The 40 Minute Soft Press... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The 40 Minute Soft Press...

that is jimmys strength and weakness. he does not change and adapt to the talent on hand. how many seasons do we think we under perform when we have talent and outperform when we dont.

coach k has adapted and changed. our jimmy, no way jose.

it will be an absolute crime next season with the talent we have on hand to still be playing games in the 50s.

if you do not like the soft press idea, how else will you pick up the pace and increase the possessions, or were you happy with this years style and just hope we make a few more shots next season.

for so many years, a big part of our success was transition points. we spurted and pulled away. when was the last we were able to do that consistently.

please no more dino ball when we will have superior talent.

We will have a lot more talent. We will play zone and have more talent to score more than we did this year.

Coach K underperformed compared to the talent he had. His defense has stunk for 3 years. All they do is outscore people because he has NBA players.

In the era where “easy basket” meant layup, sure. In the era where many teams have 4 shooters on the floor that will bury an open 3 at any time, not so sure. Having our guys all out of position and spread around the floor leaves a big possibility of a quick, open 3.
I don't think it has to. I think you're thinking of a more aggressive press than OP or me. It probably wouldn't even be what most would consider a true press. It just wouldn't allow teams to roll the ball past midcourt while all of our guys stand back and watch.

Some teams want to be pressed because they are good in transition and terrible in the half court. Do you really want to press that type of team?

And i’ll add...is anything ‘soft’ ever really good:)
Just because it's used against one team doesn't mean it has to be used against everyone. Isn't that what scouting is for?

Since the Orange will have the bodies, I don’t see whyJB wont go play man to man.

Am I wrong??...

I don't think it has to. I think you're thinking of a more aggressive press than OP or me. It probably wouldn't even be what most would consider a true press. It just wouldn't allow teams to roll the ball past midcourt while all of our guys stand back and watch.
You are one of the few who have responded to this thread who seems to "get" what i am talking about.

I just want 2 guards picking up at 3/4 court. Making the other team work to beat the 10 second call and maybe cut 3 to 8 secs off the time we have to defend in the Zone. We would not have fewer guys back than our opponents have at any time. We have Chuk to defend the rim if by any chance the opponents are able to break, which should be very rare if the soft press is utilized correctly.

The soft press can be aggressive or passive. I am advocated mostly passive, but should the opposing dribbler pickup the ball there could be occasional traps (aggressive).

Lots of interesting opinions here...

If teams want to run a "soft" press, it is typically a 2-2-1 (that is very different from 2-2-1 full court or the 2-1-2). The goal is never to trap full court out of a soft press. Typically, there are no traps (sometimes after the ball crosses half court, but that's a different call). The goal is to soft pressure the ball, keeping everything in front of you, keep it out the middle of the floor, force the O to up the sidelines or to make a long reversal pass, and to make teams take a little more time before they can set their half court offense.

The soft 2-2-1 is a great complement to the 2-3 as it naturally shifts back into alignment with the Gs Fs and 5 already in their typical 2-3 spots.

Moot point because this absolutely not JB's philosophy. But, it is not an outrageous idea.