The 'A' teams | Syracusefan.com

The 'A' teams

SWC75

Bored Historian
Looking at the College football playoff, we will obviously have an interest in the Clemson-Notre Dame game as we played both teams and it's probably going to be a more competitive game.

But the other semi-final has great historical interest. I hope it turns out to be a good game. College Football News has updated their all time cumulative AP poll numbers and look who is at the top of the list:
AP College Football Rankings: Greatest Programs Of All-Time .
The Sooners are going for their 8th AP national championship and the Tide is going for it's 12th.

The thing is they've never played each other with the national championship on the line:
Alabama vs Oklahoma 1869-2017
In 1963 there were no polls after the bowls and #1 Southern California was playing #2 Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl. Both schools were 'down' when the met in the Bluebonnet Bowl in 1970. The 2002 and 2003 games were regular season games when 'Bama was hon probation. The 2014 game was the first game after the "Kick Six" which put Auburn in the national championship game vs. Florida State. Saban's teams are all about the national title and when they are out of it, they are like Superman in the presence of kryptonite.

I call them the 'a' teams because they both have Native American names, (but not nick names) ending in 'a'. When I see both of them on the TV screen, I expect them to dominate, even when playing a strong rival like Texas or Nebraska, (in the Big 8 days), .or LSU, Florida, Georgia or Tennessee in the SEC. Some day I'd like to see the A teams face off with equally powerful teams in the championship game. I think this comes up short of that but it's still the most important game they've ever played against each other.

Looking at the College football playoff, we will obviously have an interest in the Clemson-Notre Dame game as we played both teams and it's probably going to be a more competitive game.

But the other semi-final has great historical interest. I hope it turns out to be a good game. College Football News has updated their all time cumulative AP poll numbers and look who is at the top of the list:
AP College Football Rankings: Greatest Programs Of All-Time .
The Sooners are going for their 8th AP national championship and the Tide is going for it's 12th.

The thing is they've never played each other with the national championship on the line:
Alabama vs Oklahoma 1869-2017
In 1963 there were no polls after the bowls and #1 Southern California was playing #2 Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl. Both schools were 'down' when the met in the Bluebonnet Bowl in 1970. The 2002 and 2003 games were regular season games when 'Bama was hon probation. The 2014 game was the first game after the "Kick Six" which put Auburn in the national championship game vs. Florida State. Saban's teams are all about the national title and when they are out of it, they are like Superman in the presence of kryptonite.

I call them the 'a' teams because they both have Native American names, (but not nick names) ending in 'a'. When I see both of them on the TV screen, I expect them to dominate, even when playing a strong rival like Texas or Nebraska, (in the Big 8 days), .or LSU, Florida, Georgia or Tennessee in the SEC. Some day I'd like to see the A teams face off with equally powerful teams in the championship game. I think this comes up short of that but it's still the most important game they've ever played against each other.
I prefer “E-teams”

SyracusE vs. a team that’s going to losE

I like the first A team better. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Jessica Biel but nobody plays B.A like Mr. T.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom