hard for me to see how they get AQ BCS status. There has to be at least some veneer of competitiveness, and that kind of lineup just screams "rubber stamp" for Texas's BCS inclusion 9 years out of 10.

The problem with a Texas Conference is that it's hard for me to see how they get AQ BCS status. There has to be at least some veneer of competitiveness, and that kind of lineup just screams "rubber stamp" for Texas's BCS inclusion 9 years out of 10.
I agree, but (A) wasn't the same thing done for Notre Dame? Texas is a big enough player/money maker that I can see it going through. Since the big gun would almost always be your AQ and would bring lots of eyeballs and travel well, I'd think they could pull it off.

Another big problem, I would think, is that is the group of schools that Texas has to play for at least 2/3 of it's schedule. Can't imagine the deep pocketed folks in Texas are going to allow a situation where Texas Tech is your most attractive conference opponent.

I agree, but (A) wasn't the same thing done for Notre Dame? Texas is a big enough player/money maker that I can see it going through. Since the big gun would almost always be your AQ and would bring lots of eyeballs and travel well, I'd think they could pull it off.

The difference is that ND plays Michigan, MSU, USC, Stanford, a Big East or two, and Navy who they can't beat now every year. Texas would almost be signing themselves up for 10+ wins a year if their best competition was Texas Tech and Baylor year in and year out.

They could simply add Boise State.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom