The Adrian Autry Show - before Oregon | Syracusefan.com

The Adrian Autry Show - before Oregon

SWC75

Bored Historian
Coach Autry’s radio show is on Thursdays, (Wednesdays until the Dino Babers Show ends) from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show is at Carrabba's Italian Grill at 550 Towne Drive, Fayetteville, NY. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which usually begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality. Last year they did a third half hour segment on Twitch.
Their schedule: AmeriCU Adrian Autry Show Starts Nov. 7 - Syracuse University Athletics

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics Someday they will get around to switching it from the "Jim Boeheim Show" to "The Adrian Autry Show", although it would be fun to have both.
Or on Twitter at https://twitter.com/MattPark1 or Twitter (@CuseLearfield) using the hashtag #AskAutry.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometimes simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | Live News, Sports, Music, Audiobooks, and Podcasts
If not, try: https://cuse.com/watch?Live=6575&type=Live

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

“Coach I have two questions on different subjects:

The incident with Giannis last night caused me to wonder if basketball games are played with just one ball or is it replaced during a game? Does a basketball that has had too much wear and tear behave differently when you shoot it or try to dribble it, the way a baseball does when you pitch it?

You said in your press conference after the Georgetown game that Quadir Copeland is a “naturally aggressive person”. Would you like Naheem McLeod to be a more aggressive person – or is he in the ‘gentle giant’ classification?”

COACH AUTRY
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning.)

Coach Autry was late again and Matt opened the show by describing the Georgetown game, playing radio highlight clips and clips from the postgame presser. Then he summarized ACC results, noting that Clemson was 9-0 and ranked 13th but that Louisville had gotten “tough to watch” in a 63-75 loss to Arkansas State, “which hurt the conference’s reputation”.

Coach finally showed up. Matt asked him how he was and he replied “Working”. He did seem more relaxed in this show, laughing several times and not treating the questions as if they were judgements about him.

Matt asked how a game in South Dakota against Oregon at this point of the schedule “came to be”. Coach said that, “scheduling is a big part of basketball. This will help prepare the team for the NCAA tournament. It will help the team and is a chance to improve our resume. You’re going to see us play more games like this. There are more high-level early games in college basketball”. [The hottest flame forges the strongest steel.] Matt: “The arena seats 3,500 with a low hanging roof. It’s part of a wide-open sports complex with all kinds of games. Auburn and Baylor played there in their opener.” AA: I’ve never been to South Dakota. It’s part of the college experience.” [I’m sure the players treasure the opportunity to got to South Dakota.]

Pat, still wanting to get off to a good start with the new coach, asked him if we’ll see more of Mounir Hima and when Chance Westry might be ready to play. [No alternative strategies, etc.] AA: “Mounir has battled health issues. He’s gotten better. He’s pushing through but still not where he wants to be. Our centers are big guys who can move but they have trouble guarding 6-8 guys who can shoot from outside. There’s no set time for Chance to come back. It won’t be early January. He’s looking good and progressing. We’re hopeful, wishful he could be back by mid-to-late January.”

I then asked my questions. Coach was mirthful in discussing Giannis’ situation. He came down on the Greek Freak’s side, as his was the home team and he’d just scored 64 points. “I hope to think we’re only using one ball and that it’s a good ball, one that’s been broken in. Don’t use an old ball.” Matt added that, at a typical game there’s a rack with a dozen balls and they take out 3-4 as “candidates” for the game ball. It’s not been used on blacktop, which would really degrade it. He also mentioned that the new Nike balls this year have been “softer, with a tacky surface, which has contributed to the number of wedgies this year.” [Basketball wedgies where a failed dunk attempt suspends the ball next to the rim.] He said they have “fallen off since early in the year. I said that’s why they aren’t wedgies – they fell off and Coach laughed. As to Naseem, Coach said “It depends on the day. You always want people to be aggressive. Naheem has his moments People think, ‘If I had that size and mobility, I’d be doing this and that.’ But it’s not as easy as it looks. He’s coming along.”

Michael called to express admiration for how the players are conducting themselves, including being honest about their emotions. AA: “In today’s world you expose your emotions. Everyone is ‘branding’. Everyone wants to be on TV. When I was in school, yeah, you wanted to be a professional athlete. But what are you going to do after that?” Matt wondered what Pearl Washington would have gotten in NIL. AA: “He’d have stayed for four years.” That’s a good cue for one of my favorite You-Tube clips:

A caller named Matt praised the team for playing hard but wondered about depth and what rotations Coach had found the most useful. AA: They vary. One spot is the spot that can go different ways – the 5, (the centers). We can go big and physical or be faster. The rest is on the perimeter in this day and age.” Matt said that in the Virginia game, there was a line up that was all guards at one time. (Probably when we were pressing.)

Vito from Liverpool said that Justin Taylor seemed to be struggling with his shot. He wondered how well he was practicing. AA: Justin does a lot of things for us that aren’t on the stat sheet. He stretches the defense [If he can make his shots], spacing and he rebounds. Justin and everybody on the team put their work in in practice.” Vito then asked how Chance Westry becoming available would affect the line-up. Who would he “steal minutes from? The 3 or the 2?” AA: “No one is stealing minutes. He may be cleared but he has to work his way back. He’s 6-5 or 6-6 and gives us another option. We’ll see when he gets back”.

Kyle in Carthage wanted to know how Oregon will help us prepare for the NCAA tournament. AA: Dana Altman’s have a reputation for being really good offensive teams. You’ve got to challenge yourself early. They have experienced players who know what it takes. It’s good for the fans because it will be an interesting, exciting game. ACC games are always interesting, exciting and fun games.” [I have a feeling one of the coaches I asked about previously that influenced Red is Tom Izzo.] Matt Park said that games off the beaten path create local excitement. AA: “Our brand is very strong.”

Last edited:
Coach Autry’s radio show is on Thursdays, (Wednesdays until the Dino Babers Show ends) from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show is at Carrabba's Italian Grill at 550 Towne Drive, Fayetteville, NY. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which usually begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality. Last year they did a third half hour segment on Twitch.
Their schedule: AmeriCU Adrian Autry Show Starts Nov. 7 - Syracuse University Athletics

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics Someday they will get around to switching it from the "Jim Boeheim Show" to "The Adrian Autry Show", although it would be fun to have both.
Or on Twitter at https://twitter.com/MattPark1 or Twitter (@CuseLearfield) using the hashtag #AskAutry.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometimes simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | Live News, Sports, Music, Audiobooks, and Podcasts
If not, try: https://cuse.com/watch?Live=6575&type=Live

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

“Coach I have two questions on different subjects:

The incident with Giannis last night caused me to wonder if basketball games are played with just one ball or is it replaced during a game? Does a basketball that has had too much wear and tear behave differently when you shoot it or try to dribble it, the way a baseball does when you pitch it?

You said in your press conference after the Georgetown game that Quadir Copeland is a “naturally aggressive person”. Would you like Naheem McLeod to be a more aggressive person – or is he in the ‘gentle giant’ classification?”

COACH AUTRY
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning.)

Coach Autry was late again and Matt opened the show by describing the Georgetown game, playing radio highlight clips and clips from the postgame presser. Then he summarized ACC results, noting that Clemson was 9-0 and ranked 13th but that Louisville had gotten “tough to watch” in a 63-75 loss to Arkansas State, “which hurt the conference’s reputation”.

Coach finally showed up. Matt asked him how he was and he replied “Working”. He did seem more relaxed in this show, laughing several times and not treating the questions as if they were judgements about him.

Matt asked how a game in South Dakota against Oregon at this point of the schedule “came to be”. Coach said that, “scheduling is a big part of basketball. This will help prepare the team for the NCAA tournament. It will help the team and is a chance to improve our resume. You’re going to see us play more games like this. There are more high-level early games in college basketball”. [The hottest flame forges the strongest steel.] Matt: “The arena seats 3,500 with a low hanging roof. It’s part of a wide-open sports complex with all kinds of games. Auburn and Baylor played there in their opener.” AA: I’ve never been to South Dakota. It’s part of the college experience.” [I’m sure the players treasure the opportunity to got to South Dakota.]

Pat, still wanting to get off to a good start with the new coach, asked him if we’ll see more of Mounir Hima and when Chance Westry might be ready to play. [No alternative strategies, etc.] AA: “Mounir has battled health issues. He’s gotten better. He’s pushing through but still not where he wants to be. Our centers are big guys who can move but they have trouble guarding 6-8 guys who can shoot from outside. There’s no set time for Chance to come back. It won’t be early January. He’s looking good and progressing. We’re hopeful, wishful he could be back by mid-to-late January.”

I then asked my questions. Coach was mirthful in discussing Giannis’ situation. He came down on the Greek Freak’s side, as his was the home team and he’d just scored 64 points. “I hope to think we’re only using one ball and that it’s a good ball, one that’s been broken in. Don’t use an old ball.” Matt added that, at a typical game there’s a rack with a dozen balls and they take out 3-4 as “candidates” for the game ball. It’s not been used on blacktop, which would really degrade it. He also mentioned that the new Nike balls this year have been “softer, with a tacky surface, which has contributed to the number of wedgies this year.” [Basketball wedgies where a failed dunk attempt suspends the ball next to the rim.] He said they have “fallen off since early in the year. I said that’s why they aren’t wedgies – they fell off and Coach laughed. As to Naseem, Coach said “It depends on the day. You always want people to be aggressive. Naheem has his moments People think, ‘If I had that size and mobility, I’d be doing this and that.’ But it’s not as easy as it looks. He’s coming along.”

Michael called to express admiration for how the players are conducting themselves, including being honest about their emotions. AA: “In today’s world you expose your emotions. Everyone is ‘branding’. Everyone wants to be on TV. When I was in school, yeah, you wanted to be a professional athlete. But what are you going to do after that?” Matt wondered what Pearl Washington would have gotten in NIL. AA: “He’d have stayed for four years.” That’s a good cue for one of my favorites You-Tube clips:

A caller named Matt praised the team for playing hard but wondered about depth and what rotations Coach had found the most useful. AA: They vary. One spot is the spot that can go different ways – the 5, (the centers). We can go big and physical or be faster. The rest is on the perimeter in this day and age.” Matt said that in the Virginia game, there was a line up that was all guards at one time. (Probably when we were pressing.)

Vito from Liverpool said that Justin Taylor seemed to be struggling with his shot. He wondered how well he was practicing. AA: Justin does a lot of things for us that aren’t on the stat sheet. He stretches the defense [If he can make his shots], spacing and he rebounds. Justin and everybody on the team put their work in in practice.” Vito then asked how Chance Westry becoming available would affect the line-up. Who would he “steal minutes from? The 3 or the 2?” AA: “No one is stealing minutes. He may be cleared but he has to work his way back. He’s 6-5 or 6-6 and gives us another option. We’ll see when he gets back”.

Kyle in Carthage wanted to know how Oregon will help us prepare for the NCAA tournament. AA: Dana Altman’s have a reputation for being really good offensive teams. You’ve got to challenge yourself early. They have experienced players who know what it takes. It’s good for the fans because it will be an interesting, exciting game. ACC games are always interesting, exciting and fun games.” [I have a feeling one of the coaches I asked about previously that influenced Red is Tom Izzo.] Matt Park said that games off the beaten path create local excitement. AA: “Our brand is very strong.”
Nice job. Glad to hear those aren’t brand new balls. I bought my Evolution in September and it’s getting close to perfect.

Nice job. Glad to hear those aren’t brand new balls. I bought my Evolution in September and it’s getting close to perfect.
Thx as always for these reports. I liked playing with ball that had a few months on it. Nike wasn't used when I played .

right here baby
1702668985560.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom