The 40 Minute Soft Press... | Syracusefan.com

The 40 Minute Soft Press...

newmexicuse

All Conference
I love the soft press. It takes time off the clock, tires out the other team bringing the ball up the court, and leads to a few turnovers. Maybe, a lot of turnovers if the opponent lacks good ball handlers.

Next season we will have a deep roster. We should have fresh legs on the court at all times.

I do not see any reason why the 40 minute soft press should not become a significant enhancement to the Zone.

I love the soft press. It takes time off the clock, tires out the other team bringing the ball up the court, and leads to a few turnovers. Maybe, a lot of turnovers if the opponent lacks good ball handlers.

Next season we will have a deep roster. We should have fresh legs on the court at all times.

I do not see any reason why the 40 minute soft press should not become a significant enhancement to the Zone.
JAB is not going to do it consistently. He might do that to Mid-Majors. But he wouldn't do that in ACC play.

Or could lead to east buckets if the opponent makes the right pass

Which is why Duke got out of it against us if I remember right.

They did throw it back on out of that timeout and got the 10 second call.

I don’t see Boeheim going 40 minute press, and that’s fine. Wouldn’t mind some proactive pressure at the right times, but I’m thinking more along the lines of when we’re clearly better and are playing an inferior team that’s trying to slow us down...like was often the case in the early part of this decade.

So does the 2-3.

We are trying to limit basket attempts, not increase them.

I like it. A few teams rolled the ball past half court against us this year to keep the clock from running. Forcing teams to run a little clock before they can get into their offense could make the zone more effective and keeping it a soft press limts the chance for easy scores.

I like it. A few teams rolled the ball past half court against us this year to keep the clock from running. Forcing teams to run a little clock before they can get into their offense could make the zone more effective and keeping it a soft press limts the chance for easy scores.

In the era where “easy basket” meant layup, sure. In the era where many teams have 4 shooters on the floor that will bury an open 3 at any time, not so sure. Having our guys all out of position and spread around the floor leaves a big possibility of a quick, open 3.

If you're pressing that long, something's not right. But either way, it's important to have plenty of length in the middle.
Sometimes there were quick turnovers. If I coverted quick, I might get set up again and get another turnover.

Not for me, not that there is anything wrong with it.
what-you-did-b7bhlm.jpg

So does the 2-3.

We are trying to limit basket attempts, not increase them.
That is part of the point of a soft press, increase the pace of the game, use our depth and talent, more possessions if we are the deeper more talented team = less chance of an upset.

Yes, they score more, but we should score that plus some.

You slow the game down when you are less talented, you pick up the pace when talent is in your favor.

Do you really want 30 more games next season of what we endured this season ???

That is part of the point of a soft press, increase the pace of the game, use our depth and talent, more possessions if we are the deeper more talented team = less chance of an upset.

You slow the game down when you are less talented, you pick up the pace when talent is in your favor.

A soft press is like using the shift v all 9 players.

Or coming out in a dime v the 80s Giants.

We had one of the best defenses in the country according to KenPom. Our best defense since 2013.

You want to make the defense worse to get more offense?

We just need talent to make shots.

The soft press is one of the worst defenses you can play. If someone gets a player in the middle between both lines it is over. It’s basically the same thing as the 2-3 extended which means 50 percent of the court is uncovered. No thanks.

Last edited:
We had one of the best defenses in the country according to KenPom. Our best defense since 2013.

You want to make the defense worst to get more offense?

The soft press is one of the worst defenses you can play. If someone gets a player in the middle between both lines it is over. It’s basically the same thing as the 2-3 extended which means 50 percent of the court is uncovered. No thanks.
that is jimmys strength and weakness. he does not change and adapt to the talent on hand. how many seasons do we think we under perform when we have talent and outperform when we dont.

coach k has adapted and changed. our jimmy, no way jose.

it will be an absolute crime next season with the talent we have on hand to still be playing games in the 50s.

if you do not like the soft press idea, how else will you pick up the pace and increase the possessions, or were you happy with this years style and just hope we make a few more shots next season.

for so many years, a big part of our success was transition points. we spurted and pulled away. when was the last we were able to do that consistently.

please no more dino ball when we will have superior talent.

that is jimmys strength and weakness. he does not change and adapt to the talent on hand. how many seasons do we think we under perform when we have talent and outperform when we dont.

coach k has adapted and changed. our jimmy, no way jose.

it will be an absolute crime next season with the talent we have on hand to still be playing games in the 50s.

if you do not like the soft press idea, how else will you pick up the pace and increase the possessions, or were you happy with this years style and just hope we make a few more shots next season.

for so many years, a big part of our success was transition points. we spurted and pulled away. when was the last we were able to do that consistently.

please no more dino ball when we will have superior talent.
You suggest JB "does not change and adapt to the talent on hand."

But he did just that a season ago when he decided to go with an offense that fired up a ton of threes once he realized the group he had wasn't very good at defense. And he fell one win short of salvaging a season that had gone off the rails by doing so.

Last edited:
Some teams want to be pressed because they are good in transition and terrible in the half court. Do you really want to press that type of team?

And i’ll add...is anything ‘soft’ ever really good:)

You want to make the defense worst to get more offense?

Who cares what a defense or offense is ranked ? The point is to increase your chances of scoring more points relative to the other team . If we give up 3 more points a game but score 4 more , that’s a win

Does anyone really think Brissett, Bazley, Howard aren't going to average at least 35 minutes?

It’s almost like you guys don’t know how intimidating it is to dribble up the court, see a forest and realize that you won’t be able to get a shot off till 2 seconds left on the clock with likely either a deep 3 or a prayer!!

And instead you guys want to put the top of the zone past half court.

Or maybe even make it a’2-1-2’ zone with the 2-1 past half court.

Ridonkulous

Who cares what a defense or offense is ranked ? The point is to increase your chances of scoring more points relative to the other team . If we give up 3 more points a game but score 4 more , that’s a win

It will not work against good teams at all.