That was not a Catch | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

That was not a Catch

So if you are diving for a ball and you catch it and your knee hits the ground and then the rest of your body hits the ground and the ball comes loose, that's a catch? No, it is not.

and that’s not what happened.

Thought he did not have control while going out of bounds. Ball on his thigh.
The bigger blown call was GS supposed fumble. Clearly ball was in his had and in throwing motion. Clear incomplete pass. Even with video refs cannot get it right.
That ball went backwards so it is a lateral and is a fumble.

thats not the rule either. if it was a pass then its not a lateral if it goes backwards in that case.. thats not the rule
its pretty much the same thing, bottom line it was called correctly

its pretty much the same thing, bottom line it was called correctly
no its not.. if you throw a pass backwards thats a lateral. if you are throwing a forward pass and get hit and it goes backwards its not a lateral they are 2 different things.. A pass is defined by the intended direction of the throw if contact causes it to go backwards.. now if they ruled the ball was loose in his hand before his hand started forward then its a fumble not a pass.. All i have seen is the dome replays on both. the catch one looked like a drop on that replay but havent seen a tv replay.. The pass one just had the split second look but since they dont really tell us what part of the rule they are applying I will have to look closer.. Wish they would explain the calls when they come out of replay.

no its not.. if you throw a pass backwards thats a lateral. if you are throwing a forward pass and get hit and it goes backwards its not a lateral they are 2 different things.. A pass is defined by the intended direction of the throw if contact causes it to go backwards.. now if they ruled the ball was loose in his hand before his hand started forward then its a fumble not a pass.. All i have seen is the dome replays on both. the catch one looked like a drop on that replay but havent seen a tv replay.. The pass one just had the split second look but since they dont really tell us what part of the rule they are applying I will have to look closer.. Wish they would explain the calls when they come out of replay.
he had possession when he released it but went backwards

he had possession when he released it but went backwards
if so then its an incomplete pass unless you decide he was throwing to a WR behind him which I dont think was the case.

no problem.. as i said havent seen a good replay to judge the call but the rules are pretty clear .
To be a forward pass, the ball would have to have gone forward in the air then been redirected back. That didn't occur. It went backward right off of his hand. That's a lateral. And a fumble.

I hate that we have lost so many reviews this year. But what I REALLY hate is the two times this year where they have changed their call on the field and THEN gone to review.

To be a forward pass, the ball would have to have gone forward in the air then been redirected back. That didn't occur. It went backward right off of his hand. That's a lateral. And a fumble.
Then what is the point of trying to determine if his arm was going forward or not? I thought that was always the indicator; Arm going forward, incomplete passes. Arm not going forward, fumble. I understood that rule regardless of which direction the ball ended up going. Did that rule change? News to me…

[Edit: This is what I found online:]

When a Team A player is holding the ball to pass it forward toward the neutral zone, any intentional forward movement of his hand or arm with the ball firmly in his control starts the forward pass.

Then what is the point of trying to determine if his arm was going forward or not? I thought that was always the indicator; Arm going forward, incomplete passes. Arm not going forward, fumble. I understood that rule regardless of which direction the ball ended up going. Did that rule change? News to me…
I don't think it matters what direction his arm is going. Thought it was all about the direction the ball goes.

It's a different issue as to whether a QB has fumbled the ball or attempted a pass. If the arm isn't moving forward yet and the ball comes free, then it's neither a pass nor a lateral, it's a fumble.

[Edit: This is what I found online:]

When a Team A player is holding the ball to pass it forward toward the neutral zone, any intentional forward movement of his hand or arm with the ball firmly in his control starts the forward pass.
and thats the key.. if you are throwing a forward pass it doesnt matter if it goes backwards with the contact its a forward pass.. unless you think he was throwing a pass to a wr behind him its a forward pass.. think about it, you see it every week. a qb is throwing gets hit and the ball lands at his feet. arm is moving forward balls falls out behind him its a forward pass..

I don't think it matters what direction his arm is going. Thought it was all about the direction the ball goes.

It's a different issue as to whether a QB has fumbled the ball or attempted a pass. If the arm isn't moving forward yet and the ball comes free, then it's neither a pass nor a lateral, it's a fumble.
yup thats the key.. was it loose before he started to throw forward then its a fumble not a pass or a lateral. if he had control when it started forward then its a pass and an inc..

and thats the key.. if you are throwing a forward pass it doesnt matter if it goes backwards with the contact its a forward pass.. unless you think he was throwing a pass to a wr behind him its a forward pass.. think about it, you see it every week. a qb is throwing gets hit and the ball lands at his feet. arm is moving forward balls falls out behind him its a forward pass..
Did you thing his throwing motion was to pass to a WR behind him? Did you think the ball was knocked loose before his arm started his throwing motion?

Did you thing his throwing motion was to pass to a WR behind him? Did you think the ball was knocked loose before his arm started his throwing motion?
i have not watched it yet on replay.. Live I didnt recall a WR that was not in the endzone so I thought he was throwing forward. I couldnt tell if it was loose before he started throwing. Its either a fumble or an Inc pass but not a lateral.

i have not watched it yet on replay.. Live I didnt recall a WR that was not in the endzone so I thought he was throwing forward. I couldnt tell if it was loose before he started throwing. Its either a fumble or an Inc pass but not a lateral.
Looked to me like arm coming forward with the ball… and passing forward ( there was no WR at the boundary behind the QB). To me that’s incomplete pass. I’ll watch it again.

now having watched the replay it was a bad call. the arm was moving before the contact so its a pass not a fumble.. but they ruled it a fumble not a lateral. the WR was in the endzone so that makes it a forward pass attempt.

So if you are diving for a ball and you catch it and your knee hits the ground and then the rest of your body hits the ground and the ball comes loose, that's a catch? No, it is not.
if your going to the ground before securing the catch you have to keep control after hitting the ground, the refs ruled he had already secured the ball before being tackled to the ground so it was a catch

Was a catch.

Duce and GW are talented but they get caught with their backs to the ball playing catchup a little too much. Still young.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom