The ACC's Days Are Numbered | Syracusefan.com

The ACC's Days Are Numbered

No worries - the timeline for the death of the ACC will be constrained by the Mayan calendar.
Just a quick FYI. Archeologists found a new Mayan ruin and within it were calendar calculations that go 6000 years into the future! So, we are all golden here on earth.

But man, with the ACC, we may be SOL.

Just a quick FYI. Archeologists found a new Mayan ruin and within it were calendar calculations that go 6000 years into the future! So, we are all golden here on earth.

But man, with the ACC, we may be SOL.
It should also be noted that areas that were considered Mayan are now Southern Mexico. The main language in Mexico is Spanish, which is similar to Portugese. Because this is the first languge of Fab Melo, any games played in this area will be considered a home game for Syracuse.

Nice hit piece full of distortions and half-truths. Just accentuate the negatives and ignore the positives that don't fit your case. This is what passes for journalism today. Did the writer attend a Big XII school?

It should also be noted that areas that were considered Mayan are now Southern Mexico. The main language in Mexico is Spanish, which is similar to Portugese. Because this is the first languge of Fab Melo, any games played in this area will be considered a home game for Syracuse.
Basically, yeah.

Also all games in Florida and North Carolina will be home games, because of so many transplanted new yorkers.

Well he is pretty experienced.

About Me

"I report on the business of sports for Forbes' SportsMoney group. I had the pleasure of completing a Summer Internship with Forbes while in college, and I have previously worked on projects that analyzed the business of the NFL, Formula One racing, and the IPL cricket league. Studying sports business interests me as both a writer and a sports fan, and I've found that digging through financial reports is often just as enjoyable as combing a box score."

Well he is pretty experienced.

About Me

"I report on the business of sports for Forbes' SportsMoney group. I had the pleasure of completing a Summer Internship with Forbes while in college, and I have previously worked on projects that analyzed the business of the NFL, Formula One racing, and the IPL cricket league. Studying sports business interests me as both a writer and a sports fan, and I've found that digging through financial reports is often just as enjoyable as combing a box score."

He should add "I also like to report rumors as facts in the hope that someone will hire me as a real journalist."

Finally, Clemson and Virginia Tech are essentially the only schools in addition to Florida State that have a real chance of reaching a BCS bowl in the near future. Had either of them not been in the ACC last season – Clemson and Virginia Tech went to the Orange Bowl and Sugar Bowl, respectively – the conference would have missed out on about $5 million in post-season revenue.

That is such a stupid statement. If Clemson and VT had not been in the ACC last year, someone ELSE in the conference would have won the conference and gone to the BCS bowl game.

I still think it's funny that Florida State would believe that joining a conference with Texas and Oklahoma would make it EASIER for them to return to glory.

I still think it's funny that Florida State would believe that joining a conference with Texas and Oklahoma would make it EASIER for them to return to glory.

That's not the issue. The issue is that the other conferences are lining up what looks like a 4 conference playoff for the national championship, and the ACC is the 5th conference.

That's not the issue. The issue is that the other conferences are lining up what looks like a 4 conference playoff for the national championship, and the ACC is the 5th conference.

I still don't see how that helps FSU. If you're taking the four highest ranked conference champions, how does being in the same league as Texas and Oklahoma get you there?

I still don't see how that helps FSU. If you're taking the four highest ranked conference champions, how does being in the same league as Texas and Oklahoma get you there?

It won't be about ranking. You don't seem to be getting this. These 4 leagues are lining up to create a playoff of their champions, without the ACC, Big East, Mountain West, C-USA, and whatever other leagues are out there fighting for attention. There will be no more BCS, no more computer rankings - essentially an 8 team playoff, starting with the 4 conference championship games, then Big 12 v. SEC in the Sugar Bowl as one semi-final, and the Pac-10 v. Big 10 in the Rose Bowl as the other semi-final. Then the championship game to be held somewhere else, likely on a rotating basis.

It won't be about ranking. You don't seem to be getting this. These 4 leagues are lining up to create a playoff of their champions, without the ACC, Big East, Mountain West, C-USA, and whatever other leagues are out there fighting for attention. There will be no more BCS, no more computer rankings - essentially an 8 team playoff, starting with the 4 conference championship games, then Big 12 v. SEC in the Sugar Bowl as one semi-final, and the Pac-10 v. Big 10 in the Rose Bowl as the other semi-final. Then the championship game to be held somewhere else, likely on a rotating basis.

I thought you were talking about the playoff model that's being currently discussed.

I think the four 16 team superconfernces that abolish the BCS is a product of the media and the active imaginations of message boards. But that's just me.

I thought you were talking about the playoff model that's being currently discussed.

I think the four 16 team superconfernces that abolish the BCS is a product of the media and the active imaginations of message boards. But that's just me.
More likely walk away from the NCAA and do their own thing.

No where do I see that being discussed. What I DO see being discussed is a 4-team playoff with the 4 highest rated teams (The SEC preference). The other option being thrown out there is 4 conference champions. (Presumably the highest 4 ranked champions.) No where, other than amongst the premature posts of persons permeated with panic, is anyone talking about setting up a 4-team playoff of the SEC/B10/PAC12/B12. The agreement between the SEC and the B12 for their champions to play each other in the event they don't qualify for the playoff, has nothing to do with the other thing. Do you really think that the SEC champion is not going to be ranked in the Top 4?

Of course, if you're the ACC, you want the highest ranked league champions to play each other.

He should add "I also like to report rumors as facts in the hope that someone will hire me as a real journalist."

ESPN better grab this guy before the Bleacher Report hires him.

Finally, Clemson and Virginia Tech are essentially the only schools in addition to Florida State that have a real chance of reaching a BCS bowl in the near future. Had either of them not been in the ACC last season – Clemson and Virginia Tech went to the Orange Bowl and Sugar Bowl, respectively – the conference would have missed out on about $5 million in post-season revenue.

That is such a stupid statement. If Clemson and VT had not been in the ACC last year, someone ELSE in the conference would have won the conference and gone to the BCS bowl game.

Yes but I think the point was last year the ACC put 2 teams in BCS games; if those two teams were gone then it would seem likely they'd only get one in.

[quote =premature posts of persons permeated with panic, .[/quote]

Nice alliteration

[quote =premature posts of persons permeated with panic, .

Nice alliteration[/quote]

Aaron Altman: A lot of alliterations from anxious anchors placed in powerful posts!

There's really no telling how any of this will shake out.

But it would seem to put a little fire under SU to try to somehow make good on it's slogan of being New York's college team (meaning New York City for purposes of this post...because that's the TV market that counts).
In terms of local NYC media attention...for football...Rutgers comes closest to filling that niche now.
For basketball it's still St. John's...and the Orange move to the ACC is effectively an abandonment of NYC-area alumni.

Not good marketing no matter how you want to look at it.

The entire point of all this realignment is to break away from the NCAA. Beyond the fact that the NCAA is a complete clownshoe organization, schools just want to make more money.

Well maybe SU and Duke can play a non conference game at MSG this season to introduce NYC to the new league.