Thamel gives some names | Page 29 | Syracusefan.com

Thamel gives some names

With a vibrating bed. Bring your quarters.
Fail Very Funny GIF by America's Funniest Home Videos

I’m surprised you’re not a little more analytical about him. NY guy immediately takes care of offensive line issues and last three jobs have been OL Falcons, OL Alabama (title) and now OC/OL of 10-1 Texas. Winning record as a head coach lol and actually went .500 in the Big. His resume might actually be better than most names tossed around.

It won't happen but he's a guy that would come in eyes wide open. Great dude too.

I realize that now and I was just busting on the previous poster who was on his 11th hot take. Didn’t mean to cause “the titanic” type hysteria lol
I know. You got me too. I started mother fing my phone like crazy.

If Villari has an even better passing game against Wake than he did at GT, with more downfield throws, and the offense dominates the game, I think Beck should get strong consideration for HC. I think some smart football people can see the advantages running an offense like this gives Syracuse. People want some hotshot OC from a factory, Beck would be a hotshot OC at a factory.

re Flood

What he did with Savage is akin to what we did with DeVito. The OL those years were awful. 2009 they were last in conference sacks allowed per game (for a conservative O, mind you). In 2010 they were also last giving up 2.5 sacks more per game then the next worst team! In 2011 they improved to 6th out of 8. Then in 2012 when he became HC and handed the OC and OL to other coaches, they were 1st!

I'm not advocating for the guy at all, but that was over 10 years ago (and people develop professionally) and you're kind of cherry picking. In 2009 they were 9-4 and he was AHC/OC/OL. He was involved in their best run ever. I don't need a retort about watered down schedules and all that nonsense. I'm more interested in what a coach has done over the recent past (and his recent past is very good.)

To me it's splitting hairs between him and a guy like Al Golden. I'd prefer neither but gun to my head I want the OL fixed.

And I think it's safe to assume as the Texas OC he's pretty involved no? They're 10-1. There is no CO in his title.

Also Herb Hand is the co-OC/OL at Texas

you should maybe do some fact checking. Herb Hand is not even at Texas.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm in total agreement with you. He's not an advertisement for rank and file big program coordinator. Just saying he turned around a BC season that was looking like it may win 1 or 2 games. To that he's better than Dino
Eh - I’d hold off on that until he gets to 10 wins in a season or knocks off a #2 ranked team. Neither are guys I’d want long term.

I'm not advocating for the guy at all, but that was over 10 years ago (and people develop professionally) and you're kind of cherry picking. In 2009 they were 9-4 and he was AHC/OC/OL. He was involved in their best run ever. I don't need a retort about watered down schedules and all that nonsense. I'm more interested in what a coach has done over the recent past.

To me it's splitting hairs between him and a guy like Al Golden. I'd prefer neither but gun to my head I want the OL fixed.

And I think it's safe to assume as the Texas OC he's pretty involved no? They're 10-1. There is no CO in his title.

you should maybe do some fact checking. Herb Hand is not even at Texas.

I think his failures at RU as OL coach and HC have more in common with the situation he would be in here at SU and less in common with his time at Texas. Yes, Texas is more recent but it is easier to coach that talent.

Doesn't Sark call the plays?

You cannot win in college football with a good D and just try to figure out the O.

Off the top of my head NC State has needed to go to there 3rd Q the last two seasons. Stanford this year as well. VA Tech to their 2nd. Yet all of these teams were still functional on O. The fact that the last two seasons when Shrader got an owie the entire O broke is a major red flag on Beck. We have what 100 yards passing the last 3 games combined? The fact that we cannot throw a forward pass when our starter gets hurt is a reason to dumb the bath water.

You don't hire from within when you have a dysfunctional O and a losing culture. And you still have answered why would we expect White to improve on Dino's inefficiencies when White has no record of fixing any of those issues?

Edit

I am not saying I am opposed to White as HC. But if you hire him, a big reason is his DC skills. If he delegates that, then you take away that advantage. He should be HC/DC. I don't want Long as DC, who IMO was mediocre at best this year. The O is a complete mess. It doesn't get fixed keeping status quo. If White is hired, then everyone but Nunzio should be let go.

Just swapping out the head and keeping everything else should be unacceptable. That does nothing to address the real issues. Also JW is not some FB guru who can go on gut feeling, there needs to be some analytical reason he chooses a new HC. And he cannot just go on who he knows when that pool is extremely limited. It would be completely irresponsible.
All fair takes - especially on Beck. But the whole point I've been trying to make is that there may be reasons why ADJW is high on White and I've just been speculating on what those reasons might be. Of course at the end of the day, only Wildhack knows what direction he's ultimately going to go.

