Thank you Syracuse Basketball | Syracusefan.com

Thank you Syracuse Basketball

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
Today I'm on my walk down the hall when I hear, "Hey, hey, hey!"

I turn around and standing there with big beaming smiles are four members of the Syracuse University basketball team along with Coach Hop & team manager Katie.

BJ Johnson, Tyler Roberson, DeJuan Coleman & Rakeem Christmas.

We watched the SU-Loyola OT woman's game together.

Hop told the guys about me and how I used to attend practices for years. He handed me a signed team poster.

Hop said he's coming back with another player soon.

Mike also made some nice invitations to me.

Did I die & go to heaven?

Again thanks Mike & SU for being so kind.

Hey dan, here's a big hello from my little orange family! We miss ya, and will see ya in September!

image-1579405340.jpg

Last edited:
Orangeyes said:
Today I'm on my walk down the hall when I hear, "Hey, hey, hey!" I turn around and standing there with big beaming smiles are four members of the Syracuse University basketball team along with Coach Hop & team manager Katie. BJ Johnson, Tyler Roberson, DeJuan Coleman & Rakeem Christmas. We watched the SU-Loyola OT woman's game together. Hop told the guys about me and how I used to attend practices for years. He handed me a signed team poster. Hop said he's coming back with another player soon. Mike also made some nice invitations to me. Did I die & go to heaven? Again thanks Mike & SU for being so kind.

Cuse takes care of their own!

#hardnosed
#cusecares
#hopismyhoopsguru
#goorangeyesgo!

I turn around and standing there with big beaming smiles are four members of the Syracuse University basketball team along with Coach Hop & team manager Katie.

Hop told the guys about me and how I used to attend practices for years. He handed me a signed team poster.

No you didn't die and won't for at least another 40 years. Right after Hop retires after his 4th NC. Happy belated birthday.

The back story: I was in Our Lady of Peace Church in Stratford, CT, this morning for the First Holy Communion of a friend's daughter. Suddenly my phone starts incessantly vibrating. I take a surreptitious look at it and see that it was Mike Hopkins . I am really anxious to call him back because I am wondering why he was calling (Is he leaving SU? Is he asking my advice about a job?) But I am in the middle of a crowded second row at a very crowded church during a religious ceremony. As soon as the service ends, I excuse myself to my friends and run out to the parking lot to return the call.

When Mike answers his phone, he finds it somewhat amusing that I could not answer his call because I had been in church... but then he asks what room Dan is in... because he wants to visit him again with some players. Knowing Dan had had a recent stay in the ICU, I had no idea what his new room number was, so I told Mike I would call him right back. Then I call Tomcat, praying (yes praying, remember I was in church) that he was not on a golf course with his phone turned off. Tom answers his phone.. and gives me Dan's room number... which I relay to Mike when I call him back.

An hour later, I am having lunch at my friends' home following the Communion ceremony, and my phone rings. It is Mike again. "Hey, Joyce, I am here in room 5014, but the woman here is a bit confused because it is the wrong room." I reply: "Mike, I think I told you it was room 5041." Says Mike: "Okay, thanks."

Since I didn't hear back from Mike, I assumed he had found Dan. And Dan's post here confirms that he did!

Last edited:
Today my granddaughter, OO's daughter Isabella, was involved in her First Holy Communion at 12:30.

I was sad that I missing it.

The visit from the folks at SU lifted my spirits.

I was especially happy that I could congratulate Rakeem on his tremendous academic achievement.

So the good news in this is of course that Dan had an exciting day and his spirits lifted which will help in his recovery.
The 2nd part of the good news is that we can count on Joyce to give Mike good advice in his career, which hopefully would lean towards a stay at SU if it were an issue.
On an even more serious note, we all know that Joyce initiated an initial visit with Mike to Dan. But how nice is it that Mike did what he did today? What a real mensch (Yiddish work you can all look up if you do not know the meaning!)

I got goosebumps reading that. Thanks for sharing. Get better.