Thamel gives some names | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Thamel gives some names

Why is Chesney in this list? Why would we put the fate of SU football into a Holy Cross coach?
He’s won everywhere, is only 46, has rebuilt programs, has relationships with high school coaches in our six hour radius recruiting window, is supposed to be an excellent X’s and O’s Coach and well liked by players. Pretty, prettty good. That being said on this list I still think he’s my third choice. I think Tony could be the home run here but need a great plan to address the offense.

My guess is Wildhack has his top three and they have been contacted before today. Probably been setting this up since at least the BC game.
I think that is a guarantee, big picture, you do not fire someone prior to game #12 with a bowl game on the line unless you have targeted specific individuals. Keeping in mind the hope is to have a new coach prior to the portal opening back up, as well as hopefully retaining key players. I so wish Marrone was not a rehash, he, however most certainly is. We need a Northeast guy in my opinion with significant Atlantic, Florida connections. I truly think they know that. I am not a Bronco fan.

I mean he’s done some pretty nice work there, why would you put your faith in anyone? I mean would you rather put your faith in Jim Knowles who is the DC at Ohio St? I certainly wouldn’t. Taking a big risk regardless. You were looking for coach prime?
Well, if Bronco Mendenhall is a pipe dream, then I guess we have to move further down the list.

An OC for a BCS series team would be exciting. More exciting than a 4 loss coach from Holy Cross.

But, you have a point. Its all a risk.

I’d love Ryan Grubb the Washington OC, for example but we know that’s not happening.,
Well, if Bronco Mendenhall is a pipe dream, then I guess we have to move further down the list.

An OC for a BCS series team would be exciting. More exciting than a 4 loss coach from Holy Cross.

But, you have a point. It’s all a risk.

He’s won everywhere, is only 46, has rebuilt programs, has relationships with high school coaches in our six hour radius recruiting window, is supposed to be an excellent X’s and O’s Coach and well liked by players. Pretty, prettty good. That being said on this list I still think he’s my third choice. I think Tony could be the home run here but need a great plan to address the offense.
Wait, what does this mean?
He's coached at 'Johns Hopkins' (not lax either), 'Salve Regina?', 'Assumption??', and 'Holy Cross' (finally a name I recognize).

I feel like this is one of the board's insider / payside jokes that I don't understand.

Wait, what does this mean?
He's coached at 'Salva Regina?', 'Assumption??', and 'Holy Cross' (finally a name I recognize).

I feel like this is one of the board's insider / payside jokes that I don't understand.
I just know he’s a very well respected coach.

But, you have a point. Its all a risk.
Yeah I’m not sure Bronco is a pipe dream but I see your point on the HC coach as well. Personally I would like to see Sean Lewis hired. Great offense, HC experience at a rough spot, and spent time at Syracuse so he knows what he’s in store for. I think some of these coaches aren’t quite aware of what the job entails here. Sean and or Tony would be and I think both are good coaches

You might be right about that but I’m a little frustrated by the low ceiling names being tossed out here. Hopefully the AD is making an attempt to contact some bigger names than what I’m seeing. For instance - Lincoln Riley is wearing out his welcome already at USC. Maybe throw that him a big offer. Gotta try
I get the want some people have for a big name, but that’s just not who or where SU is. Fit is more important than flash. For example, Lincoln Riley is struggling to win at USC with Caleb Williams; he will not survive here and has not coached on the east coast let along the NE. Up and coming coordinators with experience in the region and HCs with success at previously unsuccessful programs is what is most likely to work here.

I just know he’s a very well respected coach.
Well, he played BC better than Babers did, so he's got that going for him!

At least, he must be a good coach to have some of the close games he has had against some decent squads with theoretically inferior talent.

Yeah I’m not sure Bronco is a pipe dream but I see your point on the HC coach as well. Personally I would like to see Sean Lewis hired. Great offense, HC experience at a rough spot, and spent time at Syracuse so he knows what he’s in store for. I think some of these coaches aren’t quite aware of what the job entails here. Sean and or Tony would be and I think both are good coaches
Yeah, Sean Lewis interests me as well.
The Buffs put up some numbers, and PRiMEs recent losses have nothing to do with the O, from what I can tell.

I don't think its Lewis. Just based on what people are posting on the board I think it is between White and Chesney and leaning 75% towards White.
I would agree White and Chesney are probably the front runners, but only because Lewis might be headed to a bigger program. I think he would be the best fit of the three. He has Kent State as evidence.

The only reason to leave LA for Syracuse is extradition.

My ’roots’ are in the NE, but you’d have to extradite me to get me to leave LA for Syracuse.
Kelly is pretty much done at UCLA there has been much hand winging there that is may be his last season

The ST sales will plummet if it’s Lewis or White, IMO. Does not inspire confidence.
in my opinion this move would be similar to what Hack did with replacing Jimmy B and John Desko. It is akin to walking down the hallway and talking to Autry and Gait. As much as Lewis understands what he is in for at SU, he is still a retread from the coach you just fired. If possible I would prefer they went outside to find a fresh set of eyes. Dino was that and his first few years were a breath of fresh air.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom