The "53" Play | Syracusefan.com

The "53" Play

Coach Orange

2nd String
Just a quick disclaimer: I was asked if I could break this play down in one of the other threads. I did, but I didn't want those who might want to see it to miss it. Also, I didn't want SWC's "Upside" thread to possibly be hijacked on him. Hence, I figured I would just repost it as its own thread for anyone who is interested. For those who are not interested, sorry for the repost.

The "53" is a play that we have run quite successfully in two of the last three games. It is a man-to-man offensive play--it isn't designed for use against zone defenses.

It is named the "53" because the 5-man screens for the 3-man. Actually, both the 4-man and 5-man screen for the 3-man.

To start the play, the 1-man at the top of the key hits the 2-man on the wing. The 4-man sets a back screen for the 3-man, who starts at the weak-side wing. The 3-man cuts parallel to the baseline toward the opposite (which is the strong-side) block. Along the way, the 5-man sets what is basically a cross screen (since the 3-man is now cutting across the lane from the 4-man's spot) for the 3-man in the middle of the lane. Essentially, the 3-man is receiving staggered screens from the 4-man and 5-man. The 3-man posts on the strong-side block, where he should receive the pass, or he can catch a little further out and face up with space to operate if he is that type of player.

While this action happens, the 1-man slides toward the weak-side wing area (but not all the way to the wing) to balance the floor. After setting his screen, the 4-man cuts to the free-throw area to space the lane, and the 5-man occupies the weak-side block area (I think it actually works better if he occupies the weak-side short corner--this provides more space for the 3-man to operate and stresses the defense more).

The pass to the 3-man is made by the team's best shooter (ideally) so that, should his defender double the 3-man, he can slide open for an open three-pointer.

If the 5-man's defender doubles the 3-man, the 5-man should be open for a pass or should have excellent position for weak-side rebounding (This is why I prefer the weak-side short corner for the 5-man--it forces his defender to cover more ground in the play). If the 5-man's defender doubles and the 1-man's defender drops to cover the 5-man, the 1-man will be wide open if the 3-man sees him diagonally, and the 5-man will still have a mismatch in the post area.

If the defense doubles the 3-man with the 4-man's defender, then the 4-man is open for a 15-footer or a drive.

If the best shooter is the point guard/1-man (like when we had G-Mac), then we want him feeding the 3-man. This is a simple adjustment. The 1-man can just dribble to the opposite wing to start the play. The 2-man would circle cut to the top of the key and then slide toward the opposite wing, replacing the 1.

What if the 3-man isn't open off the initial stagger screens? No problem. The 5-man cross screens for the 3-again, who cuts to the opposite block. As this happens, the ball is reversed from the 2-man to the 4-man at the top of the key to the 1-man on the opposite side of the floor (or the 2-man if the 1-man dribbled to the wing to start the play). The 3-man will post on the block, and the 1-man will feed him. After feeding the 3-man, the 1-man can spot-up if his defender looks to double, or he can cut toward the opposite wing, perhaps setting a screen for the 2-man.

Though not really a part of our offense, one thing I would add to get more movement on the reversal is having the 4-man down screen for the 5-man after he reverses the ball. The 5-man then cuts to the free-throw line area, the 4-man fades to the weak-side block/short corner, and we have the same set up as before, just on the opposite side of the floor.

I hope this breakdown helps. :)

But...I was told JB just rolled the ball out there.
Only by people who don't know basketball. I maitain he is one of the greatest, if not the greatest offensive coach of his time. Exhibit A -Lawrence Moten

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom