The Adrian Autry Show before Louisville II | Syracusefan.com

The Adrian Autry Show before Louisville II

SWC75

Bored Historian
Coach Autry’s radio show is on Thursdays, (Wednesdays until the Dino Babers Show ends) from 7-8:30PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show is at Carrabba's Italian Grill at 550 Towne Drive, Fayetteville, NY. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. They are again doing a third half hour segment on Twitch: I think I will save myself some time by posting the main show and linking the Twitch segment the next day when it shows up on You-Tube.

Their schedule: AmeriCU Adrian Autry Show Starts Nov. 7 - Syracuse University Athletics
(Their last show of the year will be on March 7th)

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics The choice, finally is the “Adrian Autry Show” or the “Fran Brown Show”!
Or on Twitter at https://twitter.com/MattPark1 or Twitter (@CuseLearfield) using the hashtag #AskAutry.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometimes simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | Live News, Sports, Music, Audiobooks, and Podcasts If not, try: https://cuse.com/watch?Live=6575&type=Live

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

“Coach, Gerry McNamara filled in last week. He was asked during the ‘Twitch’ segment what can be done to help a player mired in a shooting slump. We never heard the answer due to a technical problem so could you answer that question for us?

On Twitch I will ask: “Coach, what can be done to give Maliq Brown some help covering the other team’s big man inside?”

COACH AUTRY
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning.)

Matt started by summarizing the current situation: We’ve won our last three games and scored 84+ points in each. We had a great tribute to Jim Boeheim where he could look on a current staff of nothing but players he had coached, (except for Brenden Straughn). SU can win 20 games and will have at least a .500 record in the ACC. If we win these last two games we could get the double bye for the ACC tournament, which will begin the week after next.

Coach Autry arrived with “big piece of birthday cake that should give you your sugar rush for the day”. Coach acknowledged that he was born on February 29, 1972 but normally celebrates his birthday on the 28th.

Matt asked the “state of the union”, the union being the team: “Our offense is improved. Our defense is still a work in progress. The team is learning how to win. They are playing their best basketball at the right time of year.” Matt suggested that a team’s defense and their work on the boards is “always a work in progress” and the coach agreed. “What’s on the top of your mind for the last two games? AA: “They are both very physical opponents. We have to do what we have been doing on offense, keep battling on defense and the boards. The other team has good players so they are going to score, too. (Notre Dame’s) Marcus Burden is a problem and will continue to be. In any college game, people are going to make a run. We missed a couple of easy shots and some free throws or we could have had a 9 point win. But a win is a win.” Matt noted that “margin of victory is a small part of the NET”. AA: “This is not like the beginning of the season. Coaches put the best players on the court. They are battling for spots in the tournament or for pride. The greatest thing about the ACC is that teams can just go in and win the tournament. I’m confident about our team. We’ve got 10 wins in one of the best leagues in college basketball. We’ve beaten some really good teams, tournament teams.”

I called in and congratulated the coach on his 13th birthday and suggested that he must be the youngest coach in the country. That got a laugh from both he and Matt. I then noted that Justin Taylor had left, after starting, with the team leading for five straight games so he couldn’t be too much of a liability. I then told the Coach of the technical glitch for the Twitch segment last week that deprived us of GMAC’s answer about what can be done to pull a player out of a shooting slump. I said I had it on good authority that it was not Paulie’s, (Scibila, their producer), fault, the ‘good authority’ being Paulie. That got another laugh.

Coach Autry’s answer had two parts: “You have to put the work in. I believe work breeds confidence. Also, we talk to him about being a mover: make cuts. Make free throws. Try to focus on the other stuff.” I asked if the arc of his shots is a bit too high. “Steph Curry has a high ark. Others throw line drives. Everybody’s different. What counts is what’s effective.” Matt said that the staff was “grinding out solutions for players. They’ve engaged Maliq Brown on the offensive end, using his passing ability.” AA: “Our guards command so much attention that putting pressure on the basket loosens it up.”

Matt asked the coach if he had familiarized himself with next year’s opponents, who got announced today. Coach said he hadn’t had much time to think about it. MP: “In past years road games were all in Carolina or none. Next year we’ll be on the big bird quite a lot, taking the farthest trips you can in the conference. But Duke and Carolina come to the Dome.” AA: “At least they gave us that.” Matt noted that we will be playing all the new teams on the road. AA: “We have to play them anyway. I look forward to the challenges.” Matt: “Dallas is not much father than Maimi.”

Jack from Syracuse called in to wish the coach a happy birthday and to congratulate him on being 30 (?) “We do we stand with the NCAA?” [It was assumed that he meant the tournament.] AA: “We’ve got to win some games.” MP: “Fans and outsiders like people on talk shows find it hard to believe you just know you’ve got a game Saturday and you’ve got to win it.” [Actually that’s true all season. The only thin you can do to achieve any goal is to win games. And the only game you can win is the next one. No coach ever told his team that the game they are about to play doesn’t matter but the one next week is really important. Like Al Davis said: “Just win, baby.”]

Matt played a couple of radio highlights from the game: Copeland’s dunk and a Judah score. “He had 29 points but everybody was a star.” Then they did their “Around the ACC” segment. Matt erroneously said that U of Miami had beaten Duke 75-71, (Duke won by that score). The Canes have had a disappointing season. They were expected to contend for the conference championship and were 9-2 when the conference season began. They are now 15-14 and 6-12 in conference. Clemson beat Pitt 69-62. Notre Dame beat Wake, 70-65, Burden scoring 31 points. Florida State beat NC State 90-83.

Mike in Manlius announced that “we are all praying for the team in the home stretch.” [I hope somebody is praying for the other team, too.]

Two people submitted questions from Carrabba’s Jared wanted to know our chances for the tourney. AA: “I know we’ve got to win some games. The exciting thing is that we’ve got a chance.” Brittany wondered if we would be scheduling Lemoyne now that they are a division 1 team. AA: “We’ll consider that. We’ve always played local schools.” Then she wanted to know who in the ACC “profile as pros”. I’m not sure she meant have the best chance to make it in the NBA or are most likely to leave for the NBA, although that may be the same thing. Coach cited Kyle Filipowski of Duke, who is “what a big man looks like these days”, Hunter Silas of Wake Forest, PJ Hall of Clemson, Ryan Dunn of Virginia and “Judah Mintz will have a chance. In the NBA you never know. We have a talented league. We have the most pros in the NBA.”

Harry from New York called to congratulate the coach on a good season. He said he’s bene following the team “since Jim Boeheim was in the Big East. I’m real proud.” He wanted to know about the future of our 7-4 center. Adrian at first said “He won’t be back” but then added “this year. I think he’ll be back next season. We’ll need some healthy bodies but we’ll make do.”

What does Coach think of court storming? “I’m for it. It’s part of college. There will be changes but we have to keep our fabric. You have to manage it. We knew it was coming.” Matt noted that Wake didn’t have a designated student section. “They didn’t know it was coming. Syracuse practiced rehearsed it and organized it.” AA: “We use it to recruit players.”

On Louisville: “We beat them by 2. They are physical inside and on the glass and made shots. It’s always difficult at Clemson. They can score inside and out with PJ and Joe. We’ve got to prepare for them.”

The Twitch segment was the Challenger setting the Hindenburg aflame so it would crash onto the Titanic. It started 6 minutes late. Gomez and the coach could be seen but not heard. They tried moving the camera, which removed half of Gomez from the picture. Eventually, they went to the ‘technical difficulties’ screen, then came back but again nothing could be heard. The guy at the station, Jodan Capozzi, wrong in the chat that we should blame it on him because they were in such a rush being late, that thy didn’t check if the audio was in good shape. The production company, Learfield Communications, had a faulty audio hook up. I asked Jordan if he could figure out a way to blame it on Paulie but he was unable to. They never got it fixed. No recording of what was said was made and there will be no Twitch segment on You-Tube.

What does Coach think of court storming? “I’m for it. It’s part of college. There will be changes but we have to keep our fabric. You have to manage it. We knew it was coming.” Matt noted that Wake didn’t have a designated student section. “They didn’t know it was coming. Syracuse practiced rehearsed it and organized it.” AA: “We use it to recruit players.”
There, it's settled. If Red likes it, I like it.

It’s not like it’s impossible to control, as he said. And college sports is the opposite of “cool.” Kids are excited and exuberant. I love it! However, all stadiums need to prepare for the possibility.

Steve:
I haven't thanked you this year for all you do. Thanks again. One of these days, we'll have to get together for coffee or a game of chess. Knowing you, probably 4D.

Steve:
I haven't thanked you this year for all you do. Thanks again. One of these days, we'll have to get together for coffee or a game of chess. Knowing you, probably 4D.

I'm a tea guy and haven't played chess in years. But thanks for the thought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom