That 1987 SU team, man oh man oh man | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

That 1987 SU team, man oh man oh man

I'm talking about us being good enough, healthy enough, and in a position to actually win the NCAAT.

That never happened with any of the teams you mentioned. We had never put it all together before like the 1987 squad.

The teams I mentioned could have won it all. Every year there are teams that are as good as the national champions or close enough to have beaten them even if they were playing well. Not being healthy at a key time doesn't mean they weren't a powerhouse team.

Musburger mentioned something about Rony learned basketball when he went to prep school in Massachusetts for a couple years before he went back overseas. I can't believe I never knew that.

The teams I mentioned could have won it all. Every year there are teams that are as good as the national champions or close enough to have beaten them even if they were playing well. Not being healthy at a key time doesn't mean they weren't a powerhouse team.

I don't disagree. The teams you mentioned were very good. All I'm saying is that the 1987 team, when they beat Carolina to get to the Final Four, was the first time all the stars aligned to actually and legitimately put them in a position to win it all, within reach. They didn't need to win 10 straight games, they didn't need to pull off a few upsets, they didn't need to win four or six straight coin flips. Two games away against teams they would have beaten 9 times out of 10, because they were clearly and obviously better. The 1987 team in the NCAA's was, during that tournament, head and shoulders better than any other team we had up to that time. It had a completely different feeling, IMHO, than any other team we had until then. Peace.

I don't disagree. The teams you mentioned were very good. All I'm saying is that the 1987 team, when they beat Carolina to get to the Final Four, was the first time all the stars aligned to actually and legitimately put them in a position to win it all, within reach. They didn't need to win 10 straight games, they didn't need to pull off a few upsets, they didn't need to win four or six straight coin flips. Two games away against teams they would have beaten 9 times out of 10, because they were clearly and obviously better. The 1987 team in the NCAA's was, during that tournament, head and shoulders better than any other team we had up to that time. It had a completely different feeling, IMHO, than any other team we had until then. Peace.

It was certainly the first time we made it to the Final Four with an expectation that we could win the whole thing. In San Diego in 1975 we were just glad to be there, like someone from the sticks seeing New York City skyscrapers for the first time.

That should have been our first national champion. :(

Lost to Pitt twice and G'Town Twice,Stevie Thompson at the end ot the half was a Big Lift with his putback of the missed Free Throws, and they were a awfull FT shooting team

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom