The ACC | Syracusefan.com

The ACC

NKR1978

Living Legend
1. SU should consider erecting a statue in honor of John Swofford. He's our institutional savior.
2. The 2003 realignment was such a huge clusterf***. It is clear that the ACC learned from that experience because every move since has been handled far more professionally.
3. And my favorite image from today:

8865331.jpeg

It's comforting and exciting to know that those institutions are likely going to be our rivals and partners for the foreseeable future. The ACC is the perfect home for Syracuse.

Next to the statue of Swofford should be one of Gross.

Some people on here downplay his role in getting us in the ACC a bit. But it's like being president when the economy is strong - you get the credit no matter if you deserve it or not.

Next to the statue of Swofford should be one of Gross.

Some people on here downplay his role in getting us in the ACC a bit. But it's like being president when the economy is strong - you get the credit no matter if you deserve it or not.

I think Gross, Cantor and the trustees that hired Gross had a vision of a successful athletic department across all sports. That really seemed to rub a lot of people the wrong way with long time unsuccessful coaches being fired and the swimming program being cut. Gross and Cantor have been great for SU athletics.

Gross needs to get people in the Dome for the football games. Should use his marketing might but we all know that starts with consistent winning seasons.

Gross needs to get people in the Dome for the football games. Should use his marketing might but we all know that starts with consistent winning seasons.

I think that is more of Scott Shafer's job. I believe we have the man for the job. Winning cures many ills.

TGD made one HUGE mistake right off the bat, but tough to question about any move since then. Facilities are getting better and we're highly competitive in almost every sport we play. Fine to argue the merits of playing games at Metlife, but to just sit back and not try something new and different doesn't make sense. I had a blast at the game last year FWIW.

As for Swofford, if you see him at a poker table, pick up your chips and get out.

I love how our 'S' is in the middle of the bottom row, just jumps right out out you

I noticed that too.

Sent using my Commodore 64

He's made many mistakes when it comes to Dome attendance. You don't announce USC in the Dome then say "psyche". You don't tell the most important piece of your fanbase that you're gonna play your biggest games in another state. His actions when it comes to local fans is no different than Buzz's words "get a life".

TGD made one HUGE mistake right off the bat, but tough to question about any move since then. Facilities are getting better and we're highly competitive in almost every sport we play. Fine to argue the merits of playing games at Metlife, but to just sit back and not try something new and different doesn't make sense. I had a blast at the game last year FWIW.

As for Swofford, if you see him at a poker table, pick up your chips and get out.

That huge mistake though was rectified. I don't think any of us could say the same if he didn't get us into one of the big conferences. That would be something we could not come back from. Bad coaches, though, come and go and many schools recover from them.

He's made many mistakes when it comes to Dome attendance. You don't announce USC in the Dome then say "psyche". You don't tell the most important piece of your fanbase that you're gonna play your biggest games in another state. His actions when it comes to local fans is no different than Buzz's words "get a life".

For the record, I'm sure he said something much smoother than psyche.

But now that we're in the ACC, he has to wind back some of that once stated MetLife commitment. ND series won't change at this point, but the rest have to be more like Penn State arrangements.

But now that we're in the ACC, he has to wind back some of that once stated MetLife commitment. ND series won't change at this point, but the rest have to be more like Penn State arrangements.

Agree 100%. a 1-1-1 deal is perfect. Have to keep in mind that we weren't coming from a negotiating position of strength when we made the original deals a few years ago.

Agree 100%. a 1-1-1 deal is perfect. Have to keep in mind that we weren't coming from a negotiating position of strength when we made the original deals a few years ago.

A 1-1 deal with a lesser but good team or exciting team like a Baylor, Boise, Mich St etc is better than an 0-2-2 deal with a ND.

When the MetLife deal was made, SU needed 5 OOC games a year.

Now we only need 4 games, and I'm sure that at least one of them will be an FCS / MAC / AAC team every season. We should be able to get some 1-1 deals with BCS teams East of the Mississippi.

Reactions: cto
A 1-1 deal with a lesser but good team or exciting team like a Baylor, Boise, Mich St etc is better than an 0-2-2 deal with a ND.

I don't like ties, agree with bees

But that wasn't the case when the ND deal was made. We may have to live with some pre-ACC commitments (even if the opponent is also now somewhat in the ACC), they won't last forever.

Also, I'm not sure any deal with a Boise is a good one. I don't think traveling out there really accomplishes anything. I can't imagine the Dome filling up to the rafters because Boise is in town. I'm not sure we should ever travel west of the Mississippi again. Maybe something in Texas, if we think we can land a few recruits because their talent pool is so deep.

But that wasn't the case when the ND deal was made. We may have to live with some pre-ACC commitments (even if the opponent is also now somewhat in the ACC), they won't last forever.

Also, I'm not sure any deal with a Boise is a good one. I don't think traveling out there really accomplishes anything. I can't imagine the Dome filling up to the rafters because Boise is in town. I'm not sure we should ever travel west of the Mississippi again. Maybe something in Texas, if we think we can land a few recruits because their talent pool is so deep.

Why wasn't it the case when the ND deal was made?

Maybe Boise is a bad example but I was using them for just that, an example.

I'm not entirely sure, but wasn't the MetLife commitment signed around the same time as the ACC announcement? I can't believe TGD didn't already have a good idea that we were headed to the ACC when he signed it.

I for one believe that SU should try to put one marquee game in MetLife every year, which can be critical for the long term success of SU and ACC. Look at the ACC, the south side is pretty settled with Chik-f-la kick off and several ACC-SEC in-state-rivalry games. ACC just needs to start win some of those games.
Now with Rutgers andMarylandin B10, it is important for ACC to work harder to make some splash in the northeast market, which SU can play an important role.
We should try to make future SU-ND games true neutral-site games at MetLife every three years. It will be great if we can arrange once every three years game at the MetLife with PSU. Then we can rotate the remaining 1/3 of MetLife game with WV, Rutgers,Miami, …
On top of the MetLife neutral site game, let’s build SU-BC Black Friday into something special.
With annual MetLife games and a couple of strong teams amongSU,BC, Pitt, andLouisville, ACC should be able to compete with B10 in the northeast.

wrong.

baylor?? :crazy:

boise?? :rolling:

mich st :(

nobody would care.

nd & NYC = buzz and excitement. recruiting plus'. alumni from around the country attending. $$$

you want 1 nd game at the Dome?? ok.

but to say a game in the dome v baylor is better than 1 in Giants Stadium v nd is poppycock.

Oh Lord

Why wasn't it the case when the ND deal was made?

Maybe Boise is a bad example but I was using them for just that, an example.

Because we were stuck in Crapville 8 team Big East, so the exposure of playing ND on national TV 4 times, even with two of the games in NYC, was worth it. Something you can sell to recruits. Alternative was no ND series at all.

We may disagree on that, but I think we do agree that a deal like that shouldn't happen going forward now that we're safely in one of the big boy conferences. One that allows us to drop our OOC schedule from 5 games to 4, among many other advantages.

wrong.

baylor?? :crazy:

boise?? :rolling:

mich st :(

nobody would care.

nd & NYC = buzz and excitement. recruiting plus'. alumni from around the country attending. $$$

you want 1 nd game at the Dome?? ok.

but to say a game in the dome v baylor is better than 1 in Giants Stadium v nd is poppycock.

Oh Lord

Usc worked out so well with attendance

Yes I am saying Baylor at the dome in a home and away series is better than a away and Metlife series with ND in context of the fanbase and some attendance and bringing it back. And yes, that is SU's #1 issue right now. This isn't a surprise to you, I've said it for several years.

I love the arguments from syracuse locals about games in metlife. All I know is if the clemson game isnt packed out, then that argument should officially be laid to rest.

I love the arguments from syracuse locals about games in metlife. All I know is if the clemson game isnt packed out, then that argument should officially be laid to rest.

You also can't go from 0 to 60 in 5 secs.

I also love the arguments from non locals who think Metlife is the way to go and then a top team comes in there and attendance was an embarrassment.