Thank god for crappy ESPN3 cameras... | Syracusefan.com

Thank god for crappy ESPN3 cameras...

44PRIDE

All Conference
...because this stuff was incomplete!

9959371-standard.jpg

At least in the NFL, (as I understand it) the ball can touch the ground as long as you have control of it at the time.

Sorry, but
...because this stuff was incomplete!

9959371-standard.jpg

Sorry, but I don't see it touching the ground. I also see the official's legs about 5 feet away with an unobstructed view of the ball, the hands, and the ground. I'll go with his call

Sorry, but

Sorry, but I don't see it touching the ground. I also see the official's legs about 5 feet away with an unobstructed view of the ball, the hands, and the ground. I'll go with his call
The closest official (who's in the photo) was backpedaling at the critical moment, I assume to get a better view of the sideline (maybe the pylon was obstructing his view). But to his credit, he never took his eyes off the play in front of him.

The next closest official was in the back of the endzone and his view was completely blocked by an SU player (# 80 or 85, I forget).

Whether he caught it or not, I think Chew sold the play well, holding up the ball cradled in his hand/wrist, just as he caught it.

The call on the field could have gone either way, but the replays were obviously not conclusive enough to overturn the call.

It's worth remembering that the pass in question came on 2nd and goal from the 4. Even if it was ruled incomplete, we had another shot at the endzone, and at worst, a short FG attempt.

That shot is money. There is no way the nose of that ball doesn't hit the ground.

That shot is money. There is no way the nose of that ball doesn't hit the ground.
Just a question. Being far from a football expert I have to ask. What does whether the nose of the ball touching the ground, have anything to do with whether a pass is ruled complete or incomplete? Just asking because I never knew there was a rule about the nose of the ball. I thought it was all about possession and control? If it's ruled the player has control of the ball and is inbounds with at least one foot - it's complete if not it's ruled incomplete.

On another note, I rewatched Bailey's touchdown run (to make it 27) and Chandler Jones is the first guy in the end zone celebrating with him... Would that have been a celebration penalty? Could have killed the 2 pointer.

Just a question. Being far from a football expert I have to ask. What does whether the nose of the ball touching the ground, have anything to do with whether a pass is ruled complete or incomplete? Just asking because I never knew there was a rule about the nose of the ball. I thought it was all about possession and control? If it's ruled the player has control of the ball and is inbounds with at least one foot - it's complete if not it's ruled incomplete.
it is trapping you cannot use the ground to help the catch

Just watched the game again. Before this, I only saw this play live and through these photos. If the officials were really using the ESPN3 feed, they couldn't overturn the play based on that bad video. The cameras simply didn't catch the play.

But these photos show that Chew trapped the ball and rolled over it.

Moral of the story? We should hope for more ESPN3 broadcasts!

Does anyone know what conference the officials were from? I thought they did a pretty good job aside from the first personal foul called on 'Cuse being bogus. All the replay review upheld the tough calls so they couldn't have been too bad.

They do not show he trapped it. A trap is by definition a catch of the bounce. He got the ball cleanly and while it was in the air. His left hand is UN DER the football. By the rule, the ball actually CAN touch the ground there as he rolls over on it and still be a catch.

Moot point, but the wake guy saying it is was a trap is just plain wrong. It was a tremendous catch

Just watched the game again. Before this, I only saw this play live and through these photos. If the officials were really using the ESPN3 feed, they couldn't overturn the play based on that bad video. The cameras simply didn't catch the play.

But these photos show that Chew trapped the ball and rolled over it.

Moral of the story? We should hope for more ESPN3 broadcasts!

I see the ball cradled between his hand and right forearm with his left hand about to move under the ball. Clean catch, great call.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom