That terrible Double Dribble call | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

That terrible Double Dribble call

Another thread crying about officiating. The refs have nothing to do with our losses this year. They’re a banged up team that frankly wouldn’t be that good if they were full strength.

Criticizing officials does not equate to blaming them for the loss. You can lose to a team because they played better than you and also have poor officiating.

Just out of curiosity, who else thought they were going to call the travel on Oshae's up and under dunk off of the pass from Moyer? That was actually very close to being a travel. Had to watch it a few times.

I assumed they were going to call a travel any time one of our players caught the ball. Apparently not moving your pivot foot a single millimeter is a travel now, so I was confused why a travel wasn't called on every possession.

Another thread crying about officiating. The refs have nothing to do with our losses this year. They’re a banged up team that frankly wouldn’t be that good if they were full strength.

I would like to have seen how good a roster with a fully healthy Chukwu-Sibidie-Thompson-Brissett-Moyer-Dolezaj-Howard-Battle-Thorpe-Washington might have accomplished.

As to the refs you can criticize the refs without saying they were biased. They can affect the appeal of the game with the way they call it. They can be inconsistent even if their inconsistencies don't favor one team. And the way they call an evenly called game can impact one team more than another. If they decide to call 50 fouls instead of 30, it can impact a thin team more than a deep one, (I thought that was going to happen but they backed off). You might remember that Ohio State game in the NCAAs where we were the running team and they were the half-court team and all the fouls that were called disrupted our game more than theirs.

Also a team that drives to the basket is going to draw more fouls than a jump-shooting team. It's a question of whether those fouls are being called consistently. We drew fouls sometimes but other times we got mugged or tripped and they let it go. it's also irritating if they decide to call things that we haven't seen called all year, like all the travels and the double dribble.

The refs weren't biased or incompetent but they were at least strange last night.

The refs had nothing to do with us giving up open 3s down the stretch. That dude with his corner threes was amazing...why did we not stay with him?

Thought the 2 traveling calls on Marek were wrong. He just looks so awkward with the ball and appears so panicked that refs get fooled into making calls. Brissett did double dribble. Looked like he couldn't decide whether to go with it or pass it. Just a mistake. Good steal, just hold the ball and let the traffic clear.

Thought the 2 traveling calls on Marek were wrong. He just looks so awkward with the ball and appears so panicked that refs get fooled into making calls. Brissett did double dribble. Looked like he couldn't decide whether to go with it or pass it. Just a mistake. Good steal, just hold the ball and let the traffic clear.

One of the calls on Marek he didn't even have control of the ball. it was bouncing off hands and heads and he wound up with it. They called it it as if he had the ball the whole time.

It absolutely was not a double-dribble. You are allowed to bobble a catch, establish possession, then dribble.

Happens all the time, nearly every game.

The reason we lost is we simply don't defend three-point shooters and that's a tragic problem, but we got no help from the stripes.

I'll say this, about 100 times per year I see that happen, and maybe 100 times a quizzical look crosses my face and I think to myself, "self, wasn't that a double-dribble," and 100 times per year it's not called a double-dribble.

This year it will be 99 out of 100 times it's not called a double-dribble.

Dude gathered the ball and bobbled it in the process. Always happens. Never called.

Stephen's ability to see through traffic, and players bodies to see fouls/travels/etc...is truly unparalled. I bet he could just ref the game from the locker room.

we were double bonus with 11 minutes to play. um ... please not the refs tonite.
I thought on the Moyer to O'Shea on baseline for dunk, that O'Shea was OB and hadn't reestablished himself.
The travel calls on Marek were BS.

that was not a double dribble. dribble requires control. stealing the ball by slapping it to yourself is not control.

So a knock away steal does NOT count as your first dribble. (Art 24.) Only once clear control with one hand or 2 hands touch the ball is control established. From that point dribble rules apply.

from one rule book.. didnt bother with other rule books, since this rule is pretty standard

he knocked it down, bobbled it to gain control, then dribble and passed.. thats not a double dribble by any ref paying attention

Of course how they called travel on Marek in the lane shows they were not paying attention .

fouls were 16- 26 our favor. honestly where's the bias ?
But...but...SU lost. The refs had to be at fault!:(
Oh yeah and how horrible it was for a guy who averages 5ppg and shoots 35% from the arc goes off for all of 14 pts! Wow!:rolling:
Face it gang, SU lose because they couldn't get the job done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom