That Power Run/Tight End Offense Sure Does Suck | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

That Power Run/Tight End Offense Sure Does Suck

edit: nm, already answered

Is what I said really that hard to understand?

Great talent is the MOST important thing.

Great scheme is the SECOND most important thing.

Your coach could be the zombie lovechild of Lombardi, Noll, Stramm, Parcells, Walsh, Belichick and Saban and he/she still wouldn't be able to get SU to the title game with our level of talent.

*edit* Didn't meant to sound snarky. Just didn't think what I said was all that controversial.

The original poster is advocating for us to model our O after tOSU. Like THAT is what's holding us back.

I thought we were just focused on winning not a NC. Gotta start there.

Agreed. But I also think that all of the crying about losing McDonald's spread concepts are going to be surprised to see some of the formations we use. I don't think we'll be lining up tight with 8 guys in the box the whole game. He'll spread them out too. Expect Dunk or Custis to flex out into the slot, with Hunt running out of it.

that's what i'm thinking to.

our tight ends are mostly all lean mobile kids. i can see parris and provo in the traditional tight end role with dunk, custis, enoicy, broyld, whomever in that hback role. there's some personnel options, going TE light and adding estime/phillips in the slot.

Is what I said really that hard to understand?

Great talent is the MOST important thing.

Great scheme is the SECOND most important thing.

Your coach could be the zombie lovechild of Lombardi, Noll, Stramm, Parcells, Walsh, Belichick and Saban and he/she still wouldn't be able to get SU to the title game with our level of talent.

*edit* Didn't meant to sound snarky. Just didn't think what I said was all that controversial.

The original poster is advocating for us to model our O after tOSU. Like THAT is what's holding us back.

When you say "second, at best". Well, I don't necessarily agree with that.

When you say "second, at best". Well, I don't necessarily agree with that.

You think that a scheme could have made SU a 10+ win team this year?

Look, I'm a HUGE believer in coaching and scheme, don't get me wrong.

I just thought the premise of this thread was silly. Like SU is just a hair shy of being a title contender, if only we chose the right scheme.

Just give me a lot more faster, stronger, more skilled players and THEN we can debate what system we're using to get to the title game.

I just thought the premise of this thread was silly. Like SU is just a hair shy of being a title contender, if only we chose the right scheme.

Just give me a lot more faster, stronger, more skilled players and THEN we can debate what system we're using to get to the title game.

Well, I won't argue with that. But, at the same time, I think we all agree that the scheme we saw on the field this year was horrible. Possibly, with a better scheme, we could have been better than 3-9.

to me its this

what staff could best improve what you already have - shafers or meyers
no doubt meyer gets the nod

You think that a scheme could have made SU a 10+ win team this year?

Look, I'm a HUGE believer in coaching and scheme, don't get me wrong.

That's because you didn't understand the premise of the thread. It's obvious that we don't have the same talent level. Point #1: Given the talent SU has, an offense like OSU's is a better fit (clearly not implying the same result will ensue); Point #2: As talent improves (hopefully), OSU's offense is still a better choice because talent will improve slowly. And, yes, better talent is always better than poor talent.

Hmm. You've seen the playbook?

You're right it's not the easiest to do what you dream about with the air raid - but it's not hard to gain some of the advantages of both the power run with 2 TE and spreading out (without the D subbing) and doing a run/run/pass option with your big QB.

I think that's what we'll be seeing.
it is harder to find big tight ends who can block and get open than it is to find small guys who can get open

to me its this

what staff could best improve what you already have - shafers or meyers
no doubt meyer gets the nod

Didn't know Meyer was on the market.

it is harder to find big tight ends who can block and get open than it is to find small guys who can get open

Yeah - you've made that point before. The problem is that we have a dearth of big athletic types in Dunk, Enoicy, and Custis at the moment. And if we're successful - finding more shouldn't be that hard.

Yeah - you've made that point before. The problem is that we have a dearth of big athletic types in Dunk, Enoicy, and Custis at the moment. And if we're successful - finding more shouldn't be that hard.
can enoicy and custis block? big question. if not, don't pretend they can

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom