The #1 Seeds | Syracusefan.com

The #1 Seeds

jncuse

I brought the Cocaine to the White House
A topic I miss from some of our prior seasons.

The power conference teams have really went chalk today and this week, and everyone in line for a #1 seed is still alive. Most of the #1 seeds are not only winning but winning comfortably by double digits through most of the game Maybe this tournament will go more chalk than we thought a few weeks ago.

So 2 questions that are not necessarily the same answer
1) Who do you think will get the number one seeds? (or what needs to happen over the next few days)
2) Who do you think deserves the number one seeds ... if different than #1.

I am not going to ambush fans who say a certain team in white and blue should not be a #1.

A topic I miss from some of our prior seasons.

The power conference teams have really went chalk today and this week, and everyone in line for a #1 seed is still alive. Most of the #1 seeds are not only winning but winning comfortably by double digits through most of the game Maybe this tournament will go more chalk than we thought a few weeks ago.

So 2 questions that are not necessarily the same answer
1) Who do you think will get the number one seeds? (or what needs to happen over the next few days)
2) Who do you think deserves the number one seeds ... if different than #1.

I am not going to ambush fans who say a certain team in white and blue should not be a #1.
right now i have 3 locks : Kansas(as the #1 overall), Virginia and Villanova, The last one is among 3 teams: oklahoma,unc and michigan state with a final decison to be made sunday afternoon

I think we are down to 7 candidates

The matrix is riding 3 teams that are pretty much on everybody's 1 line

Kansas lock
Villanova - Reach Big East Final (looks like they will get Seton Hall)
Virginia - On Target to play UNC in the ACC Final

So that leaves us with:

Oklahoma
Michigan St
UNC
Oregon

Who gets that final #1 seed? Is Oregon a possibility -- they will be 6-1 against top 25 this week, and 10-3 vs top 50. Will the committee respect the Pac12 like the RPI does? Oregon has the best numbers on the surface, but when you dig deeper...

I will tell you this -- if Oregon comes up as a #1 seed, which they will announce early on, you know that Oregon St is getting in. If they don't then maybe they discounted some of the resumes of P12 schools.

They certainly don't deserve a #1, but I think it's a real possibility.

Kansas, UVa, Villanova & UNCheat... I think UVa is a 1 regardless of outcome tomorrow as we have beaten numerous top ten teams in every setting possible... home/away/neutral court... Kansas seems to be the best team in country, though maybe through biased acc/orange&blue glasses I find the Big12 now 10 to be not as good as the ACC... MSU, I think has languished in a not so tough BiG and would be my top 2 seed...

Hope you guys find a way to wiggle into the tourney... You'll put a team or two out if so...

Kansas, UVa, Villanova & UNCheat... I think UVa is a 1 regardless of outcome tomorrow as we have beaten numerous top ten teams in every setting possible... home/away/neutral court... Kansas seems to be the best team in country, though maybe through biased acc/orange&blue glasses I find the Big12 now 10 to be not as good as the ACC... MSU, I think has languished in a not so tough BiG and would be my top 2 seed...

Hope you guys find a way to wiggle into the tourney... You'll put a team or two out if so...

I think both Unc and Uva should get one seeds, unless the game was like a 30 point blowout. I think if Msu wins the big ten, they will get the last one over Nova.

What was the last team to get a #1 seed and neither win their conference tournament or their regular season?

I'll wait.

Just to make things clear, per the matrix submissions of this morning only, we were #1 out.

PuKe

Good call.

By my math, it has happened 6 times since 1985.

On 4 occasions, there was a fellow conference member who stole the thunder and also got a #1 seed:
1993: Michigan (Indiana)
2003: Texas (Kansas)
2009: Pitt & UCONN (Louisville)

On 2 occasions, a team won neither the reg. season or conf. tournament AND there was no other #1 from the conference
1989: Illinois
2015: Duke

Good call.

By my math, it has happened 6 times since 1985.

On 4 occasions, there was a fellow conference member who stole the thunder and also got a #1 seed:
1993: Michigan (Indiana)
2003: Texas (Kansas)
2009: Pitt & UCONN (Louisville)

On 2 occasions, a team won neither the reg. season or conf. tournament AND there was no other #1 from the conference
1989: Illinois
2015: Duke

I notice an inordinate amont of correlation to the post seasons of some of the better Orange teams of all time on that list.

I notice an inordinate amont of correlation to the post seasons of some of the better Orange teams of all time on that list.

You remember our 1993 and 2015 post-seasons? Maybe it's a negative correlation.

Though Kansas in 2003 and Illinois in 1989 were prominent players.

You remember our 1993 and 2015 post-seasons? Maybe it's a negative correlation.

Though Kansas in 2003 and Illinois in 1989 were prominent players.

lol at 1993 and 2015

Yeah, that 1989...as best I recall, was just like running into a perfect storm. Kendall Gill, Kenny "no relation to Tyus" Battle, and whomever else. I dont recall what round it was in, but man the talent on that SU team makes me a bit jealous of those days, you know? Can you imagine Boeheim with that level of talent now?

Of course nothing needs to be said about 2003. Maybe we should root for that scenario again and hope this team does something magical to get remembered with those 2? This team has the talent in this season of NCAA mediocrity, it's just a matter of keeping the switch turned on for a number of games in a row(after managing to do it for the majority of one game). Im looking for whatever good luck charm I can find.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom