That didn't take long: NCAA investigating Nerlens Noel | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

That didn't take long: NCAA investigating Nerlens Noel

Dave is correct. The NCAA randomly picks out some of the higher profile recruits every year and conducts interviews/investigation with them. It's standard operating procedure. That the NCAA is interviewing Noel really isn't uncommon.

Although Dave says 6-8, I've heard it's a bit more than that. Based on the people I know that have been interviewed, I'd guess it's closer to a couple of dozen.

it is what it is.. im basing my opinion on information from a conversation with the family member of a kid in a similar situation to noel who was given a particular pitch by the uk staff. i dont see the comparison of boeheim using the olympic piece as comparable to cals nba connections. if cal was getting one top 50 recruit vs 6 .. i can see where ineligibility is a risk.. but if he is selling the nba.. what risk is it if he brings in a kid and the kids past makes him ineligible? does uk axe him for that? i have witnessed first hand how this type of front end benevolence is much more about feeding connections than helping the kids.

there are a preponderance of people who feel cal is just another good coach who uses the system, outside of being caught red handed nothing seems to move those folks to a different opinion. given what you know how many of you would buy into cal as the shephard for your kid to the pros if that was the situation? look at it for what it is for a second.. is telling a kid its ok to connect yourself with a handler who might ruin you someday an ok approach ? i get that recruiting has its deep dark holes.. and its more than just cal.

what i struggle with is how this isnt bad for college hoops altogether.. and how uk can even be considered a collegiate institution for hoops with the farm team approach? how is saying its ok to be irresponsible and affiliate yourself with the wrong crowd because uk has the connections whether you are eligible or not.. i just dont see how its not worth calling out and seeing cal for what he is.. a slimy businessman coaching hoops.. all i can say is i am glad to be a cuse alum and wouldnt let any family member of mine fall for cals bs sales pitch..

Question his finances lmao. And i got attacked and people questioned my sources when i said money was involved with his recruitment. Eat crow to those who talk out their as ses with no facts to question me.

Albany, let me preface this by saying I in no way, shape or form doubt what you were saying on Noel. I have absolutely no insight on him and hinting or outright alleging impropriety does not seem far-fetched.

That said, don't you think it's a bit too early to start castigating people for being skeptical?

Think about this:

You hear there may have been impropriety.

You perpetuate this publicly by saying so.

It gets a buzz going as more people start talking about the rumors.

The NCAA hears the rumors and investigates.

Now you're feeling vindicated because the NCAA is looking into rumors that you and others helped create a buzz about. Isn't that kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy? Shouldn't you wait until/unless there is evidence there is any truth to the rumors before you criticize others for doubting you? This doesn't prove anything except there were rumors that something may have happened.

Again, let me emphasize, this doesn't at all have anything to do with the veracity of the information. I just don't how this news this should vindicate anyone.

Albany, let me preface this by saying I in no way, shape or form doubt what you were saying on Noel. I have absolutely no insight on him and hinting or outright alleging impropriety does not seem far-fetched.

That said, don't you think it's a bit too early to start castigating people for being skeptical?

Think about this:

Now you're feeling vindicated because the NCAA is looking into rumors that you and others helped create a buzz about. Isn't that kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy? Shouldn't you wait until/unless there is evidence there is any truth to the rumors before you criticize others for doubting you? This doesn't prove anything except there were rumors that something may have happened.

Again, let me emphasize, this doesn't at all have anything to do with the veracity of the information. I just don't how this news this should vindicate anyone.
I hear what youre saying buddy and i kind of agree but i know what went down and fully trust the person that told me. Ill let people have their takes on the subject without further discussion.

Think about this:

you make a valid point should a story have not been released.. at this juncture with an article out there.. actually multiple articles it is not out of line .. there is a train of thought to follow discussing information vs rampant speculation.

I hear what youre saying buddy and i kind of agree but i know what went down and fully trust the person that told me. Ill let people have their takes on the subject without further discussion.

It's all good, no harm no foul.

I believe you in regards to Noel. It seemed to me there was a lot of smoke, and I've been around the block enough to know that smoke in recruiting usually signals some kind of fire. Just stick to your guns and that's all you need to do.

PayPalCal plays the recruiting game better than anyone, always has.
At UMass & Memphis, he pushed the envelope and got caught. At UK he's perfected his methods to a science.
That's not to say everyone doesn't do it, but no one is as blatant and successful at it than Cal.
Its like the Pitt theory of playing defense; If we keep on fouling you, how many are you gonna call?
Cal pushes recruiting to its very limits, and a suspension here or an investigation there is worth it if it gets the job done.

Question his finances lmao. And i got attacked and people questioned my sources when i said money was involved with his recruitment. Eat crow to those who talk out their as ses with no facts to question me.

LOL. A wee bit self-important, maybe?

Shocker that Kentucky might have done something. Thamel reported on it questions around the kid, Calipari has left programs that have gotten penalties...at the very least the NCAA has to feign interest. Will be interesting if anything is uncovered and acted upon in a meaningful manner.

Happy grandstanding.

what risk is it if he brings in a kid and the kids past makes him ineligible?

The risk that you lose one of your best players? If Davis was ruled ineligible in the middle of last year, that's not a risk?

I mean hey, Cal relies on freshmen more than any coach in the country. He needs them to be eligible more than any other coach in the country.

I just don't see how Cal using any possible NBA connections is somehow a bad thing. If you're a finance student you're going to try and go to the college that would give you the best chance of getting a job in finance, or as an actor, or whatever it is. If you want to be a basketball player why wouldn't you be interested in playing for a coach who may be more likely to get you a job in the NBA, or maybe somewhere in Europe or something.

LOL. A wee bit self-important, maybe?

Shocker that Kentucky might have done something. Thamel reported on it questions around the kid, Calipari has left programs that have gotten penalties...at the very least the NCAA has to feign interest. Will be interesting if anything is uncovered and acted upon in a meaningful manner.

Happy grandstanding.
Friend i missed you. Im standing on my pedestal, and im above noone.

All it takes is one good kid with a clean conscience who is a bad liar.

The risk that you lose one of your best players? If Davis was ruled ineligible in the middle of last year, that's not a risk?

I mean hey, Cal relies on freshmen more than any coach in the country. He needs them to be eligible more than any other coach in the country.

I just don't see how Cal using any possible NBA connections is somehow a bad thing. If you're a finance student you're going to try and go to the college that would give you the best chance of getting a job in finance, or as an actor, or whatever it is. If you want to be a basketball player why wouldn't you be interested in playing for a coach who may be more likely to get you a job in the NBA, or maybe somewhere in Europe or something.

if your a finance student.. you dont usually know for sure your freshman year.. i get that some feel cal is harmless .. i disagree with it but i get it.

i think your missing my point a bit. from a pure basketball perspective its a risk.. but what i am referencing is the institution.. a player is not an institution.. recruiting and selling the nba to every single top 25 player and using situations like noels to sell the player the thought of a theoretical no lose situation is low risk recruiting.. cal still can network with the best and feed them to the agents he has connections with. he is not like a jb, its not all about the university.. if he leaves tomorrow he has 20 suitors waiting to hand him a job and a fat paycheck.. the recruiting methods are a risk to uk... but cal is not uk.. cal is just cal inc. thats why i say its no risk recruiting.. and why its an ugly proposition.. i dont get the respect for cal.. makes no sense.. but opinions are everywhere and thats just mine.

All it takes is one good kid with a clean conscience who is a bad liar.
Either play the game; or get played.

Kids talk; kids on the AAU circuit are close; obviously it's not a mystery how crooked AAU has become. Like I said earlier (and you said), all it takes is 1 person to talk and a whole program could be ruined.

if your a finance student.. you dont usually know for sure your freshman year.. i get that some feel cal is harmless .. i disagree with it but i get it.

i think your missing my point a bit. from a pure basketball perspective its a risk.. but what i am referencing is the institution.. a player is not an institution.. recruiting and selling the nba to every single top 25 player and using situations like noels to sell the player the thought of a theoretical no lose situation is low risk recruiting.. cal still can network with the best and feed them to the agents he has connections with. he is not like a jb, its not all about the university.. if he leaves tomorrow he has 20 suitors waiting to hand him a job and a fat paycheck.. the recruiting methods are a risk to uk... but cal is not uk.. cal is just cal inc. thats why i say its no risk recruiting.. and why its an ugly proposition.. i dont get the respect for cal.. makes no sense.. but opinions are everywhere and thats just mine.

Ok, I think I follow you now.

The main thing I was responding to was I just didn't think him necessarily using any connections to the NBA to help recruit players is a bad thing. I see where you are going with Cal doesn't necessarily care about the school; if anything gets bad he'll just leave and have a job offer from somewhere else.

Ok, I think I follow you now.

The main thing I was responding to was I just didn't think him necessarily using any connections to the NBA to help recruit players is a bad thing. I see where you are going with Cal doesn't necessarily care about the school; if anything gets bad he'll just leave and have a job offer from somewhere else.

it only took me 8 posts to say it correctly so i appreciate the patience haha.. chalk that up to the culmination of another frustrating knicks season.. i agree with you that nba connections arent bad for recruiting and in many ways critical.. i should have clarified i was separating that from cal himself

Nerlens Noel Says NCAA Hasn’t Contacted Him and He’s In ‘Great Position to Qualify’

Speaking for the first time since The New York Times reported earlier this week that the NCAA was looking into his background, Kentucky signeeNerlens Noel said the NCAA hasn’t contacted him or his mother directly and that he’s in “great position to qualify.”
“No, the NCAA hasn’t contacted me or my mom directly,” the 6-foot-10 Noel, the projected No. 1 pick in the 2013 NBA Draft, said Thursday night by phone.
--------------
“I don’t want to be too specific, but I’m in a good position to qualify,” Noel said in response to the story.
“There’s not really much I have to do to not qualify. I’m mean, in a great position right now, there’s nothing really wrong with the situation.”
As for the specifics of his academics situation, Noel said: ”This is my fourth year of high school. Because I’m supposed to have four English’s and two of them are the same from when I switched schools, I was put in another sophomore English by Tilton school so I just have to take care of that.”
Noel said the process of reclassifying was not that big of a hurdle for him.
“There weren’t any hurdles,” he said. “It was like not even a month period, it was about three weeks. They just had to bring it past certain departments of the school to see if I was eligible for it, and I was. There was a couple of requirements I had to meet, which I’ve already met. And it wasn’t nothing too difficult at all.”

Nerlens Noel Says NCAA Hasn’t Contacted Him and He’s In ‘Great Position to Qualify’

Speaking for the first time since The New York Times reported earlier this week that the NCAA was looking into his background, Kentucky signeeNerlens Noel said the NCAA hasn’t contacted him or his mother directly and that he’s in “great position to qualify.”
“No, the NCAA hasn’t contacted me or my mom directly,” the 6-foot-10 Noel, the projected No. 1 pick in the 2013 NBA Draft, said Thursday night by phone.
--------------
“I don’t want to be too specific, but I’m in a good position to qualify,” Noel said in response to the story.
“There’s not really much I have to do to not qualify. I’m mean, in a great position right now, there’s nothing really wrong with the situation.”
As for the specifics of his academics situation, Noel said: ”This is my fourth year of high school. Because I’m supposed to have four English’s and two of them are the same from when I switched schools, I was put in another sophomore English by Tilton school so I just have to take care of that.”
Noel said the process of reclassifying was not that big of a hurdle for him.
“There weren’t any hurdles,” he said. “It was like not even a month period, it was about three weeks. They just had to bring it past certain departments of the school to see if I was eligible for it, and I was. There was a couple of requirements I had to meet, which I’ve already met. And it wasn’t nothing too difficult at all.”

I'd say he's mastered English. :rolleyes: