The ACC need to guard UNC like a king in a game of chess | Syracusefan.com

The ACC need to guard UNC like a king in a game of chess

Marsh01

Living Legend
Heaven help that conference if Carolina leaves. I know football is the main driver here but let's all be realistic. The ACC move for us is all about basketball. You can say football but it's hoops. If Carolina leaves that would IMO decimate that conference from a basketball standpoint and I don't want to be left to put the band aids on everyone.

If unc leaves that means Virginia and or ga tech would probably leave. Or Clemson. Or fsu.

If I am the ACC that is my #1 priority right now outside of getting say uconn to join.

I don't even want to fathom what will happen if Carolina leaves.

UNC, UVA, and Duke are the nucleus of the ACC. They can hold the ACC together, if they so choose.

In the mean time add Louisville.

NC is not going anywhere. Just not going to happen.

I cannot fathom a scenario in which Duke and UNC ever split

Ever.

They need to guard FSU, Clemson, Miami, Virginia Tech and UNC. I don't think UVa would leave without another school going with it, and as long as none of those four leave, the ACC should be fine. If any one of them leaves, it'll be over. Since football drives everything, UNC is more of a get just because it'll set things in motion for everyone else to panic and leave. The others are gets because of their football prowess (now or traditionally).

Agree. While some are focusing on FSU, the premier football power in the conference leaving, the greater threat would be the B1G targeting UNC and UVA. They fit the academic profile and are logical geographic/market extensions. The threat also exits that the SEC could target VaTech and NC State. It seems to be pretty well documented that the SEC would not take FSU or Clemson since they duplicate existing SEC markets. Other than the BigXII, FSU appears to have no alternatives.

I can't see a UVA/VTech or UNC/Duke split, either. Football might drive expansion, but I think it's a different ball game when you start talking about UNC and Duke hoops.

Good Analogy, UNC is the King, Florida State is the Queen, Maryland was like losing a rook. Rooks are the 3rd most powerful piece, but you sacrifice a rook to keep the King/Queen. The ACC is dead like I have been saying today. The B1G forked the ACC by taking Maryland the only break they gave the conference was going Rutgers over Virginia as 14.

The B1G forked the ACC by taking Maryland the only break they gave the conference was going Rutgers over Virginia as 14.

I doubt that was a break - I would have to think they at least inquired, as Virginia would be a lot better for the B1G's ultimate plan than Rutgers.

Good Analogy, UNC is the King, Florida State is the Queen, Maryland was like losing a rook. Rooks are the 3rd most powerful piece, but you sacrifice a rook to keep the King/Queen. The ACC is dead like I have been saying today. The B1G forked the ACC by taking Maryland the only break they gave the conference was going Rutgers over Virginia as 14.

Maryland is a pawn. Rutgers is the doormat.

I doubt that was a break - I would have to think they at least inquired, as Virginia would be a lot better for the B1G's ultimate plan than Rutgers.
The Gov. won't split RPI and UVa.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

You need to protect the teams most vulnerable to defection. Thats not Carolina. Thats FSU (and Clemson). Carolina would be absolutely fine replacing Maryland with Louisville and moving forward.

You need to protect the teams most vulnerable to defection. Thats not Carolina. Thats FSU (and Clemson). Carolina would be absolutely fine replacing Maryland with Louisville and moving forward.

Oh i agree however i am at least a tad worried that someone mskes them an offer they cant refuse. The acc can survive if clemson and or fsu leaves. They cant if unc leaves.

Heaven help that conference if Carolina leaves. I know football is the main driver here but let's all be realistic. The ACC move for us is all about basketball. You can say football but it's hoops. If Carolina leaves that would IMO decimate that conference from a basketball standpoint and I don't want to be left to put the band aids on everyone.

If unc leaves that means Virginia and or ga tech would probably leave. Or Clemson. Or fsu.

If I am the ACC that is my #1 priority right now outside of getting say uconn to join.

I don't even want to fathom what will happen if Carolina leaves.

I've never thought for a moment that we joined the ACC for basketball? Why? The BE might be a better conference in basketball. In fact, I think it's deeper, much deeper. We joined the ACC for stability, money and to put our football program on better ground.

I think the ACC needs to guard Syracuse.

Oh i agree however i am at least a tad worried that someone mskes them an offer they cant refuse. The acc can survive if clemson and or fsu leaves. They cant if unc leaves.

If FSU and Clemson leaves, the ACC will be picked apart. Basically, if anybody else leaves, whether it be UNC/UVA or FSU/Clemson, the ACC is done.

If FSU and Clemson leaves, the ACC will be picked apart. Basically, if anybody else leaves, whether it be UNC/UVA or FSU/Clemson, the ACC is done.

And the there were 4 major conferences.

Remember, the Big Ten is looking at Rutgers and Maryland both as a collection of cable boxes. As a Virginia fan and alumn that is not an enjoyable existence at all, and I wouldn't want it for my school at all. I don't for the life of me think that Michigan State, Iowa, Illinois, or Minnesota fans have any interest in regular games with Maryland and Rutgers. I'm not sure even Penn State does.

I actually do think that the ACC is trying to put together the country's Eastern Conference like the PAC 12 is the country's western league. I like the whole concept. The Big Ten is coming in here to sell cable boxes literally.

Remember, the Big Ten is looking at Rutgers and Maryland both as a collection of cable boxes. As a Virginia fan and alumn that is not an enjoyable existence at all, and I wouldn't want it for my school at all. I don't for the life of me think that Michigan State, Iowa, Illinois, or Minnesota fans have any interest in regular games with Maryland and Rutgers. I'm not sure even Penn State does.

I actually do think that the ACC is trying to put together the country's Eastern Conference like the PAC 12 is the country's western league. I like the whole concept. The Big Ten is coming in here to sell cable boxes literally.
If the ACC is trying to build an eastern seaboard conference, they are failing. They could have locked up the NY market by adding Rutgers/UConn when they had a chance. Maryland doesn't bother me so much but Rutgers/Maryland is a big blow to any hopes of an east coast conference. Well see if the ACC is really serious about what you said when they make their next move. Louisville or UConn?

you are giving maryland way, way too much credit. There are a lot more valuable pieces on the ACC board than Maryland. They are much closer to a pawn than a rook.

ACC raided? With more to come?

in time you will find...

ACC raided? With more to come?

in time you will find...

Yeah because Cincinnati, Louisville, Connecticut, South Florida wouldn't have done what we did. This is about survival stop thinking SU didn't make the right decision.

I think it's about money, power, greed, control, and ego more than survival. If none of these conference changes were made everyone would still be "alive and kicking".

they could have saved a lot of time and trouble by just merging the Big East/ACC, the SEC/B10, and the B12/Pac12. Or something like that.