But I push back on the notion that hiring White and potentially keeping Beck on as OC - theoretically - is "swapping out the head and keeping everything else".

If JW really were to hire TW (and also keep Beck), it would only be because after weighing all his options, JW will have decided that White offers the best path for success moving forward. A big part of that calculation would obviously be bc he believes in TW and that belief would have likely resulted from his extended interaction and observations of White when he was here. Ditto for Beck.

But that obviously also means that JW has had extended interaction and years of observation of Dino Babers as well. And maybe JW just feels - based on all the observation and personal interaction - that the differences btwn the two coaches are vast and significant enough, that replacing Dino with White will indeed have an overall net positive effect on the program - while also keeping an element of the Babers tenure that JW (conceivably) likes in the 3-3-5 defense.

Imho, decisions of this magnitude aren't made solely on "gut feelings" and I seriously doubt that ADJW will be selecting the next coach solely using his gut. Whatever decision he makes, will be well thought out, heavily researched, vetted and bounced off trusted knowledgeable confidants inside college & pro football - as it will likely be the most important decision he'll ever make in his tenure as AD at SU.

So I trust that whatever decision AD Wildhack ultimately makes, will be made with the sole agenda of moving the program forward and building a sustainable winning culture at Syracuse. If he decides to hire or keep what he perceives as talented, winning coaches from the previous staff - due to the importance and magnitude of the decision, I think you would have to give ADJW the benefit of the doubt and just see how it all plays out. I have no idea what he's ultimately going to do, but when it comes to the appeal Tony White may have to JW, I totally get it and think that it may prove to be a wise move if he hires him. But we'll see, stay tuned.

I think his failures at RU as OL coach and HC have more in common with the situation he would be in here at SU and less in common with his time at Texas. Yes, Texas is more recent but it is easier to coach that talent.

Doesn't Sark call the plays?

Idk if Sark calls the plays but the Texas bio sure seems to give Flood all the credit.

Your talk about his failures as the RU OL Coach is subjective without the numbers. At the end of the day he either gets some credit for their win loss record at the time or he doesn't. This was his first go with a P5 team and it was over a decade ago. Saban hired him to coach OL - he must like the guy as a teacher - and then Sark hired him away to be OC.

From the Texas bio -

Before becoming the head coach at Rutgers, Flood spent seven years (2005-11) on head coach Greg Schiano’s staff. He oversaw the offensive line all seven years while adding run game coordinator to his duties in 2007, assistant head coach in 2008 and co-offensive coordinator in 2010.

During his time at Rutgers, the offensive line consistently produced top-level talent, including several players who went on to the NFL. All-American Anthony Davis became the highest player ever drafted in Rutgers history as the 11th overall pick of the 2010 NFL Draft. Darnell Stapleton started in Super Bowl XLIII for the victorious Pittsburgh Steelers. Jeremy Zuttah started 117 games over nine seasons in the NFL after playing for Flood.

He's not the guy I want, but I'll argue he's a good football coach and his successes outweigh his failures. He'd recruit well. The only thing I don't know is if he can build a program.

For the record, I want an offensive guy who can put an electric offense on the carpet. The smoke seems to be building for Chesney but I have no idea what kind of offense he runs or if he can recruit the athletes needed to play in the ACC.

Last edited:
All fair takes - especially on Beck. But the whole point I've been trying to make is that there may be reasons why ADJW is high on White and I've just been speculating on what those reasons might be. Of course at the end of the day, only Wildhack knows what direction he's ultimately going to go.

But I push back on the notion that hiring White and potentially keeping Beck on as OC - theoretically - is "swapping out the head and keeping everything else".

If JW really were to hire TW (and also keep Beck), it would only be because after weighing all his options, JW will have decided that White offers the best path for success moving forward. A big part of that calculation would obviously be bc he believes in TW and that belief would have likely resulted from his extended interaction and observations of White when he was here. Ditto for Beck.

But that obviously also means that JW has had extended interaction and years of observation of Dino Babers as well. And maybe JW just feels - based on all the observation and personal interaction - that the differences btwn the two coaches are vast and significant enough, that replacing Dino with White will indeed have an overall net positive effect on the program - while also keeping an element of the Babers tenure that JW (conceivably) likes in the 3-3-5 defense.

Imho, decisions of this magnitude aren't made solely on "gut feelings" and I seriously doubt that ADJW will be selecting the next coach solely using his gut. Whatever decision he makes, will be well thought out, heavily researched, vetted and bounced off trusted knowledgeable confidants inside college & pro football - as it will likely be the most important decision he'll ever make in his tenure as AD at SU.

So I trust that whatever decision AD Wildhack ultimately makes, will be made with the sole agenda of moving the program forward and building a sustainable winning culture at Syracuse. If he decides to hire or keep what he perceives as talented, winning coaches from the previous staff - due to the importance and magnitude of the decision, I think you would have to give ADJW the benefit of the doubt and just see how it all plays out. I have no idea what he's ultimately going to do, but when it comes to the appeal Tony White may have to JW, I totally get it and think that it may prove to be a wise move if he hires him. But we'll see, stay tuned.

Not that either of these are options, but if they were...

I'd take Lewis as HC retaining Long over White as HC retaining Beck. More experience all around.

Although if White did get the job, and Rocky was willing to stay on and help him, I can't imagine he wouldn't retain him.

For a place like Syracuse the next HC needs to be, first and foremost, someone who’s a good gameday coach. We cannot afford to coach ourselves out of wins.

Realistically we will never recruit at a top 1/3 level in the ACC so we will typically be at a talent disadvantage. We need someone who can put lesser players in positions to succeed and devise good game plans to compensate for lesser talent. Who can be Syracuse football’s version of Matt Langel?

Hopefully Wildhack understands what’s realistic at Syracuse in the modern CFB landscape and is honing in on who is the best at controlling what is controllable.. like knowing how to use timeouts lol

I know this is unlikely but how awesome would it be if Wildhack announced the new hire at the upcoming (11am) press conference?

If Villari has an even better passing game against Wake than he did at GT, with more downfield throws, and the offense dominates the game, I think Beck should get strong consideration for HC. I think some smart football people can see the advantages running an offense like this gives Syracuse. People want some hotshot OC from a factory, Beck would be a hotshot OC at a factory.
2 years, no other QBs, and a terrible offense against P5 opponents. He has no business being in the discussion.

I'm for Beck and this new offense he innovated on the fly.

What has White done to prove he can fix Dino's issues?

And IMO he is far off.
Nothing. Yet.

But if TW ends up being ADJW's choice, then obviously he's seen enough of TW the man & the coach to believe he has the chops needed to fix the issues.

As another poster said, Babers wasn't "that far off" so to speak - and I agree. So many close games were lost simply due to Dino's poor in-game decision making. You hire the next guy bc you believe he will be better than the last guy, so IF JW hires TW, it will be bc he considers him an upgrade over DB - and the expectation would therefore be that White will be able to clean up many of the lingering issues from the Babers era.

Idk if Sark calls the plays but the Texas bio sure seems to give Flood all the credit.

Your talk about his failures as the RU OL Coach is subjective without the numbers. At the end of the day he either gets some credit for their win loss record at the time or he doesn't. This was his first go with a P5 team and it was over a decade ago. Saban hired him to coach OL - he must like the guy as a teacher - and then Sark hired him away to be OC.

From the Texas bio -

Before becoming the head coach at Rutgers, Flood spent seven years (2005-11) on head coach Greg Schiano’s staff. He oversaw the offensive line all seven years while adding run game coordinator to his duties in 2007, assistant head coach in 2008 and co-offensive coordinator in 2010.

During his time at Rutgers, the offensive line consistently produced top-level talent, including several players who went on to the NFL. All-American Anthony Davis became the highest player ever drafted in Rutgers history as the 11th overall pick of the 2010 NFL Draft. Darnell Stapleton started in Super Bowl XLIII for the victorious Pittsburgh Steelers. Jeremy Zuttah started 117 games over nine seasons in the NFL after playing for Flood.

He's not the guy I want, but I'll argue he's a good football coach and his successes outweigh his failures. He'd recruit well. The only thing I don't know is if he can build a program.

For the record, I want an offensive guy who can put an electric offense on the carpet. The smoke seems to be building for Chesney but I have no idea what kind of offense he runs or if he can recruit the athletes needed to play in the ACC.

I provided the sack numbers. Their pass blocking was awful. He wasn't RU HC so why does he get credit for Ws? He DeVito'd Savage. If you want to put more weight into his Texas time, cool. But you cannot ignore the Rutgers stuff.

If a new coach wanted to keep Beck as OC/QB then we would need a really good OL hire (Addazio please).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom