The ACC is an ... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The ACC is an ...

Yeah, Gonzaga was brutal. This team is not as good defensively but might be Tony’s best on offense.

We’ve got 4 guys averaging double digits, and another 3 who can on any night. I think this group can be Elite 8 level, with FF possible in the right bracket. We’re not as good as Gonzaga, Baylor, and maybe 2-3 others.

So you think you’re better than us?

BULLETIN BOARD!!

Yeah, Gonzaga was brutal. This team is not as good defensively but might be Tony’s best on offense.

We’ve got 4 guys averaging double digits, and another 3 who can on any night. I think this group can be Elite 8 level, with FF possible in the right bracket. We’re not as good as Gonzaga, Baylor, and maybe 2-3 others.

I agree with your comments about UVA's offense and defense but I think playing in the ACC this year will not be great prep for the NCAAT. The competition after the first round will elevate substantially from ACC level play. It's gonna be tough after that first round but u have a great coach and that's a big part of the battle.

A lot of teams have been clobbered by Gonzaga. Hard to imagine that FSU wouldn't have met the same fate. I'd take UVA on coaching alone over FSU.
FSU won the ACC last year and Hamilton is a hof candidate. Seems odd to make that statement given their recent success. Get a better imagination.

FSU won the ACC last year and Hamilton is a hof candidate. Seems odd to make that statement given their recent success. Get a better imagination.

In 33 years as a Head Coach, Hamilton has never been to the final four and has been to the Sweet 16 or beyond just four times. He has one regular season ACC title to his credit. Bennett has four regular season ACC titles, five sweet 16 visits or beyond and obviously has a national championship. And he accomplished all of that in less than half the time Hamilton has been coaching.

The coaching records between the two men are not remotely comparable. But Hamilton does have many more NIT appearances if you're impressed by that sort of thing.

Get a better clue.

Last edited:
In 33 years as a Head Coach, Hamilton has never been to the final four and has been to the Sweet 16 or beyond just four times. He has one regular season ACC title to his credit. Bennett has four regular season ACC titles, five sweet 16 visits or beyond and obviously has a national championship. And he accomplished all of that in less than half the time Hamilton has been coaching.

The coaching records between the two men are not remotely comparable. But Hamilton does have many more NIT appearances if you're impressed by that sort of thing.

Get a better clue.
They are comparable, you lack imagination, it's fine. What Bennett has done at UVA is great, but the job Hamilton has done at "football schools" is also great. And that greatness is going to be rewarded with entry into the HOF.

If you'd take UVA on coaching alone, you either don't know a lot about basketball, or have some other blinder which has formed that opinion.

They are comparable, you lack imagination, it's fine. What Bennett has done at UVA is great, but the job Hamilton has done at "football schools" is also great. And that greatness is going to be rewarded with entry into the HOF.

If you'd take UVA on coaching alone, you either don't know a lot about basketball, or have some other blinder which has formed that opinion.

What’s funny is that even if you applied this nonexistent criterion...he’d still be behind Rick Barnes.

"Some other blinder" - care to elaborate?

Oh so now Hamilton's inability to ever win regular season championships or go very far in the NCAAT is due to the fact that he coaches at a football school? Got it. In 33 years you'd think he'd accidentally stumble into a Final Four. As if UVA was rolling along in hoops prior to Bennett's arrival.

Look this is really a rather simple assessment. Although I'm not a fan of their style of play, Bennett is absolutely one of the top five coaches in the country. He can do more with less than just about anybody out there. To even try to compare Hamilton and Bennett is foolhardy imo. It would take fairy tale type imagination to believe that they are in any way comparable.

"Some other blinder" - care to elaborate?

Oh so now Hamilton's inability to ever win regular season championships or go very far in the NCAAT is due to the fact that he coaches at a football school? Got it. In 33 years you'd think he'd accidentally stumble into a Final Four. As if UVA was rolling along in hoops prior to Bennett's arrival.

Look this is really a rather simple assessment. Although I'm not a fan of their style of play, Bennett is absolutely one of the top five coaches in the country. He can do more with less than just about anybody out there. To even try to compare Hamilton and Bennett is foolhardy imo. It would take fairy tale type imagination to believe that they are in any way comparable.
I'm not dismissing Bennett's success at UVA, he's a great coach. My issue is with your dismissal of Hamilton and his success, especially recent success. What he has done in his college coaching career is definitely at the very least "comparable" to what Bennett has done. Has Bennett won more, sure. But we would never completely write off Cuse vs Duke due to coaching alone just bc K has won more than Jimmy. Leonard Hamilton is not some scrub who hasn't proven to be great at his job.

I'm not dismissing Bennett's success at UVA, he's a great coach. My issue is with your dismissal of Hamilton and his success, especially recent success. What he has done in his college coaching career is definitely at the very least "comparable" to what Bennett has done. Has Bennett won more, sure. But we would never completely write off Cuse vs Duke due to coaching alone just bc K has won more than Jimmy. Leonard Hamilton is not some scrub who hasn't proven to be great at his job.
Hamilton is known as a fantastic recruiter. He spots talent where others don’t. But he’s not a great in game coach. Not sure how he would be “nearing the Hall of Fame.” He’s a fine coach but in 30 years has been to the NCAA tourney 9 times. He’s nearing 600 wins...but the HOF?

Go back to what I originally said - based on coaching alone I would take UVA over FSU. He's the better coach, plain and simple. I'm not dismissing Hamilton though I'm not as impressed with his record as you are. I'm very impressed with Bennett as is most everybody else. For good reason. He's a great coach. Hamilton is a good coach. There's a difference.

Can anyone explain how/why the ACC imploded like this?
When your top dogs suck typically the rest of the conference isn’t going to step up.
Virginia is a top 4 NCAAT seed team.
The rest of the conference is 8-9 NCAAT tournament seed teams.

In the future.
Duke and UNC will get back to top 10.
Louisville will become a top 25 team.
Florida State will be fine in the future.
The ACC thought Syracuse would be a top 25 team.
ACC hoops will be fine in the future.

Go back to what I originally said - based on coaching alone I would take UVA over FSU. He's the better coach, plain and simple. I'm not dismissing Hamilton though I'm not as impressed with his record as you are. I'm very impressed with Bennett as is most everybody else. For good reason. He's a great coach. Hamilton is a good coach. There's a difference.
Fair, Tony Bennett is the better coach, although I'd argue it's closer than you make it out to be. Hamilton is also a great coach, and in all likelihood heading to the HOF, that's better than good.

I live on a golf course just outside of Charlottesville and get to watch UVA pretty closely. My big worry is a) their quick guard penetration and then a kick out to Hauser who is a great shooter and b) their guards dumping it into the foul line as a good zone attack does and then finding their legit 7 footer Huff underneath on the collapse. Huff could go for 20 and Hauser could also. Defensively they are not a smothering a defense as they have been in the past but they are really coming on. They’ve come a long way defensively since Gonzaga.

I would like us to use KR a lot tomorrow because we are going to need to try to penetrate their pack defense and also we’re going to need his quick hands and defensive skills to keep their guards from dumping down or penetrating. If they can get the ball into the foul line easily and then in to Huff on the baseline we’re gonna have a long night. I don’t see Marek being able to handle him underneath. He’s just too big and has really good footwork and a nice touch. He’s also a great three point shooter from the top of the e key. Huff is our bad mismatch.

Their biggest mismatches are going to be Guerrier, Griffin and Kadary. Really hoping he gets some good run.

Edit: by the way don’t expect our one on one stuff like we saw yesterday against VT to work tomorrow. Their help/hedge defense just won’t allow that. That said, if they are forced to doubleteam Guerrier or have trouble keeping Kadary from penetrating and Buddy or Alan are hitting from 3 thats their worst nightmare. Gonna be a lot of in game coaching adjustments needed to win this one.

Last edited:
JCP is the best player in the conference and Pitt is the best team in the conference. SU lost twice to the best team in the conference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom