The ACC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

The ACC

Usc worked out so well with attendance

Yes I am saying Baylor at the dome in a home and away series is better than a away and Metlife series with ND in context of the fanbase and some attendance and bringing it back. And yes, that is SU's #1 issue right now. This isn't a surprise to you, I've said it for several years.

Sent using my Commodore 64

Keep going to bowl games and playing in more interesting games and winning and that attendance will get better. Personally I think that stadium is too much of a hassle but that's just me.

Some poster here made a Chik-Fil-A reference to the kickoff game in Atlanta...the idea of replicating that in NYC and having us be the feature does have some merit, assuming that we're pretty good.

As far as Baylor goes unless RG3 come back eh...when Cincy was Top 5 we really didnt get 30k in there.

You also can't go from 0 to 60 in 5 secs.

I also love the arguments from non locals who think Metlife is the way to go and then a top team comes in there and attendance was an embarrassment.

I'm hoping that the Penn State game is a different atmosphere, and not just because of the Penn State fans that will be there in greater #'s. Hindsight is 20/20, but heading in, that USC game had blowout written all over it. Penn State game has nothing similar for that build up. SU fans thinking they can actually win the game, and it being our most despised long time opponent, should help. Labor Day could be a problem though.

To the post you were replying to, I don't think the Clemson attendance at the Dome should have any impact on whether or not we play more at MetLife. I didn't like the USC deal. Penn State is very fair. And ND was, in my opinion based on timing, not a bad deal. The only thing that worries me about Penn State is that there will probably be a large enough sample of locals who don't take the time to understand that Penn State is a 1-1-1. So they will look at that game and say "Dome giveaway again!".

Usc worked out so well with attendance

Yes I am saying Baylor at the dome in a home and away series is better than a away and Metlife series with ND in context of the fanbase and some attendance and bringing it back. And yes, that is SU's #1 issue right now. This isn't a surprise to you, I've said it for several years.

its a surprise that you are still beating the wrong drum.

there is no reason to cross the mississippi.

and also, those are all nice complementary games to still be played at the Dome...or away, with ND on the schedule @ Giants Stadium.

again, usc was a stupid arse opponent and it still got likely the same crowd size that wouldve been at the Dome, but it came with all the advantages i listed above.

and if theres some meathead coaches out there that tell you theyd rather not play at Giants Stadium...well they think that way because theyre meatheads and their opinion on such matters should not be asked upon.

Oh Lord

Keep going to bowl games and playing in more interesting games and winning and that attendance will get better. Personally I think that stadium is too much of a hassle but that's just me.

Some poster here made a Chik-Fil-A reference to the kickoff game in Atlanta...the idea of replicating that in NYC and having us be the feature does have some merit, assuming that we're pretty good.

As far as Baylor goes unless RG3 come back eh...when Cincy was Top 5 we really didnt get 30k in there.

Don't focus on the name Baylor.

A 1-1 deal with a lesser but good team or exciting team like a Baylor, Boise, Mich St etc is better than an 0-2-2 deal with a ND.

You mean I am not the ONLY person on this board who believes this. I got hammered for this position on Friday.

Don't focus on the name Baylor.

Boise and Baylor (and MSU) were your examples, and those are really limited for us. Notre Dame at Giants Stadium is at least an event (heck, we're 2-1 against them in our last 3). Now with the conference switch I'd personally be happy just scheduling layups from this point forward.

We got 39.5k at Metlife for the TWO-RANKED(at the time) team in country. That is terrible. Pure and simple a failure. I said previously, Dr. Gross is a man of his word and signed the Metlife contract with ND and he is living up to his word, but beyond those 2 games I don't think he is going to schedule 0-2-2 series anymore. We don't need primere games at Metlife if you want to throw the downstate alumni a bone like the Celtics used to play a bunch of home games in Hartford during the Bird days fine play NC State or Louisville down at Metlife. Our new schedule with 4 OOC games should be 1 1-AA school, 1- B1G(non-RU)/SEC/Big XII team, 1 MAC/AAC school, and 1 rover game which can be where the coaching staff wants to recruit, or one of the preseason bowl games in Atlanta, Dallas, or maybe Metlife can create one. Playing ND on its terms is not necessary we are Syracuse not the University at Buffalo(sorry Trueblue25).

We got 39.5k at Metlife for the TWO-RANKED(at the time) team in country. That is terrible. Pure and simple a failure. I said previously, Dr. Gross is a man of his word and signed the Metlife contract with ND and he is living up to his word, but beyond those 2 games I don't think he is going to schedule 0-2-2 series anymore. We don't need primere games at Metlife if you want to throw the downstate alumni a bone like the Celtics used to play a bunch of home games in Hartford during the Bird days fine play NC State or Louisville down at Metlife. Our new schedule with 4 OOC games should be 1 1-AA school, 1- B1G(non-RU)/SEC/Big XII team, 1 MAC/AAC school, and 1 rover game which can be where the coaching staff wants to recruit, or one of the preseason bowl games in Atlanta, Dallas, or maybe Metlife can create one. Playing ND on its terms is not necessary we are Syracuse not the University at Buffalo(sorry Trueblue25).
Syracuse was on a 6 game losing streak, the staff was getting better odds to butt fumble the season than the jets were and the game still outdrew the home opener at the Dome from the week before.

there were tornado sightings, hail and torential rain fall, plus HS games that day (just for you cnyers) and still at least 200k people attended football games in Giants Stadium over a 5 day period that weekend too.

Syracuse will NEVER have a true home field advantage away from the Dome like it does for MSG games or other venues, its just not possible (right now...ill give myself an out) for football. hell, 30 pro football teams couldnt sell out Giants Stadium as a home team.

but thats not the goal, thats a shortsighted stupid position to take. WHO the Orange play is just as important as the where.

ped st will be much better attended game and hopefully the Orange can steal a win. game will be on a network and will get around 60k+.

that would be a HUGE victory for this new staff, much more important than winning on espn3 in front of 45k in cny.

Oh Lord

Attendance for the USC game was embarassing. Everyone I knew thought it'd be an epic blow out, and most did not attend because of that. Hell, half that crowd was USC fans. 20K SU fans at MetLife just doesn't work, no matter the "recruiting" angle.

Gross made a good decision to play games there when he did. That deal was announced well before the move to the ACC, and SU football was in desperation mode.

But now that we have a stable, viable home, we should look to get the hell out of our MetLife commitments.

Play the games in the Dome.

Syracuse was on a 6 game losing streak, the staff was getting better odds to butt fumble the season than the jets were and the game still outdrew the home opener at the Dome from the week before.

there were tornado sightings, hail and torential rain fall, plus HS games that day (just for you cnyers) and still at least 200k people attended football games in Giants Stadium over a 5 day period that weekend too.

Syracuse will NEVER have a true home field advantage at the Dome like it does for MSG games or other venues, its just not possible (right now...ill give myself an out) for football. hell, 30 pro football teams couldnt sell out Giants Stadium as a home team.

but thats not the goal, thats a shortsighted stupid position to take. WHO the Orange play is just as important as the where.

ped st will be much better attended game and hopefully the Orange can steal a win. game will be on a network and will get around 60k+.

that would be a HUGE victory for this new staff, much more important than winning on espn3 in front of 45k in cny.

Oh Lord

Just a side note: maybe you guys are giving this penn state team too much respect. I get the qb concerns but I dont think we will "steal a win". I just flat out think we'll win.

Syracuse will NEVER have a true home field advantage away from the Dome like it does for MSG games or other venues, its just not possible (right now...ill give myself an out) for football. hell, 30 pro football teams couldnt sell out Giants Stadium as a home team.

Oh Lord
I agree with your first statement. The second one I will concede weather played a small part, but the rest of your points are not shortsighted because if you are going to play a game at Metlife why should SU be responsible for putting a premiere home game there instead of at the Dome. If we can get a good opponent it will draw better, but SU isn't receiving anymore money if there are 39.5k there or 55k there, from what I was told SU contracted and sold games to Metlife. SU has a responsibility to schedule games there and I am sure they have an written agreement the games won't be against 1-AA opponents, but the contract doesn't say you have to play top BCS competition. SU-ND series happened because SU needed the $$$ at the time since we were stuck in the Big East and ND wouldn't play us at the Dome, but would at Metlife. SU got some nice $$$ from Metlife and Dr. Gross realized it was a smart business decision. The game against the Cult of Joe this year is a homerun because again I was told the Metlife people cut two 7 figure check one to each SU and PSU to play the game there. I expect 50k Nitties there (as they are ineligible for the postseason again and this is their bowl game in the NY area) and 20-25k SU fans.

If we play a game in Metlife against Louisville who is a brand name but not an elite brand name or NC State same situation the game should draw 30-50k at Metlife depending on the teams records, and that is good enough to fulfill the Metlife contract that Dr. Gross signed and should get the downstate NY/NJ SU fans to the game. If we can start the season at Metlife EACH year and get an arrangement like are getting this year where its a neutral site game and both teams get paid from the Metlife people I would sign that agreement today.

Clemson is homecoming. If we are 4-0 or 3-1 that game should sell out.

A home and home with any of these I feel like would be good for Syracuse:

Michigan
WVU
Auburn

Bring back the lesser known rivalry with Auburn.