The “Loaner” Rule (not that it should ever happen) | Syracusefan.com

The “Loaner” Rule (not that it should ever happen)

jncuse

I brought the Cocaine to the White House
Listening to a hockey podcast today and I was reminded of the crazy “loaner” rule that used to exist for the Canadian Junior hockey championship up until the mid 80s.

The final tournament, which was a round robin of 3 league champs (sometimes 4) , allowed each team to bring in one goalie from another team in their league as a replacement player.

Let’s say this existed for the NCAA tournament … and the ACC teams that made it could pick up one player from any of the other ACC teams.

Who would get picked up from Syracuse if any (were going to win the ACC but pretend that is not the case and pretend this dumbass rule existed)

Maliq Brown given his smarts and ability to fit in, I think would have a good chance of getting picked up by one of the 4 or 5 teams. I don’t think anybody would take Mintz — to hard to implement into a team late.

If you expanded it to all 68 teams being able to pick up one player from anywhere I suppose it’s possible Mintz or Q gets picked up as well.

I’d actually say Mintz because you don’t have to teach him the offense. He’d come off the bench and be told to attack the rim.

That’s what made this work in hockey. Goalies operate independently of the rest of the team.

I’d actually say Mintz because you don’t have to teach him the offense. He’d come off the bench and be told to attack the rim.

That’s what made this work in hockey. Goalies operate independently of the rest of the team.

That's fair point - can come off as a micro scorer sixth man.

Regading goalies- they may have acted fully independently in the past when hockey had very few systems. But NHL is much more system driven than ever before. Its important for the goalie to understand and get comfortable within that d-zone scheme and the players in front of him to be more successful.

Brown is one of our best but I don't think he would be high on a list like you're asking about. I would say Bell for one. Bring him in and see if he's hot. If so, let him ride. If not, sit him on the bench for the game. Mintz is an interesting one but a good pick too. You could just tell him, okay, you got 5 minutes to foul out the other team, go about it son. Not sure about any of our other players. I was going to say Cope, but not sure about that one.

Brown is one of our best but I don't think he would be high on a list like you're asking about. I would say Bell for one. Bring him in and see if he's hot. If so, let him ride. If not, sit him on the bench for the game. Mintz is an interesting one but a good pick too. You could just tell him, okay, you got 5 minutes to foul out the other team, go about it son. Not sure about any of our other players. I was going to say Cope, but not sure about that one.

Under the loner rule, only 5 players (or 4) from the non ACC qualifiers could be selected by other ACC teams. It would be tough for anyone to make since ACC has so many teams missing the tourney.

Listening to a hockey podcast today and I was reminded of the crazy “loaner” rule that used to exist for the Canadian Junior hockey championship up until the mid 80s.

The final tournament, which was a round robin of 3 league champs (sometimes 4) , allowed each team to bring in one goalie from another team in their league as a replacement player.

Let’s say this existed for the NCAA tournament … and the ACC teams that made it could pick up one player from any of the other ACC teams.

Who would get picked up from Syracuse if any (were going to win the ACC but pretend that is not the case and pretend this dumbass rule existed)

Maliq Brown given his smarts and ability to fit in, I think would have a good chance of getting picked up by one of the 4 or 5 teams. I don’t think anybody would take Mintz — to hard to implement into a team late.

If you expanded it to all 68 teams being able to pick up one player from anywhere I suppose it’s possible Mintz or Q gets picked up as well.
Chris, to see if he could get hot for you. But only for a team devoid of shooting and already covered with a QB/PG and good at rebounding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom