That was a must win | Syracusefan.com

That was a must win

I agree. Hard to call this win impressive...but...given Grant's injury -- I am pretty impressed they gutted it out, despite the brutal ending.

MD is seriously AWFUL. Did you see some of their passes? It was cringe-worthy.

GoHamSU said:

They should have won at Cameron. Only 1 loss at home before tonite. Not an awful team.

They should have won at Cameron. Only 1 loss at home before tonite. Not an awful team.

I don't know man. In all seriousness, they looked really really bad. I don't think I've seen more than 2 or 3 teams in the ACC this year that are better than a St. John's type team from last year's Big East. It is a really terrible conference. I keep trying to stay positive about our chances in the NCAA Tourney, but goodness it is hard to do right now. I keep thinking we have or will turn a corner to get out of this extended slump, but instead we seem to find ways to let worse and worse teams get awfully close to beating us and we pile up injuries to our stars at the same time.

I don't know man. In all seriousness, they looked really really bad. I don't think I've seen more than 2 or 3 teams in the ACC this year that are better than a St. John's type team from last year's Big East. It is a really terrible conference. I keep trying to stay positive about our chances in the NCAA Tourney, but goodness it is hard to do right now. I keep thinking we have or will turn a corner to get out of this extended slump, but instead we seem to find ways to let worse and worse teams get awfully close to beating us and we pile up injuries to our stars at the same time.

The 'Glass Half Full' side is that "this extended slump" is/was really two games - NC St & BC.

Your perception of the conference not withstanding - and I agree it's not terribly strong overall - Pitt & Maryland for all their faults are just not easy road games for anyone. Look at their kenpom/sagarin and how elite teams have fared @ similarly ranked teams - KU@KSU/, AZ@Cal/AZ St, Anybody@Nebraska, Duke@UNC, L'ville@Cincy...

I think we all know a controversial L @Dook is not a red flag...

And it goes w/out saying we're f***ed if Grant's back lingers into March.

They aren't awful, they are a middle of the pack team, playing in desperation mode.

It's tough to judge right in the grind of their schedule. It takes a real toll on their body day in and day out. They also went out into Maryland without their leading rebounding and best wing defender who could punish opponents inside and came out with a W. Main concern right now is getting Jerami healthy but on the positive side other than a near collapse, they looked pretty good the first 35 minutes (kind of ironic). If Trevor hits three of those open threes which he should be doing it strikes a dagger into the stadium and they win by 15. Overall it was a gutty performance for the boys in Orange especially Baye Moussa who is picking up the slack for Christmas and then some.

And it goes w/out saying we're f***ed if Grant's back lingers into March.

If that is a case, I will send him a CD single of that 1993 Cranberries' song "Linger". Of course to help him get over it, I'd also send one of their rocker "Zombie". That Irish chick could wail.

They had 12 losses coming into today, pretty hard to make the tournament with a resume like that.

My favorite was on our backcourt violation how the maryland player tried to save it :bang:

The team is struggling right now. I'm not sure how to pull it out, and I don't think Boeheim knows either. You just got to hope they start playing better down the stretch. But go Orange!!!!!

I watched them do everything in their power for 35 minutes to give us the game. Some of their passes were comically awful.

The frustrating thing about tonight is we were actually playing pretty well...especially considering foul trouble and no depth with grant injured...we were playing really well...and then just forgot how to play with about five minutes left. the maryland press was a joke and we should have crushed it..but we sure made it look like Nolan Richardson's 40 minutes of hell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom