That felt like a first round NCAA game | Syracusefan.com

That felt like a first round NCAA game

That felt like a Big East game.

It also looks like the refs have swallowed their whistles now that conference play has started. All that talk about getting strict on the hand-checking seems to have been put aside for this game.

Thank God we don't play against a lot of zone teams. Funny thing was, I never felt like we were going to lose.

When we were down 29-35 about the 12 minute mark in the 2nd half and had only scored 4 points in that half, was the first time since St. Francis that I was worried we might actually lose. When we cut it to 33-35, I no longer had any doubt we would win. Miami had lost their mojo by that time and I knew we would pull out a close one.

Cheers,
Neil

That felt like a Big East game.

It also looks like the refs have swallowed their whistles now that conference play has started. All that talk about getting strict on the hand-checking seems to have been put aside for this game.

6 of our 11 fouls were the foul them to disrupt their offense since we won't put them on the line variety, the last 3 of both the first and second half.

Cheers,
Neil

One thing is for sure is that it should be obvious that we need to use the big men more to open things up. Rak might not be AO or RJ down there but he can give us production and as soon as that happened Miami kept a closer eye on him and tyler got driving lanes.

I'd like to see Ennis push a bit more in transition. Sometimes you just have to slash and jump, at least to keep the defense honest.

Yep. One of the reasons why all the commentators say that he plays so under control is because he's not always looking for the first opportunity to push it down the floor for an easy bucket. In that way, he's not like most of the points we've had here. When you're always looking for a run-out, there's bound to be more turnovers. We saw him push it more the last time out vs. EMU and because of that he had a couple of uncharacteristic mistakes but overall, I prefer the run-and-gun style. The Ennis way works but you wind up playing some games closer than you would normally because you really have to work for your points out of the half-court offense. On the flipside, if he wasn't so steady, maybe we lose a couple we held onto this year because we're not turning it over for easy run-outs the other way.

Today's game wasn't on Ennis so much as it was stagnant offensive sets. I think sitting back for 30-plus seconds on d waiting for the opponent to do something can have an effect on the other end too. Too many possessions on O with no movement, no cutting, and lots of standing around watching each other try to break down their man off the dribble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom