the 2014 OL thoughts | Syracusefan.com

the 2014 OL thoughts

CaliCuse

All American
If Foy can improve enough over this off season physically and technique wise he has a shot at the Left tackle spot with Knapp going to RT. Nick Robinson was a great matador in too many games. I prefer to see him in the depth department. Lasker didn't show anything in his brief PT I have no idea if Burton and McGloster developed enough to get into the picture here. Of course there is always the chance we get a JC kid who can step in and help. That and other positions that we need are open to that happening. Its a matter for the experts and inside guys here to scope out.

I thought the line did pretty well compared to recent memory. Hopefully Emerich is ready to play. Hickey isn't quite ready to make the jump. He had some good games but he isn't not at J. Pughs level yet. Robinson did a good job but I am sure there will be some competition for him. I remember when it was Hay and Tiller on the right side of the line.

First off hopefully Hickey comes back. I know people were high on knapp I don't know if he was injured but Lasker came in for hickey before him. If hickey comes back we will be very solid. If not might take a few games to jell.

One observation about our OL coach. He prefers to set the pieces in place and keep them there.

Foy is not moving from R-OT; and Lasker is going to be our starter at L-OT. If you have doubts, watch the part of the BC game when Lasker filled in for Hickey.

The competition will be at C. Emerich has the mechanics, but not ideal size at around 280 lbs.

One observation about our OL coach. He prefers to set the pieces in place and keep them there.

Foy is not moving from R-OT; and Lasker is going to be our starter at L-OT. If you have doubts, watch the part of the BC game when Lasker filled in for Hickey.

The competition will be at C. Emerich has the mechanics, but not ideal size at around 280 lbs.
Right. It seems like people are refusing to realize that a first year summer enrollee juco tackle can come in a be better than a red shirt freshman. Hey I like knapp too, but if lasker is in there that means he's better. The more snaps he got in the game the better he got. Knapp will push the starter and provide depth. These type of things happen when your team gets better. You get better players which leads to better competition and better depth. Good problem to have.

If Foy can improve enough over this off season physically and technique wise he has a shot at the Left tackle spot with Knapp going to RT. Nick Robinson was a great matador in too many games. I prefer to see him in the depth department. Lasker didn't show anything in his brief PT I have no idea if Burton and McGloster developed enough to get into the picture here. Of course there is always the chance we get a JC kid who can step in and help. That and other positions that we need are open to that happening. Its a matter for the experts and inside guys here to scope out.

Not sure what your problem is with Robinson, imo he was very good considering he was a first year starter. He has ideal size, and still 2 more off seasons to continue to develop.

Albeit very young I felt offensive line was very under rated going into the season, and imo that unit was once again a strength. Our pass protection was probably some of the best we have had in a long time. Run game got slowed down on a few occasions when they were out matched, but we had 3 sophmores starting. The key next year obviously will be if Hickey returns. If he does then we should once again expect this unit to be a strength. I had Knapp pegged for starting RT, but it looks like they feel Lasker is further along. Could that be to Knapp's concussion during training camp that caused him to miss a ton of work, or do they feel Lasker is the future? It would be ideal if both of them formed the 2 deep. If that's the case we should feel very good about our OT's. Lasker got off to a tough start, but was serviceable filling in for Hickey. He will only be a JR so he should get better. As for center a lot of people are high on Emerich. Sure there could be a drop off from replacing Mackey, but that would be the case with virtually anyone. I'd like to see him pack on a few more pounds, but it is his job to lose, and I don't expect that. Miller and Hayes will provide depth behind them with Palmer providing depth at guard.

Actually after typing all that out we could be set up for a huge step forward offensively next year. We just need to get Hickey back next season, and work all off season on limiting those stupid false starts!!

Next year:

Lasker - LT
Robinson
Emerich
Trudo
Foy

Not sure what your problem is with Robinson, imo he was very good considering he was a first year starter. He has ideal size, and still 2 more off seasons to continue to develop.

Albeit very young I felt offensive line was very under rated going into the season, and imo that unit was once again a strength. Our pass protection was probably some of the best we have had in a long time. Run game got slowed down on a few occasions when they were out matched, but we had 3 sophmores starting. The key next year obviously will be if Hickey returns. If he does then we should once again expect this unit to be a strength. I had Knapp pegged for starting RT, but it looks like they feel Lasker is further along. Could that be to Knapp's concussion during training camp that caused him to miss a ton of work, or do they feel Lasker is the future? It would be ideal if both of them formed the 2 deep. If that's the case we should feel very good about our OT's. Lasker got off to a tough start, but was serviceable filling in for Hickey. He will only be a JR so he should get better. As for center a lot of people are high on Emerich. Sure there could be a drop off from replacing Mackey, but that would be the case with virtually anyone. I'd like to see him pack on a few more pounds, but it is his job to lose, and I don't expect that. Miller and Hayes will provide depth behind them with Palmer providing depth at guard.

Actually after typing all that out we could be set up for a huge step forward offensively next year. We just need to get Hickey back next season, and work all off season on limiting those stupid false starts!!

Agree on Robinson. He and Trudo have a nasty streak as evident by numerous blocks being finished with their forearms on the opponents throats. Also remember that Trudo was recruited as a center. Palmer made some noise as a true freshman- not sure if that is hype based or from performance. Gives the option of moving Trudo to C and bringing Palmer up to LG. I think they keep the right side intact with Robinson and Foy.

What about Trudo sliding over to center and Palmer taking his guard spot? I thought I remembered that Trudo was recruited as a center. It is nice to be talking about 4 or 5 guys sliding into a couple of spots. We haven't had this kind of depth in a while. Thanks Doug.

What about Trudo sliding over to center and Palmer taking his guard spot? I thought I remembered that Trudo was recruited as a center. It is nice to be talking about 4 or 5 guys sliding into a couple of spots. We haven't had this kind of depth in a while. Thanks Doug.

Wow. Same wavelength at the exact same time. Freaky.

Obviously, you haven't taken the time to watch Robinson play. He had a solid year and I think the OL, in general, was the surprise unit on the team.

Robinson is the best run blocker SU ran behind him constantly. I like the idea of Trudo at center.

I actually forgot trudo worked in at center too. Thanks for mentioning that. I like Trudo at center too and think he would be a NFL prospect at that position.

I actually forgot trudo worked in at center too. Thanks for mentioning that. I like Trudo at center too and think he would be a NFL prospect at that position.
And it would open a spot for Palmer who is a beast.

i like the idea of Trudo at center, but it seems they have been grooming Emerich to take over for Mackey the past 2 years. Then they started with Hayes to be his back up. I'd be surprised if they moved Trudo after 2 very good seasons at guard

Obviously, you haven't taken the time to watch Robinson play. He had a solid year and I think the OL, in general, was the surprise unit on the team.
My opinion is that Lester and Perles are the best teaching coaches on the O staff i thought that Perles did a fantastic job this year

My two deep for the OL going into the spring semester:

If Hickey returns:

LT: Hickey (SR) Lasker (JR)
LG: Trudo (JR) Palmer (SO)
C: Emerich (SO) Hayes (RF)
RG: Robinson (JR) Miller (SR)
RT: Foy (JR) Knapp (SO)

If Hickey does not return:

LT: Lasker (JR) Knapp (SO)
LG: Trudo (JR) Palmer (SO)
C: Emerich (SO) Hayes (RF)
RG: Robinson (JR) Miller (SR)
RT: Foy (JR) McGloster (RF) or Burton (RF)

Center is the big question mark. Could be Emerich, Trudo, Miller or Hayes. I think Hayes is the least likely given his lack of experience (the center makes all the calls on blocking assignments). Previous staffs have often moved a starter at OG or OT to C to try and get someone with experience at this key position. Given our relative lack of depth at OG and OT, it seems unlikely but if Emerich isn't ready, it could happen.

John Miller was 2nd team all conference playing center his sophomore year in JUCO ball (Mike Lasker had the same 2nd team as a frosh). If Emerich doesn't start at C, my guess is that Miller does, based on his starting 2 seasons at center at the JUCO level. Miller incidentally is listed on the SU roster as a sophomore but from everything I have read, he played 2 years at LA Harbor College, so he is a junior this year and next year, he will be a senior.

I like Emerich as well, no big screw ups when he came in for Mackey a couple of times. It is just so good to have Trudo, Hayes, and Miller as other options. Like I said previously, we have quality depth at all spots, our two deep is not much of a drop off. Lasker and Knapp are two quality backup tackles. I'm more worried about depth on the d-line than the o-line. I do think Perles is exceptional. Hope we can keep the whole staff together for a couple of years.

Center is the big question mark. Could be Emerich, Trudo, Miller or Hayes. I think Hayes is the least likely given his lack of experience (the center makes all the calls on blocking assignments). Previous staffs have often moved a starter at OG or OT to C to try and get someone with experience at this key position. Given our relative lack of depth at OG and OT, it seems unlikely but if Emerich isn't ready, it could happen.

John Miller was 2nd team all conference playing center his sophomore year in JUCO ball (Mike Lasker had the same 2nd team as a frosh). If Emerich doesn't start at C, my guess is that Miller does, based on his starting 2 seasons at center at the JUCO level. ...

Actually, the returning OL is the deepest we have had in a long, long time.
Emerich will be fine at C -- in 2015 and 2016. The question is whether he brings the size & strength we need this season (at 280 or so?). The other candidates have 20 lbs on him; Emerich has the advantage of working at C for two years.
To me, it seems likely Perles will get his best five into the starting spots. Last year, many posters spotted Foy as an OG and penciled in Knapp as R-OT. Perles moved Foy early in the Spring and the OL was set.
So, who is our best fifth lineman (assuming Hickey declares and Lasker is the L-OT)? Knapp, Palmer, Miller, or Emerich? If it is Knapp or Palmer (at a guard spot), Trudo moves to C.
Might take two weeks of experimenting in the Spring.

My opinion is that Lester and Perles are the best teaching coaches on the O staff i thought that Perles did a fantastic job this year
I really like Lester. The offense seemed to settle in when Shaf moved him upstairs with GMac. I think he progresses into an OC and eventually a head coach. He just has a certain presence to him.

yeah Im worried about Emerich weight. Needs to bulk up. I thought he would be heavier by now. Him and Knapp came in at the same time. Knapp is noticeably bigger. Emerich looks the same. Im hoping he is able to add muscle this off season. At least get to 285

Clearly the obvious to you isn't obviously clear. I watched him extensively and on replays of plays that flopped. and you are correct he was a great matador on some of those plays. If he was a surprise on the positive side ,good, for him I still prefer him o be depth material. Good depth isn't a minor factor for the team. Obviously the main replacement positions are center and LT. Now maybe Nick steps up his game and becomes very effective out there. i'm all for that to happen The same with Foy We might know after spring practice how much Burton and McGloster have progressed as well as the two we mentioned here. I still think that a JC candidate could come in and fill one or both spots for a couple years while we ref-shirt and jack the other on the roster. i don't care how a quality O-Line is assembled,only that it is!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom