The Adrian Autry Show - before Niagara | Syracusefan.com

The Adrian Autry Show - before Niagara

SWC75

Bored Historian
Coach Autry’s radio show is on Thursdays, (Wednesdays until the Dino Babers Show ends) from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show is at Carrabba's Italian Grill at 550 Towne Drive, Fayetteville, NY. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which usually begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality. Last year they did a third half hour segment on Twitch.
Their schedule: AmeriCU Adrian Autry Show Starts Nov. 7 - Syracuse University Athletics

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics Someday they will get around to switching it from the "Jim Boeheim Show" to "The Adrian Autry Show", although it would be fun to have both.
Or on Twitter at https://twitter.com/MattPark1 or Twitter (@CuseLearfield) using the hashtag #AskAutry.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometimes simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | Live News, Sports, Music, Audiobooks, and Podcasts
If not, try: https://cuse.com/watch?Live=6575&type=Live

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

“Coach, We are playing well but have had a tendency to get off to slow starts and then get going when Copeland and Brown come in. Have we reached the point where you might start them to avoid the slow starts?”

COACH AUTRY
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning.)

Coach Autry said “The games have bene coming fast. This is the last one before the Christmas break. We’re back in the Dome.” Tim Leonard, (sitting in for Matt Park who is in Boca Raton. Who can blame him?), said “You don’t want to go to Sioux Falls and not win.” AA: When I played here, we won on the road. It’s a trait of the good teams. You have to win on the road to be a tournament team. That’s why it’s part of the process they use now. But even before the process, it mattered. I like challenging yourself to go on the road to places like Maui and Sioux Falls. It’s good for our team and program. This is what college basketball is now.” TL said that fans were waiting on the concourse to get autographs for the team. AA: “Our guys will remember that. I walked around a bit and the people were very friendly. There were some people there who have always been SU fans who have never been here for a game and this was their chance to see the team. This was their Super Bowl.”

Coach Autry: “We’ve been off to slow starts. But we play hard, making it tough for the other teams. We get transaction highlight, energizing plays. Once we got out front, we stuck to our game plan.” Leonard mentioned our “disjointed start. I thought the teams might shoot well, (in the smaller arena), but that didn’t happen. But once you team settled down, it was a highlight reel.” AA: “We got the shots we wanted.”

Coach Autry was impressed with the Syracuse fans that were there. “We kept hearing ‘Let Go Orange!’ [LGO!] There are Orange fans everywhere.”

TL: “You got contributions up and down the roster.” AA: “Competition is good. Depth is really good. This is how I envisioned the program, with 8, 9, 10 people involved and buying into that.” [I’m picturing AA sitting next to JB all those years, thinking of what he would do if he was coach and it wasn’t the same thing.] TL: “44 bench points, the most against a D1 opponent in 8 years, (we had the same vs. Chaminade). You had a great game in three-point defense against an Oregon team that came in shooting 38%.” AA: “They had a high percentage, but they didn’t shoot it a lot. They were balanced.” TL: “LSU, Georgetown and Oregon all were shooting a high percentage from three and they shot a combined 11 for 75 against your team.” AA: “We rebounded well, too. That’s two stats we harp on: defense and rebounding. Thery are buying into it a little bit more.”

After a break, I called in with my question. AA: “No, I’m not at the point of making changes. We’ve had games where we started just fine. A 30 game season is a long body of work. You’re going to have some bad games and some good games. There will be good and bad. That just happens. If someone is having a bad game, we have the ability to find someone who can come in and help us. We had a fast start at Virginia. Slow starts are not a trend. And we’re winning. Eight wins in 11 games with the losses all beign to ranked teams. Some of our wins will look better as the season progresses. It’s really exciting about how we’re jelling as a team. Rather than making changes we want to get better.”

TL: “It’s like you have two starting line-ups.” AA: I’m always looking for the best 5 guys who are playing well to get back into the game or to put one out of reach. Sometimes it involves one sub, sometimes two. We can go big, small or really small.” [Midgets?] TL: “Versatile players give you options.” AA: “We could even use Benny Williams at the 5.” TL: “He was attacking the basket well.” AA: “He was locked in, really, engaged. He had a couple of big time defensive rotations, one just before the half. I’m watching film right now is really insightful. We still have room to get better defensively. On offense I look for assists and avoiding turnovers, which we had too many of but we got some back. Defensively, I want to see who has awareness. You’ve got to prepare for perfection.”

Coach was asked about Greg Paulus. “I know him and I know about him. He has had a lot to deal with, losing players through the transfer portal. Coaches have to adjust to the portal have to be prepared. ” TL noted a big loss was Noah Thompson who had averaged 19.5 points for last year’s team. Paulus went into the portal himself to bring in 8 new players. They gave Notre Dame a good battle in their opener, (63-70). [And they’ve gone 3-6 since.] They just lost to Binghamton, 69-74, where Symir Torrance – remember him? – is “doing well”. 9.9p 6.2r (?) 6.7a per game. AA: “Their record isn’t as good as their team is. [ask Bill Parcells] “His teams never stop playing hard. He was always tough as a player and gave it all he had.” I know what you’re thinking:

“We’ve got to stay focused and ready to play. They need to ‘stay here’ before going home.”

TL: You’ve said that each game is the best game we’ve played. I like the trend.”

They discussed the women’s team and “Coach Jack”. AA: “Coach Jack works a couple of offices down from me and I can feel here energy as soon as she gets off the elevator. You’d better be a fighter to play for her. Coach Jack is always asking about our team and what’s going on with the football team. She’s the biggest SU fan there is.” TL: “Dyaisha Fair has almost 3,000 points, (2,883), and is now the 21st leading scorer in women’s NCAA history. And Georgia Woolley has almost 1,000 points, (981). Her family came over to see her play for the first time. She scored a career high 23 points.” AA: “That’s the way to thank your parents.”

A final word on the Niagara game: TL: “In the 60’s and 70’s, it was a real rivalry.” [Hopefully, Calvin Murphy won’t be showing up.] AA: They are balanced and have good guards, including a 5-10 guard who’s really quick. (Ahmad Henderson II 15.2ppg) and 7 foot center (Harlan Obioha 7-0 280 13.8p 12.8r). They are a big team for that level.” TL said that they avoid turnovers, 7 vs. Binghamton and 10 per game. AA: “That’s good, considering their pace of play. They have good players who know how to dribble and pass. I like having a lot of possessions. It works for us. But we can play any way.“

I was the only caller, probably because the show was done on a Wednesday and people may have thought there would be no show this week due to the Thursday game.

I liked your question and wish he had answered it another way, like “Yes! I am going to change out the starters and when Boeheim was the coach I kept thinking how I would do thing differently and blah blah blah.” ;)

I liked your question and wish he had answered it another way, like “Yes! I am going to change out the starters and when Boeheim was the coach I kept thinking how I would do thing differently and blah blah blah.” ;)
Why would he publicly bad mouth the person who gave him the opportunity to be the head coach? Bet Scheyer of Duke had his own thoughts that differed from his head coach while working under Coach K too plus our current assistants may differ from Red on some issues at times too. JB told him to coach as he believes and to be his own person and we’re seeing it. You learn and don’t just copy or clone from your predecessor even in business.

There’s a small argument to be made to replace Mcleod in the lineup with Brown, but that’s really it.

Our best lineup frI’m a net rating perspective is Mintz/JJ/Q/Taylor/Maliq, but it hasn’t had a lot of minutes together.

The lineup that has played the most outside of the starters is Mintz/JJ/Bell/Taylor/Brown and it’s plus 15 over 100 possessions.

McLeod probably will start all year and that’s fine. I think Red has done a great job managing the chemistry of the team despite some belly aching he’s not playing the right guys and the numbers back that up.

Why would he publicly bad mouth the person who gave him the opportunity to be the head coach? Bet Scheyer of Duke had his own thoughts that differed from his head coach while working under Coach K too plus our current assistants may differ from Red on some issues at times too. JB told him to coach as he believes and to be his own person and we’re seeing it. You learn and don’t just copy or clone from your predecessor even in business.

I think beadle is just not well versed in the use of the sarcasm font

Cherie, you are absolutely correct! I wasn’t thinking it through. (Who? Moi?)

There’s a small argument to be made to replace Mcleod in the lineup with Brown, but that’s really it.

Our best lineup frI’m a net rating perspective is Mintz/JJ/Q/Taylor/Maliq, but it hasn’t had a lot of minutes together.

The lineup that has played the most outside of the starters is Mintz/JJ/Bell/Taylor/Brown and it’s plus 15 over 100 possessions.

McLeod probably will start all year and that’s fine. I think Red has done a great job managing the chemistry of the team despite some belly aching he’s not playing the right guys and the numbers back that up.
I'm fine with McLeod starting. If he's ineffective or the matchup for him seems like a bad one, Red can get him out of there quickly. If he can buy you some significant minutes at the start of the game, all the better. He just doesn't seem like the kind of player that you can insert off the bench and give you a spark, at least for now.

Thanks,
Coach Autry’s radio show is on Thursdays, (Wednesdays until the Dino Babers Show ends) from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show is at Carrabba's Italian Grill at 550 Towne Drive, Fayetteville, NY. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which usually begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality. Last year they did a third half hour segment on Twitch.
Their schedule: AmeriCU Adrian Autry Show Starts Nov. 7 - Syracuse University Athletics

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics Someday they will get around to switching it from the "Jim Boeheim Show" to "The Adrian Autry Show", although it would be fun to have both.
Or on Twitter at https://twitter.com/MattPark1 or Twitter (@CuseLearfield) using the hashtag #AskAutry.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometimes simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | Live News, Sports, Music, Audiobooks, and Podcasts
If not, try: https://cuse.com/watch?Live=6575&type=Live

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

“Coach, We are playing well but have had a tendency to get off to slow starts and then get going when Copeland and Brown come in. Have we reached the point where you might start them to avoid the slow starts?”

COACH AUTRY
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning.)

Coach Autry said “The games have bene coming fast. This is the last one before the Christmas break. We’re back in the Dome.” Tim Leonard, (sitting in for Matt Park who is in Boca Raton. Who can blame him?), said “You don’t want to go to Sioux Falls and not win.” AA: When I played here, we won on the road. It’s a trait of the good teams. You have to win on the road to be a tournament team. That’s why it’s part of the process they use now. But even before the process, it mattered. I like challenging yourself to go on the road to places like Maui and Sioux Falls. It’s good for our team and program. This is what college basketball is now.” TL said that fans were waiting on the concourse to get autographs for the team. AA: “Our guys will remember that. I walked around a bit and the people were very friendly. There were some people there who have always been SU fans who have never been here for a game and this was their chance to see the team. This was their Super Bowl.”

Coach Autry: “We’ve been off to slow starts. But we play hard, making it tough for the other teams. We get transaction highlight, energizing plays. Once we got out front, we stuck to our game plan.” Leonard mentioned our “disjointed start. I thought the teams might shoot well, (in the smaller arena), but that didn’t happen. But once you team settled down, it was a highlight reel.” AA: “We got the shots we wanted.”

Coach Autry was impressed with the Syracuse fans that were there. “We kept hearing ‘Let Go Orange!’ [LGO!] There are Orange fans everywhere.”

TL: “You got contributions up and down the roster.” AA: “Competition is good. Depth is really good. This is how I envisioned the program, with 8, 9, 10 people involved and buying into that.” [I’m picturing AA sitting next to JB all those years, thinking of what he would do if he was coach and it wasn’t the same thing.] TL: “44 bench points, the most against a D1 opponent in 8 years, (we had the same vs. Chaminade). You had a great game in three-point defense against an Oregon team that came in shooting 38%.” AA: “They had a high percentage, but they didn’t shoot it a lot. They were balanced.” TL: “LSU, Georgetown and Oregon all were shooting a high percentage from three and they shot a combined 11 for 75 against your team.” AA: “We rebounded well, too. That’s two stats we harp on: defense and rebounding. Thery are buying into it a little bit more.”

After a break, I called in with my question. AA: “No, I’m not at the point of making changes. We’ve had games where we started just fine. A 30 game season is a long body of work. You’re going to have some bad games and some good games. There will be good and bad. That just happens. If someone is having a bad game, we have the ability to find someone who can come in and help us. We had a fast start at Virginia. Slow starts are not a trend. And we’re winning. Eight wins in 11 games with the losses all beign to ranked teams. Some of our wins will look better as the season progresses. It’s really exciting about how we’re jelling as a team. Rather than making changes we want to get better.”

TL: “It’s like you have two starting line-ups.” AA: I’m always looking for the best 5 guys who are playing well to get back into the game or to put one out of reach. Sometimes it involves one sub, sometimes two. We can go big, small or really small.” [Midgets?] TL: “Versatile players give you options.” AA: “We could even use Benny Williams at the 5.” TL: “He was attacking the basket well.” AA: “He was locked in, really, engaged. He had a couple of big time defensive rotations, one just before the half. I’m watching film right now is really insightful. We still have room to get better defensively. On offense I look for assists and avoiding turnovers, which we had too many of but we got some back. Defensively, I want to see who has awareness. You’ve got to prepare for perfection.”

Coach was asked about Greg Paulus. “I know him and I know about him. He has had a lot to deal with, losing players through the transfer portal. Coaches have to adjust to the portal have to be prepared. ” TL noted a big loss was Noah Thompson who had averaged 19.5 points for last year’s team. Paulus went into the portal himself to bring in 8 new players. They gave Notre Dame a good battle in their opener, (63-70). [And they’ve gone 3-6 since.] They just lost to Binghamton, 69-74, where Symir Torrance – remember him? – is “doing well”. 9.9p 6.2r (?) 6.7a per game. AA: “Their record isn’t as good as their team is. [ask Bill Parcells] “His teams never stop playing hard. He was always tough as a player and gave it all he had.” I know what you’re thinking:

“We’ve got to stay focused and ready to play. They need to ‘stay here’ before going home.”

TL: You’ve said that each game is the best game we’ve played. I like the trend.”

They discussed the women’s team and “Coach Jack”. AA: “Coach Jack works a couple of offices down from me and I can feel here energy as soon as she gets off the elevator. You’d better be a fighter to play for her. Coach Jack is always asking about our team and what’s going on with the football team. She’s the biggest SU fan there is.” TL: “Dyaisha Fair has almost 3,000 points, (2,883), and is now the 21st leading scorer in women’s NCAA history. And Georgia Woolley has almost 1,000 points, (981). Her family came over to see her play for the first time. She scored a career high 23 points.” AA: “That’s the way to thank your parents.”

A final word on the Niagara game: TL: “In the 60’s and 70’s, it was a real rivalry.” [Hopefully, Calvin Murphy won’t be showing up.] AA: They are balanced and have good guards, including a 5-10 guard who’s really quick. (Ahmad Henderson II 15.2ppg) and 7 foot center (Harlan Obioha 7-0 280 13.8p 12.8r). They are a big team for that level.” TL said that they avoid turnovers, 7 vs. Binghamton and 10 per game. AA: “That’s good, considering their pace of play. They have good players who know how to dribble and pass. I like having a lot of possessions. It works for us. But we can play any way.“

I was the only caller, probably because the show was done on a Wednesday and people may have thought there would be no show this week due to the Thursday game.

I'm fine with McLeod starting. If he's ineffective or the matchup for him seems like a bad one, Red can get him out of there quickly. If he can buy you some significant minutes at the start of the game, all the better. He just doesn't seem like the kind of player that you can insert off the bench and give you a spark, at least for now.
Yeah. Coach seems to want about 12-15 minutes from him.
That seems about right. We are actually giving 9 guys a chance to contribute every game. I like watching things develop with the minutes distribution. I'm thinking what we've seen the last few games is what they'll go with into the ACC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom