The Adrian Autry Show - before Virginia | Syracusefan.com

The Adrian Autry Show - before Virginia

SWC75

Bored Historian
Coach Autry’s radio show is on Thursdays, (Wednesdays until the Dino Babers Show ends) from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show is at Carrabba's Italian Grill at 550 Towne Drive, Fayetteville, NY. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which usually begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality. Last year they did a third half hour segment on Twitch.
Their schedule: AmeriCU Adrian Autry Show Starts Nov. 7 - Syracuse University Athletics

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics Someday they will get around to switching it from the "Jim Boeheim Show" to "The Adrian Autry Show", although it would be fun to have both.
Or on Twitter at https://twitter.com/MattPark1 or Twitter (@CuseLearfield) using the hashtag #AskAutry.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometimes simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | Live News, Sports, Music, Audiobooks, and Podcasts
If not, try: https://cuse.com/watch?Live=6575&type=Live

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

“Coach, both Judah Mintz and JJ Starling shot 30% from three point range last year. Those guys are so talented than many were hopeful that they’d show a big improvement this year. Judah is 9 for 21, (43%) through 7 games while JJ is 1 for 18 (5.6%). Where did JJ’s jump shot go?”

COACH AUTRY
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning.)

Matt summarized how the season has gone so far and all the challenges Red, as a new coach, has faced. Red: “It never stops going. There are a lot of ‘firsts’.

They went right into the first break and I called in my question. Autry evaded any talk of a physical issue or shot mechanics. “Shooting involves a lot of different things: different defenses, getting the right shots, getting going. Judah didn’t shoot well in the first couple of games.” [He has a point: he didn’t play against Daemon, was 0 for 2 vs. St. Rose, 1 for 4 against New Hampshire, then 2/3 vs. Canisius, then 0 for 3 against Colgate and 6 of 11 since.] “When you see shots going in, it helps.”

Matt, as he often downs, picked up the thread. “It’s not the largest of sample size.” [23% of the schedule] “Every shooter has rough places. The higher volume shooters can have them within a game. JJ is more selective (so his slumps can last longer).” AA: JJ is an all-round basketball player.” [Not if he can’t shoot.] “He gets assists, creates plays, (and rebounds). I’m not worried about his shooting. If you start off and the ball doesn’t go in, it can mess with you a little.”

Then Pat (20Plus) called in. I was glad to hear his voice. His relationship with Jim Boeheim had gotten so bad he’d stopped calling in. His comments are always interesting and he livens up any show. He clearly wanted to get off to a good start with the new coach and he said that he was excited about some of the innovations Coach Autry had brought to the team due to his “creativity and versatility”. He first asked about what “personal growth” the Coach had experienced in his new position. AA: “It’s a daily learning thing, having the final say. I try to think ahead and do what I think is best. I coached under one of the greatest coaches of and sometimes I bounce things off of him and other coaches who have mentored me. I lean on my contacts.”

Pat’s second question was about the importance of having 1-2 shooters on the floor at all times and if that’s why Red hasn’t used both big guys, (McLeod and Brown), on the floor at the same time. AA: “You always want to take advantage of your shooters to create plays. We have a lot of guys who can do the same thing. We need to spread the floor. With Judah starting to make shots, that’s a bonus.”

Matt asked for an example of Red borrowing from his mentors and he gave a surprising answer. “High school coaches don’t get enough credit. I like watching how they communicate and break the game down. I’ve taken to calling each skill session a ‘vitamin’. You keep taking vitamins, they build up over time.” Matt asked if it’s possible that high school athletes have a better attention span than college athletes. Red said it is: “College players have a lot on their plate.”

Tom In Manlius asked how the team practices rebounding. AA: “We do it every day. It’s one of our vitamins. We spend a lot of time on technique. We use football pads. Sometimes you get to the wrong spots. You have to create habits. It’s not just the big guys. When you are spaced out long shots can create long rebounds.” [And if you are spaced out it will hard to grab them.] Matt asked if Red would want his five best shooters or his five best rebounders out there. Great answer: “I’m still looking for them. It’s rebounding by committee. Our big guys aren’t perimeter guys so our guards have to get the long rebounds.”

Matt went over all the ACC-SEC challenge scores:
2023 ACC/SEC Challenge scores: Duke falls to Arkansas, Georgia beats FSU as leagues' duel ends in tie
It wound up 7-7. The most remarkable game was UNC’s 100-92 win over Tennessee, a team with a reputation as a tough defensive team. Knecht, (“Connect”) had 37 points before he got hurt. He didn’t even make 1st team All-Big Sky last year and now he’s one of the best players in the country. “It’s hard work and finding a great situation.” Joe Girard had a good game, (4 treys, 16 points, 4 assists and a couple of steals. He’s averaging 13.0, down from 16.4 last year but hitting 41.5% of his treys.

Erin, at Carabba’s, wondered if Coach keeps up with his old teammates. “Sure, I talk to Lawrence Moten, John Wallace and Luke Jackson all the time. Luke is down in Texas, doing fine. He’s quite a golfer. I can’t play but I go out.” (Laughs)

Somehow the conversation switched to Allen Griffin’s triple-double (2/27/01 14/10/11 vs. Pittsburgh), SU’s last. When Quadir Copeland approached a TD, (10/9/8) vs. Chaminade, per Red, Allen was about to “go out and tackle him”. A TD vs. the Silver Swords wouldn’t mean as much as one against the Panthers. Matt said his old broadcast partner, Gene Waldron “had the same attitude when anyone approached his Dome record 40 point game, which was finally beaten by Andrew White when he scored 43 in his last game here.” [Wrong: White tied Gene’s Dome record with 40 points on 3/4/17).

Joshua asked how recruiting for next year is going. Red can’t comment on specific players but said that “We’ve just finished the 2024 class. They are highly talent players.” Matt suggested the next challenge is “recruiting your own team”. AA: “You never know what players will want to jump. You’ve got to retain and build. Never assume.” Matt said it was big thing that Judah decided to come back. AA: “I wanted it to be his decision.” [Who else would it be?]

Somebody else asked about Mounir Hima. “He’s doing well but we have a lot of big guys ahead of him. We’re deep and talented.” [But we’re playing a power forward at center much of the time. Surely he’s not talking about Carey or Patterson.]

Matt asked about the keys to Virginia’s success. Is it scheme or personnel? “It’s a little bit of everything. They do it by committee, plug and play.” Matt: “London Perrantes, Kihei Clark, and now Reece Beekman.” AA: “All lock-down defenders. Beekman’s a gamer who makes big shots when they need them.” Matt: “Other than him they have three sophs and a freshman.” AA: “Similar to us. Their guys are young but they can defend.” Matt: “It’s a Noon start – but you’ve already played 9:30 games out in Hawaii.”

What does Red think of the new football coach, Fran Brown. “He’s a Jersey guy so we may know some of the same people. Their free agency period is coming up. I already had to do it. My situation was a little different because I was already here. It’s hard to determine what you need in a short period. My generation didn’t have to deal with what young adults have to deal with today.”

Last edited:
I'm going to have to get over to the next one in person.

Coach Autry’s radio show is on Thursdays, (Wednesdays until the Dino Babers Show ends) from 7-8 or 9PM on ESPN Radio in Syracuse, which is AM1200 or FM 97.7 on the dial. The show is at Carrabba's Italian Grill at 550 Towne Drive, Fayetteville, NY. The first hour, hosted by Matt Park, the Voice of the Orange, is on their general network. The second hour, which usually begins with the conference season, is hosted by Gomez, a local radio personality. Last year they did a third half hour segment on Twitch.
Their schedule: AmeriCU Adrian Autry Show Starts Nov. 7 - Syracuse University Athletics

You can call into the show locally at 315-424-8599 or nationally at 1-888-746-2873. For Gomez’s portion, use 315-424-8599. Or you can submit questions from this page:
Submit a Question! - Syracuse University Athletics Someday they will get around to switching it from the "Jim Boeheim Show" to "The Adrian Autry Show", although it would be fun to have both.
Or on Twitter at https://twitter.com/MattPark1 or Twitter (@CuseLearfield) using the hashtag #AskAutry.

The show can be heard in Syracuse on FM 99.5. It’s sometimes simulcast on AM 1200 or FM 97.7. You can also get it on: TuneIn | Free Internet Radio | Live News, Sports, Music, Audiobooks, and Podcasts
There’s now a third segment where Jim and Gomez can be seen on camera at:
The into article, (above), doesn’t say what the format will be: an hour show like the FB show or an hour plus a half hour on Twitch, the way Coach Boeheim did it last year or something else. We’ll all find out tonight.

MY QUESTIONS/COMMENTS

“Coach, both Judah Mintz and JJ Starling shot 30% from three point range last year. Those guys are so talented than many were hopeful that they’d show a big improvement this year. Judah is 9 for 21, (43%) through 7 games while JJ is 1 for 18 (5.6%). Where did JJ’s jump shot go?”

COACH AUTRY
(I have, in some instances, put together statements from different parts of the broadcast on the same subject. The quotes may not be verbatim –they are from my scribbled notes. I have not knowingly changed the meaning.)

Matt summarized how the season has gone so far and all the challenges Red, as a new coach, has faced. Red: “It never stops going. There are a lot of ‘firsts’.

They went right into the first break and I called in my question. Autry evaded any talk of a physical issue or shot mechanics. “Shooting involves a lot of different things: different defenses, getting the right shots, getting going. Judah didn’t shoot well in the first couple of games.” [He has a point: he didn’t play against Daemon, was 0 for 2 vs. St. Rose, 1 for 4 against New Hampshire, then 2/3 vs. Canisius, then 0 for 3 against Colgate and 6 of 11 since.] “When you see shots going in, it helps.”

Matt, as he often downs, picked up the thread. “It’s not the largest of sample size.” [23% of the schedule] “Every shooter has rough places. The higher volume shooters can have them within a game. JJ is more selective (so his slumps can last longer).” AA: JJ is an all-round basketball player.” [Not if he can’t shoot.] “He gets assists, creates plays, (and rebounds). I’m not worried about his shooting. If you start off and the ball doesn’t go in, it can mess with you a little.”

Then Pat (20Plus) called in. I was glad to hear his voice. His relationship with Jim Boeheim had gotten so bad he’d stopped calling in. His comments are always interesting and he livens up any show. He clearly wanted to get off to a good start with the new coach and he said that he was excited about some of the innovations Coach Autry had brought to the team due to his “creativity and versatility”. He first asked about what “personal growth” the Coach had experienced in his new position. AA: “It’s a daily learning thing, having the final say. I try to think ahead and do what I think is best. I coached under one of the greatest coaches of and sometimes I bounce things off of him and other coaches who have mentored me. I lean on my contacts.”

Pat’s second question was about the importance of having 1-2 shooters on the floor at all times and if that’s why Red hasn’t used both big guys, (McLeod and Brown), on the floor at the same time. AA: “You always want to take advantage of your shooters to create plays. We have a lot of guys who can do the same thing. We need to spread the floor. With Judah starting to make shots, that’s a bonus.”

Matt asked for an example of Red borrowing from his mentors and he gave a surprising answer. “High school coaches don’t get enough credit. I like watching how they communicate and break the game down. I’ve taken to calling each skill session a ‘vitamin’. You keep taking vitamins, they build up over time.” Matt asked if it’s possible that high school athletes have a better attention span than college athletes. Red said it is: “College players have a lot on their plate.”

Tom In Manlius asked how the team practices rebounding. AA: “We do it every day. It’s one of our vitamins. We spend a lot of time on technique. We use football pads. Sometimes you get to the wrong spots. You have to create habits. It’s not just the big guys. When you are spaced out long shots can create long rebounds.” [And if you are spaced out it will hard to grab them.] Matt asked if Red would want his five best shooters or his five best rebounders out there. Great answer: “I’m still looking for them. It’s rebounding by committee. Our big guys aren’t perimeter guys so our guards have to get the long rebounds.”

Matt went over all the ACC-SEC challenge scores:
2023 ACC/SEC Challenge scores: Duke falls to Arkansas, Georgia beats FSU as leagues' duel ends in tie
It wound up 7-7. The most remarkable game was UNC’s 100-92 win over Tennessee, a team with a reputation as a tough defensive team. Knecht, (“Connect”) had 37 points before he got hurt. He didn’t even make 1st team All-Big Sky last year and now he’s one of the best players in the country. “It’s hard work and finding a great situation.” Joe Girard had a good game, (4 treys, 16 points, 4 assists and a couple of steals. He’s averaging 13.0, down from 16.4 last year but hitting 41.5% of his treys.

Erin, at Carabba’s, wondered if Coach keeps up with his old teammates. “Sure, I talk to Lawrence Moten, John Wallace and Luke Jackson all the time. Luke is down in Texas, doing fine. He’s quite a golfer. I can’t play but I go out.” (Laughs)

Somehow the conversation switched to Allen Griffin’s triple-double (2/27/01 14/10/11 vs. Pittsburgh), SU’s last. When Quadir Copeland approached a TD, (10/9/8) vs. Chaminade, per Red, Allen was about to “go out and tackle him”. A TD vs. the Silver Swords wouldn’t mean as much as one against the Panthers. Matt said his old broadcast partner, Gene Waldron “had the same attitude when anyone approached his Dome record 40 point game, which was finally beaten by Andrew White when he scored 43 in his last game here.” [Wrong: White tied Gene’s Dome record with 40 points on 3/4/17).

Joshua asked how recruiting for next year is going. Red can’t comment on specific players but said that “We’ve just finished the 2024 class. They are highly talent players.” Matt suggested the next challenge is “recruiting your own team”. AA: “You never know what players will want to jump. You’ve got to retain and build. Never assume.” Matt said it was big thing that Judah decided to come back. AA: “I wanted it to be his decision.” [Who else would it be?]

Somebody else asked about Mounir Hima. “He’s doing well but we have a lot of big guys ahead of him. We’re deep and talented.” [But we’re playing a power forward at center much of the time. Surely he’s not talking about Carey or Patterson.]

Matt asked about the keys to Virginia’s success. Is it scheme or personnel? “It’s a little bit of everything. They do it by committee, plug and play.” Matt: “London Perrantes, Kihei Clark, and now Reece Beekman.” AA: “All lock-down defenders. Beekman’s a gamer who makes big shots when they need them.” Matt: “Other than him they have three sophs and a freshman.” AA: “Similar to us. Their guys are young but they can defend.” Matt: “It’s a Noon start – but you’ve already played 9:30 games out in Hawaii.”

What does Red think of the new football coach, Fran Brown. “He’s a Jersey guy so we may know some of the same people. Their free agency period is coming up. I already had to do it. My situation was a little different because I was already here. It’s hard to determine what you need in a short period. My generation didn’t have to deal with what young adults have to deal with today.”
Thanks Steve

Great job as usual SWC!!

Hope I am not reading too much into it but it sounds like Red may be "dancing" around the questions. Does not seem like he ever answered your initial question. Sooner or later we need to get some folks on the floor that can score besides Mintz and Bell!!!

Great job as usual SWC!!

Hope I am not reading too much into it but it sounds like Red may be "dancing" around the questions. Does not seem like he ever answered your initial question. Sooner or later we need to get some folks on the floor that can score besides Mintz and Bell!!!

Dino would have used a story or a movie reference.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom